GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing the drivers window being scratched, (while going down), I scrubbed clean any debris that may have been in/around the channel.
That was three weeks ago.
Today I notice that all four, especially the drivers window, have many vertical scratches on them.

Is this covered under warranty ?
The windshield also has many pit marks. In over a dozen vehicles that I have owned, this ranks as the worst (glass).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey Bricklover,

Sorry to hear about your glass. I haven't noticed anything unusual (yet) about my glass. But, I rarely have the windows down. I enjoy the quiet ride - but at some point will possibly use them more. Are the markings you're seeing all fairly similar to each other? Is there a recognizable pattern - perhaps being made by the roller assembly that guides your windows? Can you post a small pic of a couple examples?

Speaking of pics, I was playing w/ some photo s/w tonight & created a penciled dwg of my actual Acadia - had to share it 'cuase it's so artistic ;D

Smooth[/color] <><

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
BrickLover said:
After hearing the drivers window being scratched, (while going down), I scrubbed clean any debris that may have been in/around the channel.
Today I notice that all four, especially the drivers window, have many vertical scratches on them.

The windshield also has many pit marks. In over a dozen vehicles that I have owned, this ranks as the worst (glass).
The dealer covered a scratched outer drivers side window in my Silverado due to the staple that hold the felt weatherstrip caught the window twice making a very nice line. My was out of warranty by two months but they covered it. It all depend on what they feel made the scratches. Mine problem was clear. The windshield they will probably say road debris was the cause and will not cover it. It pays to ask them.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
DeForger said:
BrickLover said:

The dealer covered a scratched outer drivers side window in my Silverado due to the staple that hold the felt weatherstrip caught the window twice making a very nice line. My was out of warranty by two months but they covered it. It all depend on what they feel made the scratches. Mine problem was clear. The windshield they will probably say road debris was the cause and will not cover it. It pays to ask them.

Bobby
I know all of our vehicle glass is covered by our insurance; I was making a "Cannonball Run" back from San Antonio, TX and was within 150 miles when I took a "boulder" to the windshield and cracked it. Glass repair guy came to the house; R2'd the windshield and that was that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have also noticed scratches on the front windshield, some spots are pretty bad, where bugs might have been? not sure, was going to try and buff them out when the weather is nicer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also have scratches on my drivers side windows front and back doors. I bought mine used, so no telling what the prior owners did. My dealer will not touch it unless I pay $$$.

·
Registered
540 Posts
jsimms said:
DeForger said:
BrickLover said:

Bobby
I know all of our vehicle glass is covered by our insurance; I was making a "Cannonball Run" back from San Antonio, TX and was within 150 miles when I took a "boulder" to the windshield and cracked it. Glass repair guy came to the house; R2'd the windshield and that was that.
I don't know if insurance will cover scratches on the side windows? They probably would have to be shattered for replacement. You would have to check with your insurance company. Even if you had them replaced you would have to find the cause or the new glass would end up with the same scratches.

Bobby

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your insurance company would pay to fix or replace the windows but, you would have to pay your deductible. It's your comprehensice deductible. They will only waive the deductible for chips in the windshield that can be fixed. If they replace the glass than the deductible would apply. You should not see a rate increse if the claim is fixed under comprehensive.

·
Registered
540 Posts
shellet said:
Your insurance company would pay to fix or replace the windows but, you would have to pay your deductible. It's your comprehensice deductible. They will only waive the deductible for chips in the windshield that can be fixed. If they replace the glass than the deductible would apply. You should not see a rate increse if the claim is fixed under comprehensive.
All insurance companies are different. I know they will try to fix a windshields with a chip before replacing it. I have glass coverage with a 0 deductable. The reason I even added glass coverage is because of all the factory tinted glass. They are big money. I have to give my agent a call to check what is covered .

Bobby

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Smooth said:
Are the markings you're seeing all fairly similar to each other? Is there a recognizable pattern - perhaps being made by the roller assembly that guides your windows? Can you post a small pic of a couple examples?
I could not get the lines to show up. I'll try under different lighting conditions.
the pattern appears consistent all around , leading me to believe an internal defect.
I'll try posting soon

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
BrickLover said:
Smooth said:
Are the markings you're seeing all fairly similar to each other? Is there a recognizable pattern - perhaps being made by the roller assembly that guides your windows? Can you post a small pic of a couple examples?
I could not get the lines to show up. I'll try under different lighting conditions.
the pattern appears consistent all around , leading me to believe an internal defect.
I'll try posting soon
You might try positioning the vehicle so that the sun shines on the window; this should help show the scratches and then you can take a pick from inside the vehicle

·
Registered
350 Posts
The front windows on my 99 grand am had vertical score marks top to bottom, it was determined a defect and a TSB was issued, turns out the glass was a bit to thick and scratched on a piece of the regulator mechanism.  Dealer replaced both windows under warranty. (car was a few months old).

I would def contact the dealer...may be a similar problem.  I haven't noticed any scratches on my Acadia (08 SLT1).

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
If there is an actual defect it would be the first I've heard of it; although I am still technically new here

·
Registered
540 Posts
BrickLover said:

Bricklover,
Did you ever get the dealer to fix your scratched windows? My 2009 is just 5 months old with 1800 miles just turned up with the scratches on three of the four door windows. I'm sure the the last window will show a scratch soon. It has to be with the outer felt strips or maybe a guide . I have to get by the dealer and let them look at it.The driver glass has two vertical lines about 3 inches apart. I am not happy about this. :angryfire:

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
DeForger said:
Bricklover,
Did you ever get the dealer to fix your scratched windows? My 2009 is just 5 months old with 1800 miles just turned up with the scratches on three of the four door windows. I'm sure the the last window will show a scratch soon. It has to be with the outer felt strips or maybe a guide . I have to get by the dealer and let them look at it.The driver glass has two vertical lines about 3 inches apart. I am not happy about this. :angryfire:

Bobby
I try and run some compressor air over the outer strips just in case there is something there; I haven't seen anything that would scratch a window yet

·
Registered
540 Posts
jsimms said:
I try and run some compressor air over the outer strips just in case there is something there; I haven't seen anything that would scratch a window yet
I didn't see anything in the weather strips. I could see if something was stuck in one window causing a scratch but in three of them there has to be a design problem.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
DeForger said:
I didn't see anything in the weather strips. I could see if something was stuck in one window causing a scratch but in three of them there has to be a design problem.

Bobby
I agree

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jsimms said:
The service writer had his manager take a look, and he stated that there was dirt/sand on the felt that cause the scratches.
I asked how could this be? In over 20 years I've had this happen to only one vehicle. It was 10 yrs old at the time, and it was a result of mechanical failure. I don't live or work near the beach or a manufacturing plant. I've never heard of this before.
And besides, it has been a cold winter, how many times could we have opened them?
To this he replied "you just have to keep them clean!, run a wet rag"
I wash my truck 2-5x a week, even in winter, how much cleaner do you want it?.
"sometimes this sort of stuff happens" ::)
I'll be back :angryfire:

Maybe I'm an isolated incident. Perhaps we should poll?

·
Registered
540 Posts
BrickLover said:
The service writer had his manager take a look, and he stated that there was dirt/sand on the felt that cause the scratches.
I asked how could this be? In over 20 years I've had this happen to only one vehicle. It was 10 yrs old at the time, and it was a result of mechanical failure. I don't live or work near the beach or a manufacturing plant. I've never heard of this before.
And besides, it has been a cold winter, how many times could we have opened them?
To this he replied "you just have to keep them clean!, run a wet rag"
I wash my truck 2-5x a week, even in winter, how much cleaner do you want it?.
"sometimes this sort of stuff happens" ::)
I'll be back :angryfire:

Maybe I'm an isolated incident. Perhaps we should poll?
Bricklover,
I stopped by the dealer last night and spoke to the service writer. It was 5pm and I knew they wanted to go home. I asked him to take a look and he did. He also said it look like sand or a small piece of stone or rock may have become lodged in the weatherstrip. I responded by saying "but on all three windows?" . I asked him what he wanted me to do? He said bring it in next week. I asked if he was going to remove the door panels and he said no. He was going to get pictures and call the rep. I will have my wife take it in and wait with it for just pictures to be taken. I don't like the way it is heading already. Wait for the GM rep? This is a 2009 with 1800 miles.
I had a window replaced in my Silverado due to a faulty weatherstrip after 3 years which I thought I never had this happen before with any of my families cars. Now this with the Acadia with three window has me worried. So you are not alone Bricklover! Maybe it a N.Y thing.

Bobby

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I really find this "sand" thing hard to believe. I have mine at the stables at least five days a week since I bought it, plus I took it to the beach and parked it on the sand. Trust me, the stables are dirty and sandy when the wind blows. Plus the fact they use fine dirt and sand in case anyone falls off when jumping. It makes it softer. I even roll down my windows at the stables to get flies out of the car. (I hate flies) I guess what I am saying is that if anyone here would have junk in their windows, it should be me. I have not, knock on wood, had this problem. If there is sand or a rock, it had to have been there when they assembled your car. I would fight them on this. I am anal and that would drive me nuts!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts