GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my Acadia on Oct. 30. Just got a call from the salesperson that the car is at the dealers on Dec. 31. After waiting this long, I'm getting cold feet about buying an American car. :confused:

I drove a Toyota Sequoia for 3 years and have been driving my husband's 1999 Acura RL for the past month so have gotten used to the Japanese cars.

Also, although I always lease my vehicles, the lease rate on this car is not attractive, so I'm thinking about purchasing but very, very afraid of purchasing American after bad experiences in the past with GM and Chrysler/Jeep. ::)

Someone convince me that I will like this car, please! ;D

·
Registered
249 Posts
OMG you'll LOVE IT. The Acadia really a demonstration of what American manufacturers can do when they put the full weight of their money and expertise into it. I have now owned my Acadia for seven weeks, and I still can't wait to go drive it. It gets looks like crazy - a LOT of badge-readers who see the car from the front then sneak a look at the back to see what it is.

You won't be disappointed!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Aclavelook said:
OMG you'll LOVE IT. The Acadia really a demonstration of what American manufacturers can do when they put the full weight of their money and expertise into it. I have now owned my Acadia for seven weeks, and I still can't wait to go drive it. It gets looks like crazy - a LOT of badge-readers who see the car from the front then sneak a look at the back to see what it is.

You won't be disappointed!
:ditto:

We love our Acadia and have not had a single issue with it. In fact, the last three pickups I've had have all been Silverados ('99, '03, '07) and I put over 150K miles on the first two and already have almost 30K on my '07 without any significant issues. I had my experiences with lousey GMs and Fords in the 80s and 90s and came back to GM with no regrets. In fact, we had to put a new transmission in our '02 Odyssey after only 65K miles. No automaker is perfect.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can hardly speak highly enough about our Acadia. See my post re: just returning from an extensive trip through CO in blizzard conditions.

I've had mine for 6-7 weeks; 2500 miles. It's a fantastic car.

j

·
Registered
275 Posts
baseballmom94 said:
but very, very afraid of purchasing American after bad experiences in the past with GM and Chrysler/Jeep. ::)

Someone convince me that I will like this car, please! ;D
Juts about anything you get with at least a year production behind it these days, from any manufacturer, will be a decent, reliable vehicle for at least the next 5 years. Just about everyone's powertrain warranty covers that period, with many going beyond. Build qualities are about par - just look at the recalls of the Tundra vs the new Silverado and Sierra for comparison. The only thing differentiating vehicles exclusively sold in North America is that the build tolerances are not quite up to European standards; hence why the Euro gen 2 Ford Focus isn't sold here; it's too costly for the North America market.

And trust me; having come a family with a very strong "import=better" background, Honda and Toyota have absolutely nothing to offer in the way of superiority anymore, save the fact that you can brag about your resell to your neighbors. If you are worrying about resell value, maybe a new car isn't for you. I have an uncle that swore by Honda for the last 20 years, only to give up after 3 problematic Honda products in a row (Accord, Pilot, Highlander) and go with a new CTS.

It's going to boil down to this; everyone will side with what they've owned for the last 5 years, and there are bad apples on both sides, whether it's import or domestic. And don't forget; the majority of Honda and Toyota vehicles are now built in North America, so the line between domestic and import really has blurred.

There is nothing out there that can offer the size or value of the Acadia without having either a higher price, higher interest, or smaller size.

Personally, I've owned both domestics and imports in the last 10 years, and I can safely say that GM really has pulled up their bootstraps and can now compete on the same level as many of the so-called "desired" brands. Unless pigs fly, I will never buy a Honda or Toyota ever again.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
base......., you will have to be the judge as to what you want to buy. If you have doubts on the Acadia, then it is not for you at this time.

·
Registered
812 Posts
i have my doubts but i still want one..... ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Be careful! I just picked up my 08 Acadia last Thursday (12/27) and I've already experienced a dead battery problem. Went out to start it and no power at all. Had to call Roadside Assistance for a jump. Turns out I left my dome light on and it drained the battery. That shouldn't happen! Especially since the vehicle is supposed to have Battery Rundown Protection. Evidently that feature is not functioning properly in my vehicle. Already have to get it serviced and it's not even a week old. I have 2 kids under 4 and I'm not real excited about the possibility of getting stranded somewhere because of a dead battery. Disappointed.. :'(

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had mine about 6 weeks and I love it.......no issues, other than snow in the wheel wells once.....
It's a great vehicle. I've been buying GM for the last 10 years and they've all been great vehicles, without a single problem..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
One good thing about GM is that on the owner's manual has a correct phone number. I read that Honda printed an adult only number in their books. It was one of the biggest business oops of 2007. Of course, China's problems came in first.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have never owned a GM vehicle before and I have been driving since 1961 (you do the math). The Acadia is flat out one of the best (if not the best car) I have ever owned. If you need a car of this size (and that is the key), you can't go wrong. I have had my car since last January, and have no complaints.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sequoia?....been there, done that. You will like the Acadia so much more. Honestly, the vehicle drives so much better then the Sequoia, there is no comparison. Not mention the Sequoia looks so dated to me now. Has there been any update to that vehicle? Ever? I was hesitant too, but relax, you will enjoy driving American for a change.

·
Registered
812 Posts
donlovestheas said:
Sequoia?....been there, done that. You will like the Acadia so much more. Honestly, the vehicle drives so much better then the Sequoia, there is no comparison. Not mention the Sequoia looks so dated to me now. Has there been any update to that vehicle? Ever? I was hesitant too, but relax, you will enjoy driving American for a change.
that dated vehicle is an SUV, drives like a truck and behaves like a truck and the 2008 Sequoia although full of bell and whistles just look plain ugly to me..... second ugliest car in the Toyota line-up, the first being the Highlander..... ;D

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd been a Toyota man for years and years, prior to buying my '08 SLT-1. Toyota's styling is getting strange, I agree. Combine that with all the recent quality slip-ups, and there you have the reason I even considered the Acadia. Toyota's chasing quantity leadership, and quality has taken a backseat, no surprise there. GM has begun crawling out of that same hole, with their newer models.

·
Registered
812 Posts
mktuttle said:
I'd been a Toyota man for years and years, prior to buying my '08 SLT-1. Toyota's styling is getting strange, I agree. Combine that with all the recent quality slip-ups, and there you have the reason I even considered the Acadia. Toyota's chasing quantity leadership, and quality has taken a backseat, no surprise there. GM has begun crawling out of that same hole, with their newer models.
your absolutely right! :thumb: seems like Toyota is heading to that direction while Gm is doing the exact opposite.... quantity vs. quality seems hard to balance in the auto industry, maybe thats the payoof of being NO.1. very very sad!!!

They should fire all their auto designers for coming up with crappy design --- i remember that the Corolla - their long time bread and butter -- was suppose to come out a month after the Honda Civic but was put on hold and redesign after they found out that the new Civic was completely in a different league among the compact sedans--- to release the "new corolla" now with the same butt and still unemotional front end --- in short POS!!! is for me an insult to their loyal customers. Dont forget that Camry with the Mazda 3 front and BMW rear end.... its just below generic.... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Anytime you buy a new car you take a risk as all cars will have the few that have problems. That is shown on this forum for the Acadia. But the Acadia is one of the best. It is recommended by Consumer Reports due to low failure rate and is a great vehicle. We love ours and would recommend it to anyone that needs a car this size. Our 2008 has been error free.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just buy it. You'll love it! Yeah, every vehicle has problems. I had a jeep that was in the shop 15 times the first 6 months I had it. I kept it and ran the heck out of it. Had 170k on it when we traded. I'll only buy american because of the reliability I've had with them. My family has had either fords or GMs and both have given us exceptional service. I won't even consider an import, especially with Toyota's recent problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Forgive my boldness but... how do we know if you'll like the Acadia? That's your decision isn't it? I don't know you and I'm sure most of the people here don't either, so I wouldn't be so presumptuous to tell you what you will or won't like. Decisions like which car to buy, color of shoes, etc. aren't life changing decisions. If you don't like it, you move on... no harm, no foul.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts