GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 1st post here. I am getting ready to buy a 08 SLT Acadia tomorrow and my wife and I are torn between couple of things and thought I would ask for some opinions from people that have already bought one of these great vehicles. Here is what we would like some help with:

1. Bench or buckets on the 2nd row? We have a 11 month old baby and will be using the rear facing car seat for awhile longer and where just not sure what would work best for us. Any parents out there with some comments on either would be appreciated.'

2. Is the factory DVD and Bose surround sound system worth $20 per month in payment? How is the sound and picture quality? I know right now the baby will not use it but in 6 months I an guessing she would. Any comments on the DVD system would be appreciated.

3. What color to get? I have found a Summit White/Ebony, Crimson/Ebony and Black Carbin/Ebony. I love the looks of the 2 darker colors but this vehicle is for my wife and she is not very good at washing it as often as I would like her to so I keep thinking Summit White would be our best choice. For those that have these colors, how bad to the Black and Crimson show dirt?

Thats about it. Any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated. Happy Easter to everyone..

·
Registered
234 Posts
1. I went with the captain chairs, being I have a 2 year old and a 6 month old. I think about now as well as near future about usage, with the (2) car seats a person(s) can squeeze to the back of the 3rd row seats (think in-laws for road trips or going out to dinner).

2. I originally was going to get the $1,900 headrest DVDs but decided on the factory overhead DVD because I save $800, the kids will watch the same movie anyways, get the sound directly from the factory sound system, and I save $800.

3. Color choices are absolutely a personal thing...me, I ordered the Carbon Metallic/Ebony. Why? Black, always black for me and I will get the front side windows tinted to give it a nice uniform look. Yes, the Carbon Metallic will look less than stellar when dirty but I think if you get 2 hand coats of wax of year and the auto-wash w/ the clear coat wax, it holds up pretty well.

Good luck and welcome to the Acadia family.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have had aftermarket DVDs like the headrests, and because of the way it integrates with the rest of the car, I would pay for the DVD option.

I got the 8 pass as we really do have 8 people in the extended family and it is nice to all be able to go together when we go out to eat etc. But it is much easier for people to access the 3rd row with the 7 pass so if you don't need 8, the 7 might be better.

The carbon color is the most popular, and might have the best resale potential, but you are right that the lighter color will show less dirt.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
1. I have the captain's chairs in mine. This was totally a personal preference though. I don't have any small children (mine is 16). I just preferred the look of the two seats rather than the look of the bench. Plus there's the ease of getting people into the third row if you don't absolutely have a need for the bench.

2. I can't comment on this as I didn't get it as an option.

3. If the choice was available when I bought mine, I would have gotten the Crimson. That color is beautiful at night and in the sunlight. I personally think the white is going to show dirt just as much as any other color. And the Acadia does seem to get quite dirty for some reason.

Welcome to the board and congrats on your soon-to-be purchase! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you will find the factory DVD option the most desirable for a very young child as you can control the DVD from the radio unit (ie. play/pause/ffwd, etc). I don't believe this is possible with the headrest mounted DVD players. We have the factory unit in our Enclave and it works very well. A side benefit if you get the nav system is you can watch the movie on the nav screen when parked (useful if you are waiting/parked in a parking lot with your children with nothing to do). Only drawback is the factory DVD will encroach somewhat on your rear visibility if you also get the sunroof(s).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, we have ordered ours, but not received it yet. So I can't speak from Acadia experience, but I can share with you the reason we made our decisions...

1) We ordered the bucket seats. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and currently drive a Toyota Sienna. We love the Sienna, but we have a bench seat and people always have to climb over the bench to get to the 3rd row. The bucket seats allow much easier access for grandpa and grandma to climb in. Also, when I drive around other kiddos, it'll be much easier to load carseats into that 3rd row.
2) We currently have a DVD system in our van, and ordering it also for the Acadia was a no brainer. I agree, when they are younger, you don't use it as much. But by the time she's 1-2 yrs., it becomes an awesome tool. And even when we have taken road trips with other adult friends, we've used it and loved it.
3) I am similar to your wife - I'm not great with staying up on the car washes. :-\ I love the look of the darker colors, but I've had that in the past and they really did show dirt. So my van is white and it has been much more forgiving. For the Acadia, we ordered Tri-coat White Diamond. My husband likes the "pearly" look thinks it looks classy. I'm just glad it's light!

Good luck! We ordered ours last week and can't wait for it to get here!
Good times... :thumb:

·
Registered
164 Posts
1. We have the Captain's chairs because of the easy access to the third row. We also use the space between the seats to put a soft-sided cooler and a little storage bin for our daughter's "stuff". And while loading her into her seat, I can sit perpendicular to her. We've had our Outlook looaded with 7 passengers and not having to remove a car seat or two makes life easier.
2. We ordered the overhead DVD system because of the integration into the radio and the ability to control things up front. Plus, it can be folded up out of the way and little fingers will not be tempted to poke at the screen. We have the sunroof as well and over time I've gotten use to "losing" 1/6 of the rear view. Sometimes after dropping my daughter off at her pre-K, I have driven with the DVD screen down. Oops.
3. After owning two grey interiors I wanted to go back to black. As far as the exterior, black will require more cleaning. The rear seems to collect dirt much faster than the rest of the car. I take care of both cars and so I adjust the cleaning schedule. as needed. With a spouse who does not clean her car as often, silver or even white will show less dust/dirt. The colors seems to blend the dust/dirt in and not be noticed as much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
1. I ordered mine(should be here this week, yeaaa!!!) with the buckets because of the child seats. I have a 14 month old and if we have another child, we would have to take one child seat out to get at the 3rd row, so even though we will lose one seating position, we are gaining access to the 3rd row.

2. I didn't order the dvd, with the SLT2, with towing and HIDs I was trying to keep the price a little lower, I figured my son would be watching dvd for atleast another two years and I could get something a lot cheaper and better quality at the point, plus I used to put big fancy audio video systems in my previous cars so putting one in on my own later isn't a big deal.

3. My wife wanted the carbon black(she already has a black 3-series and doesn't clean it enough) so I wanted to get a color that was easier to clean. I ended up with the blue-gold crystal. After seeing it in person it looks like a dark gray until you get up close, then you can see the gold and the blue. In my mind it was the easiest color to take care of, with the execption of the brown.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Here are some things to think about with 7 pass vs 8 pass.

Good things about 7 pass.
Easier access to 3rd row. Especially if 2nd row has 2 car seats mounted.
Bucket seats in 2nd row can be more comfortable.

Good things about 8 pass.
If you have 5 people (e.g. 2 adults and 3 kids), you can all be in 1st 2 rows allowing large cargo space in rear.
You can get 1 extra person in. (i.e. total of 8 )

I have the 8 pass version and I know that when I fold all the seats down, I end up with a solid flat surface. Is this also true for the 7 passenger? (i.e. do the buckets fold flat to the same level as the 3rd row?)

·
Registered
70 Posts
GAR said:
I have the 8 pass version and I know that when I fold all the seats down, I end up with a solid flat surface. Is this also true for the 7 passenger? (i.e. do the buckets fold flat to the same level as the 3rd row?)
There is a square hole that goes down about 8-10" where the middle seat would be. So, in essence you would get slightly more cargo space with the 7 pass. with the seats folded down if you utilized the "hole"

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I figured that there would be a hole if looking from the top. I'm wondering if looking from the side, will all surfaces be on the same level. (i.e. a flat floor)

·
Registered
812 Posts
skibum69 said:
There is a square hole that goes down about 8-10" where the middle seat would be. So, in essence you would get slightly more cargo space with the 7 pass. with the seats folded down if you utilized the "hole"
im glad i read this 3-4times as i was about ready to tear up the carpet and tell my wife she got extra storage space between the captains chairs underneath the floor..... ;D

·
Registered
54 Posts
I will also be buying mine this week so I would also be interested in any feedback. My situation is a bit different.

I will be getting the DVD player as well so that would be great to know about.
My kids a somewhat older so I really liked the buckets on the second row. The Bose sound system sounded great to me even though I read it sounded weak in low volume.

Hope to hear more..

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also forgot to add that I will be getting the White Diamond Tri-Coat. We have a black car now and it does get messy and show little spots much, much quicker than other colors. You pay more for that color, but it looks much more elegant than the others.

·
Registered
60 Posts
1. We were really undecided on the seats. We have a 2 yr old and 4 yr old and we wanted 2nd row captains chairs for easier access to the 3rd row(since it's actually a usable 3rd row). However, we wanted cloth seats which means getting the SLE trim which comes with the bench second row only...at least according to the GMC web site. But to our pleasant surprise, our local dealer just got in an SLE with ebony cloth bucket seats - just what we wanted...and we took it home on Saturday. Our kids think the captains chairs are the greatest thing in the world. I'm still not sure why the GMC web site doesn't list the captains chairs as an option for the SLE trim, nor did the dealer. We searched the Acadia inventory within 200 miles and this was the only one we found out of about 75 vehicles.

2. The DVD player wasn't a priority for us. We have (2) 8" portable players that we strap to the back of the front headrests that we use. These are the swivel/fold-flat type so they don't stick out very far. The one thing we like about this setup is that they can be used individually to watch separate movies(which hasn't been an issue yet). Or with a A/V cable they can be connected together and you can play one movie on one of the players and send the audio/video to the other player so the movie is playing on both screens. I bought long enough cables so they are tucked neatly along the seatbacks and out of the way. It's a $200 setup but works great.
We didn't get the Bose system - we have the stock radio/cd player with XM. I would consider it average sounding. I haven't heard the Acadia Bose, but I had it previously in my Nissan Pathfinder and it sounded fantastic so I'm sure the Acadia Bose does also.

3. Colors...that's so subjective...only you can decide what looks good to you. We ended up with Red Jewel. This is our first red and we really like it.

We've only had the vehicle for 3 days, but absolutely love it. When we checked it out at the auto show, we knew it was the closest thing to a perfect vehicle for us. It sealed the deal when we folded our double-stroller and put it behind the 3rd row and could still close the hatch. Outside of a minivan or one of the 'fuller-size' SUVs, this was the first vehicle that could do this.

Good luck on your choices!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
GAR said:
I just looked at the website http://www.gmc.com/acadia/acadia/specsInterior.jsp and it seems the 7 passenger comes standard with 8 passenger and the 7 passenger is an option. The opposite seems true for the SLT.
Saturn offers the 8 passenger standard with 7 as the option on both XE & XR lines.

I've attached photos of the rear seats folded down in my 7 passenger Outlook to answer your question. The space between the Captain's Chairs offers an extra cubby to put stuff in.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
GAR said:
I just looked at the website http://www.gmc.com/acadia/acadia/specsInterior.jsp and it seems the 7 passenger comes standard with 8 passenger and the 7 passenger is an option. The opposite seems true for the SLT.
I guess I never noticed that before. I would always go through the 'Build your Vehicle' selection. When you get to the SLE options, the 7-passenger seating is not listed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.