GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet to tell my dealer about my GM Credit card earnings. Are these earnings taken off the price of the car PRIOR to taxes being added? This could save me a couple hundred dollars in tax. It's been so long since I bought a new car that I can't remember.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
In my state the GM Card earnings were treated like another rebate and were deducted from the taxable purchase price. I'm not sure where, but I think I've read that in some areas sales tax is calculated on the gross price (before rebates).

·
Registered
35 Posts
In Illinois we have to pay taxes on the GM Card earnings. Across the river in Iowa they do not so it obviously depends
on which Sate you live in & their rules.. If I would have gone across the river & bought in Iowa I would still have to pay
taxes on it like I bought it in Illinois. They get you no matter what! :confused:

·
Registered
468 Posts
loach said:
In my state the GM Card earnings were treated like another rebate and were deducted from the taxable purchase price. I'm not sure where, but I think I've read that in some areas sales tax is calculated on the gross price (before rebates).
Same here in MN. Any GM card earnings reduce the amount that is taxed.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
We get hosed here in Kansas. GM Card earnings are treated as cash and come off after tax is calculated, just like a rebate. The only thing we get to take off before tax is any trade-in value if you trade a vehicle.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keith said:
I ahve applied GM earnings twice. The earnings are deducted from the price before tax is calculated
I meant to go through my filing cabinet last night to see what they did. If they won't charge tax until after the deduction, then that is a nice $200+ savings for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts