GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my wife's "new" Acadia yesterday. It is just about like new except for a couple of smudges on the passenger door. It almost looks like bird poop, but it isn't that. You can only see it if you look at the right angle. So, the salesman said "Oh yeah, a detailer can get that out in just a few minutes, $10 max...blah blah". I guess I am wondering where to take it, or do it myself? I don't want to get too aggressive and end up damaging the clear coat, etc. But I also don't want to take it to some yahoo with a buffer and a need for some cash...

What do y'all suggest?

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
It hard to say without seeing them...do you have any pictures of the smudges?

What color is the Acadia? If it's a lighter colored car, it'll be easier to remove by hand.

Do you have any polishes that you can use?

If you want to get it done somewhere, I'd recommend posting on Autopia.org for a reputable detailer in your area...you can also go here and see if there are any in your area:

http://www.detailuniversity.com/find-a-detailer/

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
blane64 said:
I just picked up my wife's "new" [/color] Acadia yesterday. It is just about like new except for a couple of smudges on the passenger door. It almost looks like bird poop, but it isn't that. You can only see it if you look at the right angle. So, the salesman said "Oh yeah, a detailer can get that out in just a few minutes, $10 max...blah blah".[/color] I guess I am wondering where to take it, or do it myself? I don't want to get too aggressive and end up damaging the clear coat, etc. But I also don't want to take it to some yahoo with a buffer and a need for some cash...

What do y'all suggest?

Thanks
TELL THE DEALER TO TAKE CARE OF IT. A NEW CAR, AND AS YOU LEAVE THE LOT THEY TELL YOU TO TAKE IT TO A DEATAILER. I would have told em to take the car and drive it around their backside. :moon: ARGH WHAT HAPPENED TO CUSTOMER SERVICE! :rant: :rant: :soapbox:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try and get a good pic and see if they show up. It only shows if you look at it at an angle. It is Deep Blue Metallic, so I am worried about going after the marks too aggressively.

The dealer did offer to have it detailed out, and tried to get in contact with the detail guy but it was Saturday and they couldn't get him. But there were some complicating factors, like I drove 6 hours (0ne way, 12 hr round trip) to get the car, so taking it back to that dealer is not an option. Or at least not one I want to pursue! ;D

he tried to give me good service. I was just too far away from home.

Oh, and should mention it is a 2007, used vehicle, not brand new.

·
Registered
48 Posts
blane64 said:
I will try and get a good pic and see if they show up. It only shows if you look at it at an angle. It is Deep Blue Metallic, so I am worried about going after the marks too aggressively.

The dealer did offer to have it detailed out, and tried to get in contact with the detail guy but it was Saturday and they couldn't get him. But there were some complicating factors, like I drove 6 hours (0ne way, 12 hr round trip) to get the car, so taking it back to that dealer is not an option. Or at least not one I want to pursue! ;D

he tried to give me good service. I was just too far away from home.

Oh, and should mention it is a 2007, used vehicle, not brand new.

Metallic paint is fairly easy to correct...the metallic flakes actually hide most of the micromarring that would normally be seen in dark paint like black. If you plan to do it by hand I'd recommend ScratchX, if used correctly, it will yield great results. ScratchX has mild abrasives that diminish quickly so it works well by hand.

How to polish by hand:

• Use a cotton, microfiber towels or foam pads for applying and removal.
  • Work in a 2'x2' or 1'X1' section at a time.
  • If you are using a towel, fold it so it fits comfortably in your hand this will help you apply even pressure.
  • Apply a nickel size amount of polish on the towel or pad. Using a circular motion to spread the product out then use a back and forth motion, left to right, up an down, diagonal to work the product in until the polish is breaks down or turns clear.
  • Wipe off residue and check your work under proper lighting. Repeat using different pressure or speed (if necessary) to achieve the desired results.

That is more info on polishing on my website that might help:
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/polishing.html

·
Registered
156 Posts
Our vehicles have a ton of clear coat.  It is very hard to burn through the paint.  If you decide to do any detailing on your own a random orbital my be the way to go.  In your situation, I'd have the dealer make it right.  They owe you that!  Don't flinch! 

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd try what paintcareanddetailing suggested. That's who I learned how to use a Porter Cable 7424 from. I've since moved on to a Flex 3401, but a lot of the same principles apply. He knows his stuff!!!

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
paintcarendetailing said:
Metallic paint is fairly easy to correct...the metallic flakes actually hide most of the micromarring that would normally be seen in dark paint like black. If you plan to do it by hand I'd recommend ScratchX, if used correctly, it will yield great results. ScratchX has mild abrasives that diminish quickly so it works well by hand.

How to polish by hand:

• Use a cotton, microfiber towels or foam pads for applying and removal.
  • Work in a 2'x2' or 1'X1' section at a time.
  • If you are using a towel, fold it so it fits comfortably in your hand this will help you apply even pressure.
  • Apply a nickel size amount of polish on the towel or pad. Using a circular motion to spread the product out then use a back and forth motion, left to right, up an down, diagonal to work the product in until the polish is breaks down or turns clear.
  • Wipe off residue and check your work under proper lighting. Repeat using different pressure or speed (if necessary) to achieve the desired results.

That is more info on polishing on my website that might help:
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/polishing.html
I actually tried some polishing compound on our black Jetta when I noticed some contaminants. I then learned about the clay approach which worked well and will avoid compound of any sort from hereon. But the compound seems to still have left some mild "scars" on the hood. Will Scratchx take care of that or possibly make it worse?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts