GMC Acadia Forum banner

:: GM releases 400 HP V8 for Acadia in 2011 ::

23K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Narg 
#1 ·
LOL - don't we wish. The sadest days I have are trying to get that ANEMIC V6(Singer Sewing Machine noise and not getting anywhere - now) to pass another car on the highway. Come on GM, don't go under... listen to us,eh?!

The engine has the bottom-end, yet the mid-range and top-end lack oomph (engineers were sleeping). I mean my '83 GTI with 90HP when it was stock had more frickin' balls.

#4 ·
Actually, I would like a little more info. Where did you see this, what is the displacement. will it have the cylinder cutoffs etc. My first thought is that it is a bit of overkill. I would like a real efficient v-8 at around 325-350 ponies (I think that would fit my lust for power). other thoughts?

#5 ·
Sandman,
3rd timer is being humorous. There are no plans to do this, it is wishful thinking on his part. He is one of those guys that likes more power in their vehicles and tends to modify it to accomplish this goal.

I wonder how difficult it would be to get a Gen 4 V8 in there?

Did I say that out loud? :D

#7 ·
Yeah, we already had that discussion. If you've ever seen the pilot of Home Improvement, it went something like when Jill said to Tim "Don't touch the dishwasher!" Tim then got a Binford Blastmaster compressor and rewired the dishwasher for more power with predictable consequences!

One of my favorite shows, and for some trivia, Tim Allen's first car was a Corvair! His character had one on the show for a short period of time in one episode. Then he went to the dark side and started buying F**ds. :( He is a car guy in real life.

#8 ·
I love that show. It is a good one to let the kids watch. We were watching it the other day and I thought of your garage. It was the one where Tim sold his Hotrod to the Pizza King and he went to his house to buy it back. I think it was Jay Leno's actual garage, he was in it cleaning the cars. You only need a few more cars to get to his size!

#12 ·
JasonM said:
I wonder when it's going to be brought over the the Cadillac brand?
Before all the crap hit the fan, Cadillac was supposed to get a crossover based on the next gen Theta platform (Equinox/Torrent).

#13 ·
19inches said:
May be GM would be better off to just make Acadias!
Agreed. Maybe they should downsize to:

Chevy: Cars
GMC: Trucks, SUVs, Crossovers
Cadillac: Luxury lineup

#14 ·
GeoHawk said:
19inches said:

Chevy: Cars
GMC: Trucks, SUVs, Crossovers
Cadillac: Luxury lineup
I like this setup. Let's dream.... Who do you tnink will stay Tahoe or Yukon? Acadia or Traverse? Sierra or Silverado?

On all these I like the style and offerings of the GMC better except for the Silverado. But I know it's not apples to apples

#15 ·
Chop-Chop said:
I like this setup. Let's dream.... Who do you tnink will stay Tahoe or Yukon? Acadia or Traverse? Sierra or Silverado?

On all these I like the style and offerings of the GMC better except for the Silverado. But I know it's not apples to apples
Actually I like the Tahoe by just a bit, the Acadia (by a long way  ;D ), and just the front end of the Sierra but the Silverado from there on back (but I'd buy either over any other truck).  I'm thinking GM doesn't need to try to be all things to all potential buyers.  It just doesn't seem feasible.

#16 ·
GeoHawk said:
19inches said:

Chevy: Cars <---Yes, need to keep the Corvette, and the next one should have the styling and engine access of the 63-67 model![/color]
GMC: Trucks, SUVs, Crossovers <--- Sounds good to me, it is what they mainly do anyway, so little cost involved here.[/color]
Cadillac: Luxury lineup <--- Another good choice. Could incorporate some Buick styling & wood trim to retain those buyers.[/color]
In addition, Chevy could incorporate some Pontiac features to retain those buyers. I know many owners are marque sensitive, but something is better than nothing. I've owned an "orphan" car for over 30 years now & with the exception of the Durango, every model I own is no longer made, although the makers are still in business.

EDIT
Geo, how do you feel about changing the first letter of your user name to C, dropping the hawk, and moving to Detroit for a new job? :)

#17 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
GeoHawk said:
Agreed.  Maybe they should downsize to:

Chevy:  Cars <---Yes, need to keep the Corvette, and the next one should have the styling and engine access of the 63-67 model![/color]
GMC:  Trucks, SUVs, Crossovers <--- Sounds good to me, it is what they mainly do anyway, so little cost involved here.[/color]
Cadillac:  Luxury lineup <--- Another good choice. Could incorporate some Buick styling & wood trim to retain those buyers.[/color]
In addition, Chevy could incorporate some Pontiac features to retain those buyers. I know many owners are marque sensitive, but something is better than nothing. I've owned an "orphan" car for over 30 years now & with the exception of the Durango, every model I own is no longer made, although the makers are still in business.

EDIT
Geo, how do you feel about changing the first letter of your user name to C, dropping the hawk, and moving to Detroit for a new job? :)
There's no reason Chevrolet would have to keep the current line-up either.  Take the best from each of the brands, just a couple quick thoughts: 

Keep Malibu- Ditch Aura and G6
Keep G8 - Ditch Impala (not platform mates but similar in size)
Keep Solstice - Ditch Sky
Definitely keep Corvette
Ditch Cobalt and G5 - Keep Astra or get the Cruze in place ASAP

Just thinking out loud.   :beer:

#18 ·
I agree with the thinking, but I am sure GM is not on the same page. They are bringing out a Pontiac version of the Chevy Aveo which will be the G3. http://www.pontiac.com/showFutureG3.do

There goes the "performance division" idea. At least my Vibe won't be the worst performing Pontiac. :)

#21 ·
I think we will see a bunch more turbocharging in many more models. While it has some negatives with extra things to go wrong, it does give good mileage without sacrificing performance.

#22 ·
A supercharger/blower would increase the power . I believe it would be an easier install than a turbo charger set up. Premium fuel would be a must.

Bobby

#23 ·
The only possible thing to result from installing a 400HP V8 in our Acadia that I can think of would be.... license revocation. >:D I drive plenty fast already. Or maybe I just like to flog an engine as hard as I can. :blob:

Then again, the ticket problem really hasn't been so bad since 55mph went away (thank god) and stuff I drive lasts a good long time so the flogging isn't really that bad... and more power IS better... and gas is nice and cheap again... yes, I can rationalize this, SURE sign me up!!

#25 ·
I agree. I have now put on 14K and have adjusted to how the 6 speed works and am very happy with the performance. It's the heaviest vehicle we have and still outperforms the other two by a wide margin!!

#26 ·
I came down a bit in engines when I moved to my Lambda. I drove a Silverado with the 300 horse V8. Power anywhere, anytime, any reason... It was nice. The V6 is a bit less, but not by much. At 281 or 288 horses with dual exhaust on the 2009's its really close. 20 more pounds of torque on the dual exhaust version too. Where I think the difference is in is the transmission. For years the foreign makers have been putting 6 speed trannys in their cars and SUVs. GM was almost obliged to add one to their line up. I think it's the transmission that steals power from the engine on the top end.Not a lot, but it does seem the engine has more than you're getting on the wheels at higher speeds. The reason I'm sure is for fuel economy.

Overall I'm pleased with the engine power. I'm having a little trouble learning this drive train's personality. There does seem to be a slight more lag on pedal push to engine response compared to my old V8 truck. And, there's a bit of gear searching at times that I'm not used to. But the power is there, and it moves very nicely when the tranny gets into the right gear.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.