GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 Acadia was back to the dealership for repair a total of 20 days in the first year for nine issues.
My car clearly falls into the Lemon Law guidelines for my state so I started the process to get a repurchase. GM offered 24 months free oil changes for my trouble, so I started looking for an attorney. My mistake was going with one of those online lemon law sites. Alex Simanovsky filed a claim which GM denied and he sat on it for three months before I had enough and found another attorney. GM has denied his claim also and now he is filing a suit against GM. If GM files bankruptcy June 1st, what does that mean for me? I've got a bad feeling I'm going to be stuck with a $45,000 lemon, and over $3000 in legal fees.
As of today the sunroof is leaking for the 5th time , the dashboard is apart for the third time after being replaced twice, the drivers seat has come apart from the seat base, the ambient temp sensor reads wrong affecting the auto climate control, and I'm barely getting 10mpg. The dealership has done no repairs since Dec 08 when I started this claim. I guess GM told them to hold off and see what happens. Does anybody have any advice for me? :banghead:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
It's hard to come to grips with biting the bullet or cutting your losses. The best advice I'd have is to find something else you like and trade in the Acadia while it still has some value.

I say this based on:
1) Your legal claim is not going anywhere, and even if resolved in your favor, you may have a difficult time collecting any judgment or claim on a Chapter 11 company (financial experts can jump in on this one). The more hours the lawyer racks up, the worse off you will be.
2) The issues you have had and are having do not make it worthwhile to retain the vehicle as one that must be daily driven.

It's better to get 50% of something and move on than be stuck with 100% of problems in my opinion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would try a different dealer if possible and see if they can't fix the issues. All dealers are not created equal and what may have not been fixed or fixed correctly may get done right with a more competent shop.

·
Super Moderator
22,026 Posts
Where's the area factory rep been through all of this? Did you, or the dealer, ever try to contact him? ???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After six months of ownership I realized I had a problem vehicle , so I started with my sales person then went to the sales manager then to the general manager just hoping to trade out, with no luck. They acted like I was just complaining and making a big deal out of nothing. They finally stopped returning my calls and thats when I contacted GM customer service and they offered me the oil changes. I've never heard of an area factory rep but I doubt that he or she would have done anything different now that I see how GM handles their customer service issues. Repeat customers are not a concern to them and its no wonder they are in such trouble. Whats ironic is that I traded in my third Toyota to "do the right thing" and buy American.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In all honesty, I'd park the car right in front of the dealership on a saturday, slap some signs on it that said, "LEMON SOLD BY XXXX DEALERSHIP" or "ASK ME HOW TO BUY A LEMON HERE" and sit right next to the car in a lawn chair. As much of a pain, and time-suck, as it may be, having an eyesore right in front of the dealership on a weekend, would be *extremely* unnerving to them.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
mtnbound said:
In all honesty, I'd park the car right in front of the dealership on a saturday, slap some signs on it that said, "LEMON SOLD BY XXXX DEALERSHIP" or "ASK ME HOW TO BUY A LEMON HERE" and sit right next to the car in a lawn chair. As much of a pain, and time-suck, as it may be, having an eyesore right in front of the dealership on a weekend, would be *extremely* unnerving to them.
Might also land you a night in jail, but hey at least you will get your point across

·
Super Moderator
22,026 Posts
regret-it said:
... so I started with my sales person then went to the sales manager then to the general manager ....I contacted GM customer service .... never heard of an area factory rep......
First of all, the dealer has your money and they have a lot to lose if they simply handle your 'lemon' complaint on their own. You're basically shooting the messenger.

Customer service is useless on most issues. Most of the time you're talking to someone overseas who is given a script of answers to common complaints and doesn't understand the 'lemon law' concept at all.

Auto manufacturers usually have regional offices with representatives who can make decisions far beyond those in control of the dealership. They help with 'problem car' issues and work directly with the customer and dealer to resolve major individual problems with their product.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Speleos is right. There have been several buy backs from people here and they seemed to go smoothly. Where are you located? Maybe some one can point you to the person in your area.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The unfortunate part is that, based on what has been written, regret-it was not referred to the factory rep/regional office by the dealer, but rather left to chase down whatever "customer service" contact could be found.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I will say that initially GM has been very easy to deal with, a little slow, but easy to deal with.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would suggest you hire a good attorney... seems that nothing short of legal action is going to move them off center. I don't know what state you live in but the Lemon Law in Ohio allows for the plaintiff to recover the legal costs incurred while seeking relief. You should come out pretty much whole if they find in your favor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts