1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
956 Posts
This rumor has been circulating for a few years now, and I wouldn't be surprised if the economy doesn't pick up. It's a real crime what has happened to GM. Forty years ago it was the backbone of the US economy and now it's struggling to stay afloat and it's all due to bad management, poor product planning, and poor quality control.

·
Registered
347 Posts
This is a troubling development. I can understand GM's concern about how the constantly rising gas prices, and therefore the downturn in demand for large non-gas efficient vehicles, is causing them to reconsider their bottom line. But, to just dump the GMC division does not make sense. Perhaps if the projected design and vision for the GMC division were changed, say . . . redesign the powerplants, utilize improved technology in truck and SUV/crossover powerplants, develop more power/gas/oil efficient vehicles could greatly improve sales. As someone else suggested: Would GM really consider dropping their entire commercial truck line, or just dump the consumer end only? ??? :confused: :eek:hno:

And then there is the obvious question that affects us GMC Acadia owners:
How is dropping the GMC Division going to effect our after sale situations, including warranty related repairs, replacement parts, service updates, TSB's, and just general service? I can't imagine anyone learning about GM's plans and not taking some pause or exhibit some concerns about how it will affect their purchase. That kind of corporate change could completely reverse GM's gains in the crossover market, especially since this is one of the few times in recent memory that GM has hit on a winner! :eek: :-\

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It makes sense. GM has too many brands. The Asian manufacturers do just fine with 2-3 brands each:

Honda - Main brand + luxury brand
Toyota - Main brand + luxury brand + young edgy brand (Scion)
Nissan - Main brand + luxury brand
Hyundai - Main brand + cheap brand (Kia)

GM:
Chevy - Main brand for the masses
Cadillac - Luxury brand
Buick - Old people brand. Not really a luxury brand. Dump it.
GMC - Truck only brand. Redundant. Dump it. (Not talking about commercial truck brand).
Pontiac - Sporty brand. Redundant with Chevy. Dump it.
Saturn - Japanese wannabe brand. Whatever.
Hummer - Unique, but a decaying asset.
Saab - European brand. Whatever.

GM could probably create a lot of efficiency by dropping down to 3-4 brands. Ford should probably dump Mercury and Chrysler should probably limit Dodge to just a truck brand. No reason to worry about service on your Acadia. Do you think Oldsmobile owners have trouble getting service at GM dealers? Of course not - when the cars are all rebadges of other GM cars, there are plenty of parts.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Loach, I'm glad you reminded me of the shared Lambda design. Hopefully, in the event GM does decide to dump the GMC division, they will ensure that the parts that are compatible with the Acadia are available. But, there is the concern about those items that are germain to the Acadia only (those parts and features that differ from the other badges). Either way, I'm sure there are others who will be put off from buying an Acadia in the interim because of those concerns for the future of that division.

In all honesty, and from a (hopefully) objective viewpoint, I completely agree that GM should make the changes you suggest in order to remain solvent. And, you are right on the money about what Ford should do in their corporate structure. All of the Big Three should consider Lean and Mean. At the same time, it's too bad that all those division have to be sacrificed.

I think Big Bear Craig was correct about his assessment of the "reason" for such a decline. It has everything to do with poor quality controls, customer service (GM corporate and dealerships), poor planning and overall management. It took a long time, but unfortunately, the chicken are coming home to roost. It's too bad that greed and relative indifference from the corporate level down to the worker and union level has resulted in this situation. Hopefully a revamp of the system and different management will revitalize the industry in the United States.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
detnick said:
And then there is the obvious question that affects us GMC Acadia owners:
How is dropping the GMC Division going to effect our after sale situations, including warranty related repairs, replacement parts, service updates, TSB's, and just general service? I can't imagine anyone learning about GM's plans and not taking some pause or exhibit some concerns about how it will affect their purchase. That kind of corporate change could completely reverse GM's gains in the crossover market, especially since this is one of the few times in recent memory that GM has hit on a winner! :eek: :-\
Won't affect any of those. Reference the Olds closeout; since the vehicles were on shared platforms, other GM division dealerships had the tools etc to support them. Same with the Plymouth close. I woudn't worry about that.

Interesting thing I read today; GM may be considering dropping their 1/2 body-on-frame SUVs and trucks and replacing them with unibody (the article referenced the Lambdas specifically). That would be an interesting development.

·
Registered
635 Posts
loach said:
Chevy - Main brand for the masses
Cadillac - Luxury brand
Buick - Old people brand. Not really a luxury brand. Dump it.
GMC - Truck only brand. Redundant. Dump it. (Not talking about commercial truck brand).
Pontiac - Sporty brand. Redundant with Chevy. Dump it.
Saturn - Japanese wannabe brand. Whatever.
Hummer - Unique, but a decaying asset.
Saab - European brand. Whatever.
Intersting points but I take exception to your comment about Saturn. I have never seen it as a "Japanese wannabe". I own 2 and owned another till I traded it in on a new one. Nothing about these screem Japanese:

Outlook = Acadia, Enclave, Traverse
Aura, became a Chevy Malibu and same body on a Cadillac and Pontiac
Ion, became the new Chevy Cobalt.

GM has used Saturn to market or test new styles for the other GM lines. If your comment holds any water you are calling several of the lines Japanese wannabes, which would make your Acadia one along with your other cars.

·
Registered
812 Posts
big bear craig said:
This rumor has been circulating for a few years now, and I wouldn't be surprised if the economy doesn't pick up. It's a real crime what has happened to GM. Forty years ago it was the backbone of the US economy and now it's struggling to stay afloat and it's all due to bad management, poor product planning, and poor quality control.
im surprised to hear that from you BBC, you finally admit it eh.... and yet you accuse me of being anti-GM!!!! ;D

loach said:
It makes sense. GM has too many brands. The Asian manufacturers do just fine with 2-3 brands each:
dont blame GM for having too many brands, thats the reason they were Numero Uno in the first place and why they wer for a long time the backbone of our workforce.
if GM would have cover the basics in the first place -- quality control and customer service coupled with great brand design then this would have been less troubling. The sale of the iconic Hummer brand says it all.... use to be the pride of American design now its going to the Chinese after being pass around Tata Motors of India. :eek:hno:

But its never too late and with the recent jump in improvement of GM design which is ironic as most are mere copies from their sister foreign automotive partners (Holden & Opel), Gm is heading in the right direction with Cadillac (the brand i love the most) and Saturn leading the way followed by Chevrolet.... it could be a bright future..... Gm got all the answers in their hands its the beaurecracy thats pulling them down. Quality control anyone?

What will happen to GMC? i dont know but looking at the sales number it might go either way.....

toasteroven said:
Interesting thing I read today; GM may be considering dropping their 1/2 body-on-frame SUVs and trucks and replacing them with unibody (the article referenced the Lambdas specifically). That would be an interesting development.
maybe they just realized [/color] that 80% SUVs owners never use their SUVs off road anyway......

·
Registered
812 Posts
Ford has already ceased all SUV and Pick up production for the rest of the year due to slumping sales and is considering to cut the Mercury brand. They already sold Land Rover and Jaguar to Tata Motors of India.

Its ironic they are doing pretty good outside of the US and is still reconsidering if they will allow their european design brand to be sold here or even made here.... a move they should have done a long long long time ago.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Confirmed from Ford today; European Focus and Fiesta coming stateside 2010.

Downsizing production of body-on-frame trucks / SUVs @ Ford a permanent thing.

About bloody time.

·
Registered
812 Posts
toasteroven said:
About bloody time.
i just love the british accent..... ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
khansen30 said:
Intersting points but I take exception to your comment about Saturn. I have never seen it as a "Japanese wannabe". I own 2 and owned another till I traded it in on a new one. Nothing about these screem Japanese:

Outlook = Acadia, Enclave, Traverse
Aura, became a Chevy Malibu and same body on a Cadillac and Pontiac
Ion, became the new Chevy Cobalt.

GM has used Saturn to market or test new styles for the other GM lines. If your comment holds any water you are calling several of the lines Japanese wannabes, which would make your Acadia one along with your other cars.
My reference to Saturn as a Japanese wannabe is more a historical reference than what the brand is today. Although I do think the styling of the Outlook, Aura, etc. are much more Asian looking than their other GM cousins (don't get me wrong - I think they look very good). Saturn was started as an inexpensive small car company meant to compete with the Japanese offerings. It was also supposed to be "separate" from the GM mother ship - with it's own management, plants, etc. and no rebadges. It has drifted far from those original visions and now is just another distribution channel for GM's multi-badged vehicles. I don't know whether Saturn should be one of the survivors, but unless GM does a better job of articulating a vision for the brand, it could be a casualty as well. I just think GM has too many brands with fuzzy visions of what they're supposed to be. Some of them will go the way of Olds, Plymouth, and AMC.

·
Registered
347 Posts
"About bloody time." [/color] Quote Toasteroven

SioXie,
Actually, I think our friend Toasteroven is a citizen of our neighbor to the north, Canada. [Eh . . .] I think their British accent may be just a little different than their cousins across the Atlantic. ;D ;D ;D :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts