GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 08. The dealer wanted $495 to install a hitch and harness so I bought the hitch for $99 and installed it myself but I can not find the parts numbers for the harness. I figure it has to be on piece that has the male on one end to go into the wheel well receptacle with the 7 pin connector and cover on the hitch end. Does any one know all the part number needed?

·
Registered
428 Posts
The part numbers are as follows. The wiring harness itself is GM# 25845096 and the receptacle is GM#12191503. Here is the hard part though. In order for the wiring harness to work you are going to have to have the fuse block under the hood changed. The fuse block in the non towing package vehicles does not support the wiring harness. The only thing that works in the harness now is the parking lights. The charge at my dealer to change the fuseblock out was 584.00 for parts and labor. I got my dealer to pay for half as they told me that putting a towing package on the acadia was no big deal. Oh and by the way do not go and have the tail lights spliced into for a 4 way plug. It messes the LED lights up and you will be paying to replace the lights and they are not cheap.....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I agree that splicing into the LED lights and having the circuit that drives the LED lights also drive the trailer is a big problem. However, I am nearly 100% sure that you can use a powered converter such as http://www.usa-trailer-hitches.com/products/119176 and not hurt anything. I am nearly certain that these powered converters are compatible with the LED lights and it also specifically says so.

I purchased the HELM manuals and have looked at the schematic and the differences between the fuse blocks. The trailering block simply adds relays for driving the trailer lights. These powered converters are essentially the same thing. They use the battery power to run the trailer lights and draw almost no current from the vehicle's turn signal circuits.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The powered converter might be a good way to go but I felt that it was better to just make use of the factory wiring. Less things that COULD go wrong this way. And with the things that go wrong on this vehicle the less I have to worry about the better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: GM Part Number(s)?

Thanks! I will try the modulator. There are a couple of idiotic issues such as the wrong fuse block and no bluetooth for handsfree phone. I am sure this items will be fixed and included in 09.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
One thing to consider is to have the dealer do it. My dealer gave me a price of class IV hitch with 7 pin connector (with modulator and not fuse box) installed for $235. So yes it would be aftermarket parts, but if they hosed something up, then they would be the ones to cover it.

Just a thought.

GAR

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am confused about the wiring harness. I got my dealer to agree to replace the fuse block under warranty after a long, long discussion and showing proof of the TSB. I have an 07 and the wiring harness is inside the rear bumper. Do I just need to buy the receptacle part# GM#12191503 or do I need to buy both the receptacle and the wire harness? Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think with the 07 all you need is the receptacle. The 08's have to have the harness too but the 07's came with it from the factory. Good luck... :thumb:

·
Registered
281 Posts
dfrank78-
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it was just the receptacle.

Bill

·
Registered
281 Posts
lewisra-

I was thinking it was the receptacle that is on the left of your picture. I have the 7-pin to 4-pin plug on the right of your picture already. Is this plug (on the left) just plug into the factory harness that is underneath the rear bumper? Thanks for the picts. as well.

Bill

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't know about plugging in to the factory harness under the bumper. (mine came with tow package). The "receptacle" on the left is a $5 or $6 part at your local auto parts store. I'd cut the plug off(if one exists) and wire into one of these receptacles and save at least $30.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The factory receptacle is actually fairly inexpensive. I cant remember the exact amount I paid but it wasnt very high.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Dfrank78-

Did you just plug the gm part into the existing wire harness under the bumper? Thanks.

Bill

lewisra-thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes the wiring harness just plugs into the GM receptacle. If you have the factory hitch it has a bracket that the receptacle twists into.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Just the info I need.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just wanted to give a heads up for anyone who wants to buy the GM part#12191503, I found some on ebay for $9.99 plus a couple of dollars in shipping. I think my total was about $14.00. That is a lot cheaper than I could find on gmpartsonline or at my dealer. If I remember correctly, gmpartsonline had them for about $25.00 with a huge charge for shipping. I have included a link below to the ebay auction. I hope the link works. If not, just use this search:

gm #12191503

Hope this helps.

Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-OEM-GM-Trailer-Plug-Hitch-Connector-GM-12191503_W0QQitemZ260239472467QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260239472467&

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the fuse block needed for the 2008 acadia in order for the harness to have full brake light and directional service going to the plug at the right rear wheel well. And has anybody chnged there own fuse block instead of having the dealer do it . It looks like it is easy enough to pop out unplug and plud the new one in . Any issues doing that. Thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
428 Posts
The are a couple different part numbers. You have to have the original part number from the original fuse block to order the new one. The tech at my dealership said you can use a mirror to look under the fuseblock to see the part number.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts