GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend several Acadias with 8 passenger seating were sold before we could get to them, so this past week I was feeling pretty desperate. I found one that was close to what I wanted in my first choice color (red jewel) - it was missing entertainment and AWD. I also kept an eye on a fully loaded white diamond that had more than what we wanted. We went to see it Thursday night but they would only come down $500 off the MSRP. A little ridiculous, considering it had been sitting there for at least three weeks. I was discouraged about that until we got home and had a message from the first dealer we talked to - he found us exactly what we wanted at another dealer 150 miles away, and they were willing to trade. He also gave us a great price right off the bat. Today I called to check on the progress of getting it here and was told that the other dealer was too busy to do the trade this weekend, but they'd call first thing tomorrow with a status update. I'm afraid that the other dealer might have sold it - wouldn't that be more to their advantage than a trade? Hopefully they'll be true to their word. I can't stand the suspense! If only we weren't so stuck on an 8 passenger. Another dealer called us about 15 times this weekend, saying they hadn't met their quota and were desperate to sell. But they don't have any 8 passengers. Anyone have any success stories about dealer trades?

·
Registered
246 Posts
shellbell said:
I'm afraid that the other dealer might have sold it - wouldn't that be more to their advantage than a trade? Hopefully they'll be true to their word.

Anyone have any success stories about dealer trades?
I have gotten several vehicles thru dealer trades in the past and never had a problem, but this probably varies from
dealer to dealer, and what kind of relationship the 2 dealers involved have. Keep in mind also, that a dealer trade
doesn't necessarily involve 2 vehicles of the same model. If both dealers have a vehicle the other one needs, then
it will be in both dealers interest to complete the trade. Hopefully everything works out for you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just got mine this weekend through a dealer trade. The first one found had already been sold. The second dealer refused to trade. I found a third using GM's website and pointed it out to my dealer. That one worked. The dealer setup the trade on Thursday, went and got the car on Friday and we finalized the deal, and had it ready for me at 1pm on Saturday. I compromised a bit on this one by adding some of the high price options, but so far I'm really happy and think they'll be worth it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
shellbell said:
Last weekend several Acadias with 8 passenger seating were sold before we could get to them, so this past week I was feeling pretty desperate. I found one that was close to what I wanted in my first choice color (red jewel) - it was missing entertainment and AWD. I also kept an eye on a fully loaded white diamond that had more than what we wanted. We went to see it Thursday night but they would only come down $500 off the MSRP. A little ridiculous, considering it had been sitting there for at least three weeks. I was discouraged about that until we got home and had a message from the first dealer we talked to - he found us exactly what we wanted at another dealer 150 miles away, and they were willing to trade. He also gave us a great price right off the bat. Today I called to check on the progress of getting it here and was told that the other dealer was too busy to do the trade this weekend, but they'd call first thing tomorrow with a status update. I'm afraid that the other dealer might have sold it - wouldn't that be more to their advantage than a trade? Hopefully they'll be true to their word. I can't stand the suspense! If only we weren't so stuck on an 8 passenger. Another dealer called us about 15 times this weekend, saying they hadn't met their quota and were desperate to sell. But they don't have any 8 passengers. Anyone have any success stories about dealer trades?
Have you considered the Saturn Outlook, 95% of their stock seems to be the 8 passenger setup since thats standard with them.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My dealer trade worked out ok, they had to bring it in from about 150 miles out. Dealer (McConnell GMC in Mobile) had to work to make it happen, but all worked out ok in end and they did a good job. Another local dealer who advertises a bunch only was able to come up with completely unacceptable vehicles and really did not try-had a lot more of a take it or leave it attitude so I left it :angryfire:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah, usually if all goes as planned, each dealer is in agreement and very much willing to go through with it--they both get a vehicle they want out of the swap. First step is just getting in agreement with the other, and then it just depends on setting it all up.

I'd be a little worried with the other being busy and not able to do it yet, but that also could really mean nothing. Just keep checking in with your dealer, and go from there.

When we were buying our Suburban, we wanted a combo that no one local had, and sat down with a salesperson to find some. One that was perfect at first couldn't be had because it was "sold", but it never went away and on question they finally just said they didn't want to trade it. But, we found another and it really wasn't even a question, I assume because our dealer had worked with the other before. Figured out the numbers, they confirmed the transfer with the other dealer, gave us a date, went and got it, and all was done just as if it came off the local lot.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, everything seems to be going okay now. Our dealer waited all day yesterday to hear back from the other dealer - they still had the Acadia but were taking a long time deciding which vehicle they wanted for the trade. But last night they finally decided, and our guy said they're sending a driver out this morning and we should have the car tonight. I'm hopeful everything will work out, but I won't totally believe it until I have the keys in my hand.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Just to be on the safe side I would ask them to verify how many miles are on the vehicle you will be getting before they go get it, just to make sure you are comfortable with it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Our dealer told me that this is its second trade, so there are 400 - 500 miles on it. I just hope no one who drove it smoked in it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All's well that ends well. After anxiously waiting all day yesterday, I drove away in my new Acadia at 9:15 last night. And it only had 303 miles - not as many as I feared.

·
Registered
246 Posts
shellbell said:
All's well that ends well. After anxiously waiting all day yesterday, I drove away in my new Acadia at 9:15 last night. And it only had 303 miles - not as many as I feared.
Woo Hoo. Party time. :cheers:

·
Registered
39 Posts
As much as we love the Acadia, I would be VERY cautious about dealer to dealer trades. My first GMC Jimmy was a trade for options I wanted and it was at a dealer 200miles away. Found out later from friend in dealership that "kid" who drove the vehicle to dealer for exchange ran it at 80 to 90 mph for the 200 miles on I70! Over time I developed engine and transmission problems that persisted after warranty. I have to believe that improper break in was the culprit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great. It's a little too late now. I hope whoever drove my Acadia had more integrity than that kid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts