GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info/experience on the GM 5-star (or 4-star or 3 star) extended warranty programs?

I got a call from my dealer about it - I'm picking up my Acadia tonight (yay!), and he asked me about my interest in this program. He claimed list price is about $2400 :eek: but offered to sell it to me for more "their cost", of $1790 or so (again - :eek: )

Since it's a new model, I'm tempted since the 5-star would cover almost everything for the full 5-year 100K miles. but I'd like to hear any thoughts opinions or experiences with it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
John,

Nothing says you have to buy right now...

I would wait till the end of the 100K mile warrenty then conside something...It may cost a bit more, but you will be able to get MORE coverage. If you buy the extended warrenty now, it starts now...No point in having 2 warrenties...This is just another way the dealer gets more money from you...

Adam

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, although I'm not sure about the 'starting now' part. Iif it's a 3 yr/36K mile warranty from the factory (100K for the drivetrain), and I but it it'll cover me to 5 yr100K. If I buy it later, wouldn't it be the same - covering me until I had 5 yr / 100K mi?

I'm tryring to find info online, and there's not much.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer faxed me some of the brochure, and it looks like it's actually an extended warrantee from GE (Not GM)?

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Check with your insurance carrier.

I know Geico sells an extended warranty on vehicles cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, I'll check. I would liek to stay away from non-GM authorized plans, because of the 'stories' (urban legends?) of having to pay for a repair and then chase down payment.

On investigation, it looks like this is a GE plan, and NOT the GM Protection Plan. I'm going to put a call in to my local dealer and see what the GMPP goes for.

·
Registered
310 Posts
John- what are your driving habits for this car? How many miles do you expect in a year? Our Acadia will be for my wife, and I would expect, incluiding trips, that it will be under 10k miles per year. You have to really be driving it a lot to see 100k miles in 5 years (20k per year). If so, any 5yr 100k warranty would be a bad deal, plus 1700 for a warranty that essentially only covers the bumper to bumper another 2 years is a whole lot of money.

If you are going to keep the car, I would suspect that if driving the car the normal 12k or less per year, that getting a 7/84 warranty with a reasonable $100 or $200 deductable would be less than $1700 if you negotiate it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
The GEICO plan is very good, and over the life of a vehicle, much less than other extended warranties. However, if you're on a shorter lease or not planning to keep the vehicle beyond the warranty period, don't get it. You'll never use it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mitchl, Readyforacadia - thanks for the info. my back-of-the-napkin notes indicates that even at 1700 (2400 "list"), this is probable not a good deal. I'll do in the range of 15K miles a year on this - so I think I'll wait to see if I can work something after I get a year or so under my belt and see how the vehicle is.

Thanks for the input everyone!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went with the GM 72/100. Got it for $1500. Figured with all the electronics and gizmos with the SLT-2 that I have, I'm bound to have some sort of electrical issues as time goes on. And I fear the electronic issues the most. I do about 17-18K miles per year.
Even if I decide to sell after 4 years, the warranty would be a big plus for any buyer of the vehicle.
I have a feeling I will want a new Acadia sooner rather than later...it's been a wonderful 2500 miles thus far with it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, that's a great deal. the 'deal' offered to me was for 60/100 for $1798 ($2400 list price). Good savings, but from what I've seen online I should be able to do better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
John, that doesn't sound right. I saw in the dealers book the "list price" of my 72/100 and it was $2100. The cost was $1485 (salesman first showed me their cost book!). Actually, I paid $1585 and not $1500.
And I confirm that this was for the GM Protection Plan Major Guard coverage.
Maybe you're looking at a different offering from a different company? After market?
I just wanted to make sure I signed up with authentic coverage and not after market.

Just please do your due diligence (and I'm sure you are) so you don't sign up for something that is inflated in price.
Yours,
Pipes

·
Registered
310 Posts
Keep in mind, you have lots of time to buy that warranty, it isn't going anywhere. You might be able to make a deal at purchase, but I bet that if you go into a dealer 2 years from now with a credit card in hand, on a rainy, cold day with no customers near the end of a month, they will sell you one near cost.

Even if you buy it now, you will still get about 10 pounds of mail trying to sell you a warranty over the next 3-5 years.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking of all the mail we've gotten in the past when our vehicles are about to go out of warranty - I know I can get them at any time.

Turns out the deal was for a plan from GE - coverage was equivalent to Major Guard, and for all the questions I asked I couldn't find any pitfall in this plan versus GMPP other than it did not have the GM name. OK, so it had one pitfall, and that was if somehow I ran into an ASE certified mechanic that would not accept it, I'd have to pay it and then chase down GE. Now that I just read what I wrote....I am going to call some of the local mechanics and see if they accept the GE plan...

·
Registered
1 Posts
how is everyone doing. im in the process of buying an acadia and was offered the extended warranty and was wodering what your thougths were.

1700 for the extended b2b, plus the paint and trim coverage and the wheel and tire coverage. does this sound good.

thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts