GMC Acadia Forum banner

GM may drop Chevy Volt, Sonic and 4 other vehicles

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  divotdug 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Story is behind a paywall that some, myself included, may not choose to subscribe.

Here is some different speculation on the topic that is free on autoblog.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/07/21/gm-may-kill-6-car-models-as-it-works-with-uaw-to-tackle-sales-sl/

The president of the United Auto Workers union said on Thursday the union is talking with General Motors about the potential threat to plants and jobs from slumping U.S. car sales. GM's response will be more trucks and SUVs, and sources say at least six slow-selling car models may be killed off.

"We are talking to (GM) right now about the products that they currently have" at underused car plants such as Hamtramck in Michigan and Lordstown in Ohio, and whether they might be replaced with newer, more popular vehicles such as crossovers, Dennis Williams told reporters.

"We are tracking it (and) we are addressing it," Williams added.

GM has cut shifts at several U.S. plants this year as inventories of unsold cars have ballooned. Industry analysts said more jobs could be at risk as the automaker wrestles with permanently shrinking production of small and midsized sedans.

GM is reviewing whether to cancel at least six passenger cars in the U.S. market after 2020, including the Chevrolet Volt hybrid, which could be replaced in 2022 with a new gasoline-electric crossover model, Reuters has learned from people familiar with the plans.

Other GM cars at risk include the Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CT6, Cadillac XTS, Chevrolet Impala and Chevrolet Sonic, sources said.

Some analysts have singled out GM's Hamtramck plant in Detroit as one of the most vulnerable because of plummeting car sales.

The plant, which opened in 1985, builds four slow-selling models: Buick LaCrosse, Chevrolet Impala, Cadillac CT6 and Chevrolet Volt.

In the first half, it built fewer than 35,000 cars, down 32 percent from the same period in 2016, according to suppliers familiar with GM's U.S. production schedule. The typical GM assembly plant builds 200,000-300,000 vehicles a year.

#3 ·
I often wish GM would switch back to near what it used to be - Buick and Cadillac producing cars only, Chevy building cars/trucks, and GMC only making trucks. All this hoopla is just because soccer moms want CUVs and SUVs instead of a nice sedan.

BTW, I had no problem reading either linked article.

#5 ·
I fear another financial bubble about to burst in the auto world.

I see the Fed slowly raising interest rates while auto manufacturers continue to offer 6 year 0% interest loans on some vehicles that are depreciating faster than ever.

I've been looking to get a CTS Cadillac. New ones I have been looking at are around $60k. I can find 3 year old CPO's, less than 30k miles for $27-28k. Pretty hard to justify buying a new one.

As long as gas prices are low, CUV's and SUV's are going to continue to rule the market. When a soccer mom does want a nice sedan it is usually an Accord or Camry.

#4 ·
I like the Volt. Really wanted one too, until I saw that gawd awful dashboard!

And what is it with NOT making vehicles in COLORS anymore? It took me 6 months to find an Acadia in burgandy!
Even when I was looking for a truck back in 2010, I ran across a burgandy Sierra and snatched it up!

When I was growing up, vehicles came in colors: brown, green, yellow, gold, and even sometimes blue.

Nowadays the ONLY "colored" vehicles I see are made by non-American companies, and even at that, its usually just red or blue.

I love that glitter effect chocolate brown color. I had a '77 Chevy "monster" van that color. Had a '72 Buick Skylark Custom in a bronze gold color that was awesome.

All I see nowdays is BEIGE! Beige is NOT a color, it is a BASE COAT!

I despise beige. White is boring, black is for funerals, and silver is nothing more than primer.

Red is nice, but its "standard". Burgandy is nice when you can find it, but it's a rarity.

Even when I went looking on new car lots a few months ago, before I got the Acadia, everything was black, white, and dull grey!
Dark grey is nice, but color would be better.

If they want to sell these vehicles, then they need to put COLORS on and IN them! No more dull and boring beige interior! How about some eggplant color, chocolate brown, electric blue, or even bronze gold?

Bring back the glory days of LIVING COLOR!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.