GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if we can upgrade to the new bluetooth setup for 09? I would prefer that over renewing onstar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently bought a Motorola Motorokr T505 Bluetooth car speakerphone and installed it. (Not much installation, just clip it to the visor)
This device has a built in FM transmitter that sends the bluetooth speaker output to your FM radio. The microphone is also very good and callers can hear you even if your in the 3rd row. Output from the device can be routed to the radio or through the built in speaker which sounds great. If your using the radio transmitter, you do have to remember to tune to the radio station when a call comes in though.

As a plus, this device can also stream A2DP stereo output from your phone to your car stereo also.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Jake_99 said:
We are all waiting to find out...

More than likely, it's a new OnStar box.
Any idea where the Onstar box is located in the Acadia?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Jake_99 said:

Now that people appear to be ordering '09s, has anyone spoken to their dealers about this?

·
Registered
487 Posts
satyric said:
Jake_99 said:

Now that people appear to be ordering '09s, has anyone spoken to their dealers about this?
From what I know dealers don't even know pricing, some didn't even know it came with bluetooth, so I doubt that they would know if we can convert.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully we can find this out with in the next six months. I would like to keep cingular as my celluar provider and have hands free in the truck without buying some aftermarket device.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Long time lurker here.

For what it's worth, I emailed OnStar on Sunday inquiring about the possiblity of a Generation 8 upgrade for our '08. I received an email back saying that answering my question was something that couldn't be done via email, and to either talk to my dealer's service department or call OnStar. I called OnStar and was told that "what was in the vehicle had to stay in the vehicle" so there was no upgrade available. Seems strange to me given that there was an upgrade available to take the analog units up to digital. It seemed like I wasn't going to get anywhere with this so I told them "thank you" and hung up.

Like others, if there was an upgrade that was reasonably priced, I would do it. We have AT&T with a corporate discount for 2 phones and switching to Verizon would add an additional $30.00 month cost. That's no including the monthly OnStar cost. Also like others, I don't want to have to push all kinds of weird combination of switches like the old Nintendo game secret codes, just to get the Bluetooth to work with OnStar system.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sounds like OnStar is trying to keep the old units as long as possible in order to maintain current profit margin. They probably consider the bluetooth capability a hit to their bottom line. They have no financial incentive to push the newer units and probably have made a corporate decision (near term) to stonewall the transition in older vehicles.

OnStar's only incentive for offering upgrades to digital (from analog) was due the FCC decision to cut off analog service. Onstar then had a financial incentive to offer a digital option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Based on my information about the OnStar system the chances of GM offering any sort of upgrade to the new OnStar modules with Bluetooth is extremely remote. The Bluetooth function requires not only the new OnStar Gen 8 module but also an antenna which is integrated into the wiring harness. Programming of the module for usage is also required (phone number, VIN, etc.) which most dealers do not have the ability to do with the existing Tech2 equipment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jake - You bring up some good points there. OnStar did stand to lose many customer due to the digital transition. If they tied the Bluetooth upgrade with a commitment to renew OnStar for another year, we'd do it. So would my dad for his '08 Enclave. Otherwise it looks like we'll purchase a Motorola bluetooth speaker and find a nice location (not the visor) to mount it. I think for now, if the phone rings, I'll look for the highway patrol and carefully hand the phone to my wife. She likes riding shotgun.

Jake_99 said:
Sounds like OnStar is trying to keep the old units as long as possible in order to maintain current profit margin. They probably consider the bluetooth capability a hit to their bottom line. They have no financial incentive to push the newer units and probably have made a corporate decision (near term) to stonewall the transition in older vehicles.

OnStar's only incentive for offering upgrades to digital (from analog) was due the FCC decision to cut off analog service. Onstar then had a financial incentive to offer a digital option.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ednunez - Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that the gen 8 had the antenna in with the wiring harness. Is that a security feature to keep a thief from removing the OnStar antenna to bypass vehicle tracking and the new slow down feature?

ednunez said:
Based on my information about the OnStar system the chances of GM offering any sort of upgrade to the new OnStar modules with Bluetooth is extremely remote. The Bluetooth function requires not only the new OnStar Gen 8 module but also an antenna which is integrated into the wiring harness. Programming of the module for usage is also required (phone number, VIN, etc.) which most dealers do not have the ability to do with the existing Tech2 equipment.

·
Registered
158 Posts
ednunez said:
Programming of the module for usage is also required (phone number, VIN, etc.) which most dealers do not have the ability to do with the existing Tech2 equipment.
I'm wondering if the programming wouldn't be required with a Bluetooth module, since the phone feature wouldn't necessarily be required. Of course, it's always possible that GM wants us to go out and buy an aftermarket solution instead of selling us a feature that we want and earning the money for themselves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Bluetooth antenna is for a better connection to the BT devices. Since the OnStar module is in the driver's side rear in the vehicle an antenna up in the forward passenger are help with the BT interface.

There will always be some programming required with those types of modules to integrate into vehicles. Even if it just to tell the BCM that a new module has been installed. It is yet to be determined if that is something the dsealers will be able to do, or if they will for a reasonable cost for people wanting to update their systems to BT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ed N. - ah, that makes perfect sense. Well I hope GM gives some consideration for an upgrade path for those who wish to pay. In the meantime, we chose to not purchase an external BT speaker. We're just going to use the OnStar personal calling minutes. I'm one who doesn't like a cluttered interior.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts