Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was on a trip on Washington DC yesterday. I had a never ending search for parking. After several circling around blocks, I found a spot but was not sure if I'm okay to park. Left the car running, went down to check the posted parking info. It started to rain, several thunder claps and lightning on the horizon..decided to get back only to find the door was lock :eek:hno: Of course, Onstar came to my rescue without me getting so wet.
The question is: what happened? ???
As soon as the gear is set to P, all doors will unlock...we know, that is normal. I was very sure all doors were unlock before I got down.
Was it a glitch caused by the thunder, lightning ?????
I have been using the Onstar features fairly often lately and I have not yet used the remote door feature. Was it a way to tell me that it can really be very helpful? ::)
Did not call Onstar back to diagnose what happened coz' I was just so happy to get in and not soaked in the rain.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
681 Posts
kram said:
Was on a trip on Washington DC yesterday. I had a never ending search for parking. After several circling around blocks, I found a spot but was not sure if I'm okay to park. Left the car running, went down to check the posted parking info. It started to rain, several thunder claps and lightning on the horizon..decided to get back only to find the door was lock :eek:hno: Of course, Onstar came to my rescue without me getting so wet.
The question is: what happened? ???
As soon as the gear is set to P, all doors will unlock...we know, that is normal. I was very sure all doors were unlock before I got down.
Was it a glitch caused by the thunder, lightning ?????
I have been using the Onstar features fairly often lately and I have not yet used the remote door feature. Was it a way to tell me that it can really be very helpful? ::)
Did not call Onstar back to diagnose what happened coz' I was just so happy to get in and not soaked in the rain.

Any thoughts?
The automatic door locks should not work if the key is in the ignition, it is a safety lockout security the vehicle has:

page 107 from the manual;
Lockout Protection
This feature protects you from locking the key in the
vehicle when the key is in the ignition and a front
door is open.
If the driver’s side power door lock switch is
pressed when the driver’s door is open and the key
is in the ignition, all of the doors will lock and then
the driver’s door will unlock.
If the passenger’s side power door lock switch is
pressed when the front passenger’s door is open
and the key is in the ignition, all of the doors will
lock and then the front passenger’s door will unlock.

But there could be a few situation that would over ride this - if you have the Automatic Door lock set in the DIC to Lock when Put in Gear and you happened to apply the parking brake and forgot to put the vehcile in park (I have done this in my driveway once - the parking brake held the car in place, luckily). I also read the following on page 259 on the Delay Door Lock:

DELAY DOOR LOCK
This feature allows you to select whether or not
the locking of the vehicle’s doors and liftgate
will be delayed. When locking the doors and
liftgate with the power door lock switch and a
door or the liftgate is open, this feature will delay
locking the doors and liftgate until five seconds
after the last door is closed. You will hear
three chimes to signal that the delayed locking
feature is in use. The key must be out of the
ignition for this feature to work. You can
temporarily override delayed locking by pressing
the power door lock switch twice or the lock
button on the RKE transmitter twice[/color]. See Delayed
Locking on page 107 for more information.

Is it possible you could have hit the power door lock switch twice as you were getting out of the car?

I have no other explaination, I cannot imagine Onstar intentionally locking the doors to promote their services. I do remember reading on a thread about some Acadias, the speedo would jump up to 20 mph while in park, if you have the Auto Door Lock set to lock when you reach speed then maybe this type of anomoly caused your doors to lock - other than that - spooky, your car is possessed >:D

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnway said:
Is it possible you could have hit the power door lock switch twice as you were getting out of the car?

I have no other explaination, I cannot imagine Onstar intentionally locking the doors to promote their services. I do remember reading on a thread about some Acadias, the speedo would jump up to 20 mph while in park, if you have the Auto Door Lock set to lock when you reach speed then maybe this type of anomoly caused your doors to lock - other than that - spooky, your car is possessed >:D
I do not think so. It was a simple stop, shifter to PARK (all doors unlock), open the car door, close it while the engine was till running. Came back approximately 2minutes ....found out door was lock.
I would try it until I get back home..I do not have my spare key with me on this trip.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If your key is in the ignition it won't activate the locks when you press the switch on the door, so it couldn't have been you accidentally pressing it when you got out, since you said the car was still running.

Who knows. It could have been some kid who thought it might be nice to lock someone out of their car. Of course, I would never do that though! >:D

·
Registered
468 Posts
jonv112 said:
If your key is in the ignition it won't activate the locks when you press the switch on the door, so it couldn't have been you accidentally pressing it when you got out, since you said the car was still running.

Who knows. It could have been some kid who thought it might be nice to lock someone out of their car. Of course, I would never do that though! >:D
If he couldn't do that how could a kid? Magical powers? :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
zman said:
jonv112 said:

If he couldn't do that how could a kid? Magical powers? :p
I'm a kid, and I have a couple of ideas...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
There's another thread about this I'm not sure where, but that has happened to me. I, thank goodness, was inside the car. I would be interested to know what the deal is.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I'm not crazy.
Called Onstar and my dealership minutes ago..both had a big ??? on their faces.

Dealership: I should not happen if a key is in the ignition. Bring it in if it happens again.
Onstar: We are not the right person..blah blah blah. (I was only asking if they have information of the similiar phenomenon)First time I heard about this. It might have been caused by someone near trying to open/lock the door with the same frequency. I countered: key fob and car should have a freq match. Onstar: there could only be so much freq match. ::)
I said goodbye..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.