GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to install the GM Lockpick in the Acadia?

This unit is a plug-in unit that is designed to unlock features in the radios while the vehicle is moving like:
* DVD / Aux Input Video
* XM Category Scrolling
* NAV Destination Input
* NAV POI and Route management
* Unlock Camera / Backup Camera in Reverse Input
* OnStar Dialing

The last time I checked at the end of January, they hadn't tested it with the Acadia yet, and I didn't really want to be a beta tester.

As a note, the this device apparently works by telling the radio that you aren't moving, and subsequently, I believe, that the NAV unit won't update your location while any of these options are in effect. You can however, turn these features on and off so you can switch between NAV and other functions while driving. You just have to wait for the NAV to recalculate your location.

The unit sells for $249, and is available from Coastal Electronics Technologies at http://www.coastaletech.com/GMLOCKPICK.htm

The users/owners manual is available at: http://www.coastaletech.com/Downloads/GM LOCKPICK GEN 2.pdf

They also have videos available on the site that show the device in operation.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Re: GM LockPick : Unlocking XM, CD, Camera, and NAV Radio Functions

In most recent Car and Driver they did a review of the Lexus Rx400 hybrid. The complained about the disclaimer screen onthe NAV.

In the blurb after the write up they said they installed a bypass from coastaletech.com and liked it. Just they had to rip apart the whole dash board to do it.

That would suck if it won;t update where you are on the NAV. What is the purpose of entering an address if it won;t recalc.

OR do you have to type it in and then deactivate it to have it recalc your location?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

NY_Joe said:
In most recent Car and Driver they did a review of the Lexus Rx400 hybrid. The complained about the disclaimer screen onthe NAV.

In the blurb after the write up they said they installed a bypass from coastaletech.com and liked it. Just they had to rip apart the whole dash board to do it.

That would suck if it won;t update where you are on the NAV. What is the purpose of entering an address if it won;t recalc.

OR do you have to type it in and then deactivate it to have it recalc your location?
It's my understanding that the new GM unit is a plug-in unit with no wire-cutting required. I think you have to pop out the radio and connect it behind the radio, which isn't supposed to be too difficult from what they say. As for updating the NAV, I guess you get your choice of Video/Scrolling or NAV, not both, but you can switch it so if you are using NAV and you want to scroll XM, then just enable the Lockpick, set your station, then disable the lockpick and the NAV will reposition you. As for the address, you may have to do the same thing, I'm not sure. That's why I wanted to see if anyone had one yet.

·
Registered
108 Posts

I installed the device from coastaletech and it does not work on the Acadia so I returned it. I was told they would update their website when one is available. However, tvandnav2go.com claims that their device ($299) which is similar to coastaletech does work on the Acadia and that he would have it in stock on Wednesday. I mainly want it to unlock the XM radio categories and nav address option while in motion.

·
Registered
215 Posts

rae0568 said:
I installed the device from coastaletech and it does not work on the Acadia so I returned it. I was told they would update their website when one is available. However, tvandnav2go.com claims that their device ($299) which is similar to coastaletech does work on the Acadia and that he would have it in stock on Wednesday. I mainly want it to unlock the XM radio categories and nav address option while in motion.
Thanks for the info!

That "lawyer lock", as I like to call it, makes the mp3 discs and XM browsing features useless as you can't do anything while in motion. I realize that I shouldn't mess with (and normally don't) this while driving but my passenger can. I hate being protected from myself :drunk:

Also, since you installed this, does that mean you ripped apart your dash and found where stuff is buried? :p Happen to find the XM module? :angel:

·
Registered
108 Posts

I didn't see the XM module, but I did not look for it either. The dash was really easy to take apart. Start from the gear shift area and work your way up to the vents. It's all held in place by clamps that pop loose with some pressure. The key is finding the exact area of the clamp and lift with gentle pressure. I reinstall the dash in reverse direction, starting from the vents and working my way down to the gear shift and cup holder area. Funny how they let you have access to certain functions and block others.

·
Registered
305 Posts

The only potential problem with these after market products is that they probably void the warranty on all those items its affecting such as the navigation system. Anyone know for sure??

·
Registered
794 Posts

Could you see the subwoofer while you were in there?

·
Registered
108 Posts

I do not recall seeing the subwoofer from my view. Most of the cabling from the nav is routed and sits under the unit itself. I removed the control panel for heated seats/traction control but it did not dawn on me to look for the subwoofer. I am ordering from tvandnav2go on Wednesday and will provide detailed pictures next time I remove the center dash panel.

·
Registered
108 Posts

luvmyacadia said:
The only potential problem with these after market products is that they probably void the warranty on all those items its affecting such as the navigation system. Anyone know for sure??
The manufacturer will not honor your warranty (nav) if you add this aftermarket product.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hello,

New acadia owner as of Sunday.

We really like it but hate the lockout features of the nav and the radio (XM).

Anyone have an update on the below topic?

Any help is appreciated.

Ross

·
Registered
242 Posts

I can change my XM categories when I am driving. In the middle of the screen if it says like Decades touch on that and the whole listing of genres will pop up.

·
Registered
108 Posts

GMLOCKPICK Update:

Tvandnav2go forgot to call me when the prodcut arrived. I just placed the order today and will update you on my findings. I spoke with Dominic @ tvandnav2go; he said their product ($299) was the same device as Coastaletech but has a 2 video inputs and configured to worked with the Acadia. If it doesn't work, I guess I will have to return it as well. It took Coastaletech about 2 weeks to refund my credit card.

·
Registered
132 Posts

to me, this seems like a simple fix that already exists in the acadia. there is a sensor in the front seat to turn on/off the airbag depending on the existense/weight of the front row passenger. why couldn't you link that sensor to the xm scrolling and nav system? thus, if someone is sitting in the from passenger seat, you would have full function; if not, then it would be locked out as it is now.

·
Registered
108 Posts

I tracked my GM LOCKPICK order from tvandnav2go and it shows a delivery date of 4/9, Monday. I won't get a chance to install it until Tuesday after work. If it works on the Acadia as tvandnav2go claims, I will post installation pictures and a short video by Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. For those of you interested, cross your fingers and stand by because the GM LOCKPICK from coastaletech didn't work in my last installation.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have installed the lockpick from tvandnav2go and works just like they said.  Don't worry and enjoy.  It took longer to take the dash apart and put together, then installation.  Total time 10 minutes.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Hi Wea.

Can you give us some details of the unit? How you switch it on and or off? Switch inputs, etc? I have to say the website for tvandnav2go is not the greatest and honestly does not give a good impression of how the system works. The one sure thing I like about the system from Coastaltech is that it is all controlled from existing steering wheel controls. They certainly have great video's on their site to explain what it is, and how it works. Although in the end Coastal does not have anything that works at this time.

Anything you can say, good or bad would certainly be helpful.

BTW Are you using any of the other video inputs, or was it just for XM and Navi issues (removing the lawyer locks). Anyone going to try and install one of those small computers into the system? Not sure Composite video would work that well honestly.

Dave...

·
Registered
211 Posts

So if you install one of these, could you hook up a tv tuner to it so that you could watch tv? Or do you even need a "Lockpick"?

·
Registered
231 Posts

I think it would be cool to have an aftermarket backup camera integrate into a Garmin nav system

·
Premium Member
969 Posts

wea said:
I have installed the lockpick from tvandnav2go and works just like they said. Don't worry and enjoy. It took longer to take the dash apart and put together, then installation. Total time 10 minutes.
Nice.

Do you have any pics of the install or a write up on your experience with it?

1 - 20 of 141 Posts