GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to order a 2009 Acadia but I am worried about all of the problems and leaks people are having. (I want a sunroof) I saw a Ford Edge today that looked sharp and I was checking out a forum dedicated to them and they don't seem to be having near as many problems and it is a newer vehicle also. Does anyone have any opinion on the Ford Edge? I really love the Acadia but they didn't fix the leak problem and many other problems in the newer 08's so are they going to fix them in the 09???

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: GETTING COLD FEET

Don't forget that the people with problems tend to be the most vocal and the people without problems tend to be much less vocal on a forum like this. Of the 5002 members on this forum, how many are actually reporting these problems, and how many seem to be quiet on these issues. ALL VEHICLES have problems and they tend to be less serious than it first appears on this forum such as this. What about all the owners without problems who you haven't heard from. I personally haven't had any problems with my Acadia. Also check out http://www.truedelta.com/index.php?session_code= for Acadia and other vehicles reported reliability.

·
Registered
195 Posts

I work with a girl that would give anything to get her hands on a GMC product and give back her Edge. They traded their Yukon XL for the Edge and she and her husband both agree that the quality of the GMC is superior to the Ford and they wish they would have paid the extra for the Acadia.

I bought a 1987 Mustang GT 5.0 convertible and while it looked great it was in the shop more than on the road - and not due to driver abuse. I would NEVER EVER buy another Ford!!!!

Remember, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
200 Posts

cdolvin said:
I am getting ready to order a 2009 Acadia but I am worried about all of the problems and leaks people are having. (I want a sunroof) I saw a Ford Edge today that looked sharp and I was checking out a forum dedicated to them and they don't seem to be having near as many problems and it is a newer vehicle also. Does anyone have any opion on the Ford Edge? I really love the Acadia but they didn't fix the leak problem and many other problems in the newer 08's so are they going to fix them in the 09???
Dual sunroof here with no leaks. Acadia has lots more room than the Edge and IMHO is a lot more fun all around. That Edge back seat fits 2.5 people.....Acadia even with the Captains chairs second row solidly fits 6/7 depending on size in that 3rd row and distance of trip. Edge has a powerful engine, but with the 5/8 transmission flash that advantage is gone and the Acadia is powerful too. When I priced the Edge and started adding options, the price really rose, to the tune of 30k+, and that's when I realized it made no sense whatsoever to look further at the Edge instead of what I really wanted, the Acadia. It was a great move.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

bseemore said:
I bought a 1987 Mustang GT 5.0 convertible and while it looked great it was in the shop more than on the road - and not due to driver abuse. I would NEVER EVER buy another F**d!!!!

Remember, you get what you pay for.
Besides, friends don't let friends drive F**ds :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

I can't speak to the Edge, but as much as I like my Acadia, I would not buy one with a sunroof. In this poll over half of the owners with sunroofs reported leaks:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1956.0

Maybe the problems have been resolved, but it sure smells like a design flaw with the drain hoses. Who even knows if the ones that have been fixed will eventually have problems again? Maybe the risk is worth it to some, but I would not play Russian roulette with the kind of odds I've seen with sunroofs on this forum.

·
Registered
152 Posts

cdolvin said:
I am getting ready to order a 2009 Acadia but I am worried about all of the problems and leaks people are having. (I want a sunroof) I saw a Ford Edge today that looked sharp and I was checking out a forum dedicated to them and they don't seem to be having near as many problems and it is a newer vehicle also. Does anyone have any opion on the Ford Edge? I really love the Acadia but they didn't fix the leak problem and many other problems in the newer 08's so are they going to fix them in the 09???
Dual skyroofs, love em...NO LEAKS!! Been through many rain storms...No LEAKS!! Build quality is awesome.
I'm coming up on 4 months of ownership and I have not had one problem :thumb:

We bought mainly for utility (needed the three rows), great looks, features, mpg and comfort. I would highly
recommend acadia! Having said that I think the Edge is a great looking truck also. I have a friend who
raves about theirs, they did not want a 3rd row, and the Edge met their needs. :cheers:

·
Registered
28 Posts

The Edge is much smaller, much different vehicle in my opinion. I looked at it and drove it but once I priced one, the difference was negligible. I believe the mileage was essentially the same if I remember correctly. I haven't noticed a leak from my sunroofs in 3 months, I haven't really looked though. I get the impression if they were leaking I would notice it.

·
Registered
624 Posts

loach said:
I can't speak to the Edge, but as much as I like my Acadia, I would not buy one with a sunroof. In this poll over half of the owners with sunroofs reported leaks:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1956.0

Maybe the problems have been resolved, but it sure smells like a design flaw with the drain hoses. Who even knows if the ones that have been fixed will eventually have problems again? Maybe the risk is worth it to some, but I would not play Russian roulette with the kind of odds I've seen with sunroofs on this forum.
What you people who proclaim "gloom and doom" due to a "poll result" fail to realize is this - ONLY 170 people even VOTED in the d**n poll! There are over 5000 members JUST in this forum! Let me play this game as well of using "poll results" as I see fit. I think we could assume that out of over 5000 Acadia owners, only 60 people have reported a leak.....that's around 1% of all Acadia owners ON THIS FORUM! While I don't want to make light of those that have had the problem, PLEASE REMEMBER that most people use a forum to VENT and find help for their problem. I remember on the Grand Am GT forum that I was a member of, I was PARANOID for the first couple of years I owned mine due to the "vast numbers" of people complaining about sunoof water leaks. Well, 8 years later and 161,000+ miles and I still had a watertight car when I traded her in.

I will say this....we have TWO lambdas (the Enclave is 10 months old) and no leaks. Go with your heart and buy what you want, but please don't fall into the trap of being scared away by what really only amounts to a fraction of a percent of ALL lambda owners reporting this problem.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

Another good source of info are the Edmunds model year reviews by consumers. You can sort these out by model, i.e. SLE ot SLT1 and also FWD/AWD so you can read about the experiences of owners of your prospective vehicle in their own words. Edmunds also assigns a numerical rating to the vehicle based on their review and owner reviews. As of today, the Acadia is 8.8/10 on the owner score, a very decent score. For the 2008 model, there are currently 119 reviews. I did a keyword search for "sunroof" on the first 5 of 10 pages of reviews and the only references were positive- they liked the feature. Keep in mind as ccaats posted above that this is a very small sampling of tens of thousands of owners. Also like he said, the ones with problems tend to be more vocal.

I used this when looking at cars for my kid, I was leaning towards a New Beetle but after reading the reviews, I found there were a few build quality issues that were consistently reported.

As for the Lambda sunroof, I like sunroofs, even unusual ones like the dual setup. The wife tested one and didn't like it since the front one was fairly small and there was no solid cover under either (just the screen material) like there was in the Bonneville SSEi we owned. She was concerned about the interior heating up. Her vehicle, so it is her call, the reported leaks did not factor into this decision.

ccaats made a good point about the statistics. The unknown factor of course are the tens of thousands of owners that do not belong here. From what I've read, this is mostly a 2007 model issue. Once it came to light, it was addressed. This happens with the first model year of every vehicle.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

ccaats said:
What you people who proclaim "gloom and doom" due to a "poll result" fail to realize is this - ONLY 170 people even VOTED in the d**n poll! There are over 5000 members JUST in this forum! Let me play this game as well of using "poll results" as I see fit. I think we could assume that out of over 5000 Acadia owners, only 60 people have reported a leak.....that's around 1% of all Acadia owners ON THIS FORUM! While I don't want to make light of those that have had the problem, PLEASE REMEMBER that most people use a forum to VENT and find help for their problem. I remember on the Grand Am GT forum that I was a member of, I was PARANOID for the first couple of years I owned mine due to the "vast numbers" of people complaining about sunoof water leaks. Well, 8 years later and 161,000+ miles and I still had a watertight car when I traded her in.

I will say this....we have TWO lambdas (the Enclave is 10 months old) and no leaks. Go with your heart and buy what you want, but please don't fall into the trap of being scared away by what really only amounts to a fraction of a percent of ALL lambda owners reporting this problem.
Take a chill pill. My opinion is not "gloom and doom". The original poster asked for opinions and is receiving them. Believe it or not, some may vary from yours. I realize the poll is a small sample - I'm sure many more owners would have voted if they poll wouldn't have expired. Who knows what the results would be.

Before I bought my Acadia, I read about many problems about the '07s and took most of them with a grain of salt - the exception being the transmission hesitation issues. I test drove and decided I could live with that, especially given that fixes were in the works. But the fact of the matter is that the sunroof leak is the next most pervasive problem that I've seen on this forum, and given the kind of damage water can cause, I wouldn't risk it. Others would, and that's fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I do not have any sunroof and I never have as I know many who have and did not like the maintenance associated with them. Most sunroofs leak at some point no matter the make or model for many different reasons. (ask T-top owners especially) I love this car and while I hope nothing bad happens, short of explosions and doors randomly falling off, I'll deal with the problems. All cars will have issues if you do enough research. Do not let something seemingly easy to fix cause you grief; gas prices do enough damage!

·
Registered
96 Posts

dual sunroof on my 08 and no leaks. my 08 has had no issues at all in the first 5 months and the only thing i had done was an optional transmission computer update that makes the shifting pattern more to my liking, i couldn't be happier with the vehicle. the vast majority of sunroof leaks were on 2007 models where a rain gutter channel had no been hooked up properly during assembly for many cars and there was a notice put out about that, i have seen few 08 sunroof issues claimed.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

I had a leak. They fixed it. No problems since and it has been almost a year. If you want the sunroofs, get them. It really was not that big of an issue for us.

·
Registered
117 Posts

mncm said:
I do not have any sunroof and I never have as I know many who have and did not like the maintenance associated with them. Most sunroofs leak at some point no matter the make or model for many different reasons. (ask T-top owners especially)
I have owned 3 cars with sunroofs, and never had a drop leak in (Acadia, Grand Prix, and Volkswagon). I can also say that I have never done any special maintainence on them either. I love them. I would have to disagree that most sunroofs leak.

·
Registered
49 Posts

I had a leak last month. My wife took it in, they had it in the shop for a day and fixed it at no cost to us. No problems since. If that's the worst thing that happens, I'll take that over some other vehicles any day.

·
Registered
113 Posts

I currently own a '01 Accord with a sunroof and my '08 Acadia with a sunroof and have not had any leaks. If I were to do it over again, I would order a vehicle with a sunroof everytime. BTW, I live in Houston so I am very familiar with rain.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

No leaks from our sunroof either. :thumb:

·
Registered
2 Posts

Don't assume all of the 5000+ members on this forum drive Acadia's. I for example have Outlook (08). I am pretty sure there are many others on this forum like me. Well I have leak in my Outlook, the car has been 3 times in for that problem. Saying have, not had, as since the last time I was in it hasn't rained yet. Not very pleasant experience so far, that's different story though.

Better check sales numbers and compare to them. Of course there are way more Acadia's sold than the number of members on this forum, poll just can't provide real statistics. Only GM has the right numbers, but I doubt they will ever reveal them :)
It is true that very small percentage experienced the problem, not enough to initiate recall I guess. But 100+ reports only on this forum on same deffect is quite big number. And if that happens to you it is 100% for you :). There is design and/or build flaw - that's no question - the 100+ number is enough to prove it IMO.

So far - not enough 2009s sold I guess, at least nobody reported 2009 leaking to my knowledge. I've got a word it was 2007, early 2008 build issue - late build 2008 owners - chime in please!

I knew about the leak problem before I buy my car and indeed bought it. It is up to you to decide. IMO - this shouldn't stop you if the car suits your needs and you like it.

Peace

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dual roof on our Acadia....No problems at all.

The problem with the drain tubes was noticed and corrected on the build line. This does not mean that vehicles outside of the effected VIN break will never have issues but it gives you a good idea of what VIN numbers are more likely to encounter a problem. See below...

Condition
Certain 2008 model year Buick Enclave; 2007-2008 model year GMC Acadia and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a sunroof may have a condition in which water is not properly drained away from the sunroof. If this condition were to occur, water may enter the interior of the vehicle and dampen the carpet, upholstery, and other interior components.

Correction
Dealers/retailers are to install drain tube extension assemblies, and ensure that the water drains properly.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2008 model year Buick Enclave; 2007-2008 model year GMC Acadia and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a sunroof and built within these VIN breakpoints:

Year
Division
Model
From
Through

Buick
Enclave
8J100004
8J168550

GMC
Acadia
7J100150
7J175624

GMC
Acadia
8J100942
8J168630

Saturn
OUTLOOK
7J100003
7J175620

Saturn
OUTLOOK
8J100640
8J168626

The number you see here are the last 8 digits of your vehicle identification number. This can be located on your ownerships/title or the drivers side windshield at the bottom and other places. The fix is a 1 day process in which the dealer will drop the headliner, add the tube extensions and dry the carpets and make sure the underlay is also dry. Any other components damaged by water could also be replaced. This happens to such a small percentage of these vehicles that I would not let it impact your decision to get the roofs!!

Hope this helped.

GM

1 - 20 of 33 Posts