GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Courtesy of Yahoo! - http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080829/bs_nm/gm_recall_dc

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp (GM.N) is recalling 857,735 vehicles equipped with a heated windshield wiper fluid system for a potential short-circuit problem, according to federal safety regulators.

ADVERTISEMENT

A short-circuit in the system may cause other electrical features to malfunction, create an odor or cause smoke, increasing the risk of a fire, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on its website.

The recall involves the 2007-2008 model year Chevrolet Silverado, Tahoe, Avalanche and Suburban, Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV and Escalade EXT, GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL and Saturn Outlook; 2006-2008 Hummer H2, Cadillac DTS and Buick Lucerne; and the 2008 Buick Enclave.

GM plans to install a wire harness with an in-line fuse free of charge to fix the problem, NHTSA said.

Separately, GM is also recalling 88,809 2008-model year Buick Enclave, and 2007-2008 model year GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook SUVs in 28 states and Washington, D.C..

A build-up of snow or ice on the windshield or the wipers may restrict the movement of the wiper arm in the SUVs and could cause the wiper to detach from its motor, according to the NHTSA website.

(Reporting by Poornima Gupta; editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: GM Announces two recalls for Acadia today - heated washer fluid & wiper prob

Talk amongst yourselves ...

Looks like my baby's due for her first trip to the dealer .... *sigh*

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re: GM Announces two recalls for Acadia today - heated washer fluid & wiper problem!

Now I have evidence that I am smelling burning plastic in my Acadia from time to time during my morning commute!

I never really thought much about it being I've had the vehicle since April 30th with no issues (except the tranny but that's subjective).

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Re: GM Announces two recalls for Acadia today - heated washer fluid & wiper problem!

Interesting......I haven't seen any threads or posts about either of these issues.. Suprising considering most people find this forum when they seem to have a problem with thier vehicle.

Where can we find out the specific vin#'s affected?

UPDATE: I just tried to call GMC customer service (866) 996-9436 to see what VIN #'s are affected..... BUSY signal...  A bad day to be at customer service![/color]

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

Found this on detnews.com

GM spokeswoman Carolyn Markey said there have been nine reports of fires and three of them have been linked to the system. There have been no accidents or injuries connected to the defect, she said.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an investigation last February into 2007 Yukon and Tahoe vehicles over potential engine compartment fires. In June, the highway safety agency upgraded its investigation into about 2.7 million 2007-2008 GM trucks and SUVs and reported allegations of 41 engine fires.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

bonk1313 said:
Interesting......I haven't seen any threads or posts about either of these issues.. Suprising considering most people find this forum when they seem to have a problem with thier vehicle.

Where can we find out the specific vin#'s affected?

UPDATE: I just tried to call GMC customer service (866) 996-9436 to see what VIN #'s are affected..... BUSY signal... A bad day to be at customer service![/color]
It's not even listed in the service database yet. I'll post it when it shows up. My Silverado is involved in this too.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

I just did some more searching for this and came across a document. This document refers to the wiper arm recall, but it only lists certain states affected. How does a recall get limited to registered state of the vehicle?

GM IS RECALLING 88,809 MY 2008 BUICK ENCLAVE, AND MY 2007-2008 GMC ACADIA AND SATURN OUTLOOK VEHICLES CURRENTLY OR PREVIOUSLY REGISTERED IN THE FOLLOWING STATES: ALASKA, COLORADO, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, IDAHO, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MONTANA, NEBRASKA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, NORTH DAKOTA, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, SOUTH DAKOTA, UTAH, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, WYOMING, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA. IF A BUILDUP OF SNOW OR ICE ON THE WINDSHIELD OR ON THE WIPERS RESTRICTS THE MOVEMENT OF THE WIPER ARM, THE WINDSHIELD WIPER LINKAGE MAY BECOME DETACHED FROM THE MOTOR SHAFT AND THE WIPERS MAY BECOME INOPERATIVE.[/color]

click here for the letter from NHTSA to GM

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

I guess it never snows in Kansas. ::) Never mind those gates along I-70 in central and western Kansas for closing down the highway during blizzards.

·
Registered
195 Posts

No mention of 2009 models. I will assume they made the fix prior to production start up on the '09s.

Worse case, I get a letter in the mail (at least that is how Honda operated when I had recall issues with my Civic and Accord).

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

Here is another letter

This one lists specific dates of production  that are affected.
It also speaks more about the affected states, because it only applies to areas that are subject to moderate or heavy snow falls.......ON that note, how is Washington DC affected, but no northern virgina which is right next to it....UFB

"Pursuant to 577.11(e), GM does not plan to provide notice about reimbursement to owners because all
involved vehicles are covered under the new vehicle warranty.
573.6(c)(9): GM will provide copies of the de~ler bulletin and owner letter when available. It is anticipated,
due to parts availability, that GM will notify dealers and owners in October 2008."

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: GM Announces two recalls for Acadia today - heated washer fluid & wiper prob

bonk1313 said:
Another thing in the letter...... NO NOTICES WILL BE SENT OUT....WTF
"Pursuant to 577.11(e), GM does not plan to provide notice about reimbursement to owners because all
573.6(c)(9): GM will provide copies of the de~ler bulletin and owner letter when available. It is anticipated,
due to parts availability, that GM will notify dealers and owners in October 2008."
No, no, that's not the case at all.

What they are stating is that they will not provide notice about reimbursement for previous repairs because any previous repairs would have been performed under warranty.

Notice that it says GM will notify dealers and owners in October 2008.

Yes, there will be a notification, but it will not include a message about reimbursement for previous repairs, because there shouldn't be any reimbursements needed.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

That would explain why the wiper arm issue is not in the SI database yet. Still nothing on the heated washer fluid thing though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

GeoHawk said:
That would explain why the wiper arm issue is not in the SI database yet. Still nothing on the heated washer fluid thing though.
I'm not nearly concerned with the wiper arm issue as I am the heated fluid one. Short circuits worry me a bit.

The good news about all of this is it's an excuse for me to ask the dealer about doing the transmission flash ... I didn't want to bring it in "just" for the tranny flash, but if they can do it in conjunction with either/both of these recalls, all the better!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

dmurphy said:
The good news about all of this is it's an excuse for me to ask the dealer about doing the transmission flash ... I didn't want to bring it in "just" for the tranny flash, but if they can do it in conjunction with either/both of these recalls, all the better!
:ditto:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

dmurphy said:
bonk1313 said:
Another thing in the letter...... NO NOTICES WILL BE SENT OUT....WTF
No, no, that's not the case at all.

What they are stating is that they will not provide notice about reimbursement for previous repairs because any previous repairs would have been performed under warranty.

Notice that it says GM will notify dealers and owners in October 2008.

Yes, there will be a notification, but it will not include a message about reimbursement for previous repairs, because there shouldn't be any reimbursements needed.

Well that makes me a fell a little bit better. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

Here are 2 more letters between NHTSA and GM in regards to the Heated windshield washer fluid recall.

GM to NHTSA

NHTSA to GM

·
Registered
200 Posts

It's a minor inconvenience for me since I already had the tranny flash. But I'd rather be safe than sorry......better to have the washer fluid heated than my entire body.

·
Registered
497 Posts

Sounds like no big deal to me. Just get it done when the car is in for any other service work.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Well, from reading those attachments, it *APPEARS* that my '08 Acadia won't be affected by the Heated Washer Fluid recall. It was built 3/27/08, which appears to be after the cutoff for the issue.

Time will tell I guess - we'll see if I get a notice ...

·
Registered
275 Posts

It's good to see everybody is keeping their heads firmly attached; more often than not an announcement like this with a fairly new vehicle results in comments like "I should have bought a Honda!" or "OMG We're all going to die!".

Recalls and TSBs are a face of life in the modern vehicle world. I, for one, am glad that recalls and such are offered for free and we are informed. Ask anyone with a Windstar about Ford's "secret warranty program" and you're sure to get their blood pressure going.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.