GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still waiting for GM to call me back for over two weeks now due to a problem related to bulletin number PI3146B. On cold starts the car revs up and down on high idle. They said it was bad fuel and drained the tank flushed the lines and added an additive. It worked until I filled up again (SHELL) and the problem started all over again. I brought it to the dealer again Wednesday 5/28/08 and they had no resolution for the problem that GM engineers were working the issue. I switched fuels and the problem has gone away for now but for how long. They said it was either water or high alcohol in the fuel made in the SE region.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Re: GM really cares......

Weird, ours does that too, never thought it was the fuel though. I thought it was the programming. We us BP so I wonder if it is really the fuel. Not the first time I heard the watered down fuel thing either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Schram,
Where do you live. I live in Luling , La and use only Shell gas until the problem started. I used medium grade Spur gas last time and the problem has gone away.

·
Registered
487 Posts

Shell may have to many detergents in the fuel that the computers don't know how to handle. I have noticed different fuels cause my wifes Grand Am to act way different on cold startup.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Company car, company gas card from Shell. Had some engine startup problems. Switched to PetroCanada; problems ceased.

I would hazard a guess that you might want to try switching brands.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Anthony3 said:
Schram,
Where do you live. I live in Luling , La and use only Shell gas until the problem started. I used medium grade Spur gas last time and the problem has gone away.
...........strange............i live in luling also lol......and have the same issue hahaha

·
Registered
812 Posts

shifted to Shell with no problems just a much better feel for the engine..... maybe its time to check your Shell station, they might be adding Kerosene!!!!! ;D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Well,
I have now tried my 3rd different gas station. Shell, Pit stop and Chevron and with the same results. I called the dealership today and the additive they put in the car is an octane booster according to my dealer rep. I called GM but they never return calls. I will try medium grade next but what the hell at these prices....Running low grade gas is what switched me from Acura to the Acadia. Dealership said to what until the gas is reblended or changes. That was the anwer...

·
Registered
428 Posts
It could very well be something to do with the summer blend of gas in your area. I live in the Houston Texas area and I run regular gas with now problems here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I conducted my own test and have figured out that the Acadia's do not like high ethanol fuel (10%). After the problem with an erratic idle upon cold start continued I researched and found out that ethanol actually reduces the octane by 1-2 %. So, I decided to add five gallons of supreme gas to a tank of regular and poof! the problem went away. I called GM and they said I'll have to wait until the refineries in the SE region change the ethanol blending. I said what if they don't what is GM going to do, this seems to be a reprogram issue that GM engineers can handle and I was told that GM does not fix fuel issues, it has to be the gas stations. So I now have an Acadia that will not run properly on regular gas.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey Anthony,

I had a similar problem on my 97 Firebird using Chevron 87 octane gas. My car's engine sputtered and nearly died. It ran afterwards, but not very good. I always used 92 but wanted to try the cheap gas. Once I switched back to 92 it ran fine. What could be happening is the gas is NOT 87 octane; the gas companies may be cheapening the gas by not putting the correct octane levels. As mentioned, the Acadia requires at least 87 octane.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts