GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody signed up the GM Protection plan? I just received a notice in the mail to extend my 3yr/36,000 warranty to 5yr/100,000. I went online and it looks like the best deal is 6yr/100,000 for around $2,190 with no deductible. It also appears the best time to sign up would be right before you hit 12,000 miles. What are everybody’s thoughts on the value/price?

FYI - the site is www.gmpponline.com

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I am not going to pay anything for extending.

We get the 5/yr 100,000 mile warranty on the major items. http://www.gmc.com/100kwarranty/coverage.jsp

I cannot justify paying money for many of the little things that most likely won't go bad and probably will not cost that much to fix.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I was really dissapointed in the number of items the GMPP excludes. That along with the powertrain already being covered to 100K swayed me away from purchasing the extended warranty.

·
Registered
143 Posts
gmoutlet.com has it for $1615, assuming you're talking about Major Guard. GeoHawk, I thought the list was pretty inclusive, what am I missing that is covered by the 3/36k warranty?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I wouldn't get gmpp just because the techs only get paid warranty prices, not customer pay. I think that sucks for the techs. You gotta throw them a bone now and again, they are there to make money, warranty does not pay worth a crap. It forces them to take short cuts if they are not real skilled in there job. As a gm tech of old (6 years agao), I personally wouldn't take short cuts for quality purposes, but many did to get paid!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
lewisra said:
gmoutlet.com has it for $1615, assuming you're talking about Major Guard. GeoHawk, I thought the list was pretty inclusive, what am I missing that is covered by the 3/36k warranty?
I guess I was just comparing it to the HondaCare warranty we had for our Odyssey. The GMPP list does appear to be pretty inclusive, but the HondaCare warranty covered the entire vehicle with the exception of the DVD player screen (this was back in 2002 when the technology was still fairly new), tires, brakes pads, and light bulbs. I'm thinking the differences were in the chassis/suspension components and exhaust items that HondaCare covered that GMPP doesn't, but with the GM 100K powertrain coverage we didn't think it was worth the extra expense (we paid only $765 for a 6 year/100K HondaCare warranty for our Odyssey). For some reason I was thinking there were electronics that GMPP didn't cover, but reading up on a sample contract I can no longer find that distinction. Maybe I'm just full of it. :crazy:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will most likely extend mine as the time grows closer. Since I only have 180 miles, I am not particularly concerned right now. For those who haven't been through this before, the offers you get in the mail are probably the worst possible price. As suggested above gmoutlet.com has pretty good prices, I have used them before. Or if you are not comfortable with that, go to your dealer and work with them to get a fair price less than list. There is a fair amount of margin in there.

There are a ton of electronics in these cars, I am not sure I would want to be on the receiving end of a repair to any electronic piece of a modern car.

I recently traded a car that had extended warranty and was able to get the dealer to move on the price because there was remaining warranty.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lewisra and chicago_cws for the gmoutlet.com site. I will look into that for better pricing when I get ready to purchase the gmpp. I agree with chicago_cws about all the complicated electronics in new modern cars and how expensive they will be if and when they go out. For that reason alone, I will probably go with the extended warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts