GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked at how easy/hard it is to do simple maintenance - drive belt changes, oil changes, spark plugs, waterpump, etc.? If I buy an Acadia, I plan to keep it over 100,000 miles. On my last car, I was able to do most maintenance myself, but it was rear-drive. The waterpump I consider normal maintenance at around 80,000 miles, which is when they have gone bad for me in the past. I'm not sure how cramped the engine compartment is on the Lambdas. Let me know.

BTW, I often research other cars as well. Check out this forum topic about the new Toyota Camry: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225365

Looks like just to change the waterpump, the V6 engine must be removed. Since the 08 Highlander is on the same chassis, I'm thinking it too will require the same thing. So, to change a simple waterpump you're looking at $1500-2000 or close to it. I've had the waterpump go on all my cars, and it was simple enough for me to change.

Consumer Reports never mentions this either, which means that you cannot trust their judgement.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One way to guard against unexpected expenses like $1500-$2000 to replace a waterpump is to buy a GM Protection Plan. I bought a 6-year/100,000 mile plan with a $100 deductible because I plan on keeping my vehicle for at least 100,000 miles as well. My recollection is it cost me something around $1,600--my thinking was it was "peace of mind" insurance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The GM protection plan is a good idea, but the Acadia comes with a 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty already plus the 3yr/36,000 mile standard "everything" warranty. So what exactly does the protection plan cover? I'm figuring at best it extends the 3yr warranty to 6yrs...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have 5 years 100k, $0 deductable and it cost 1240 and I did it at 10k miles so I am covered till 110k miles. F it man, F it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just went over to Toyotanation to read about the waterpump replacement issue.

While it was interesting, I noticed even more the overall negative tone and attacks going on. Those guys (and maybe girls) are really hard on each other. Lots of putdowns and flames.

I'm glad this group is more civil; it's one of the many things I appreciate.

Speaking of expensive maintenance, I have a Subaru WRX with the 2.0 liter 4 cyl turbo engine. I have to take it to the dealer for spark plug replacement every 60K because they are buried so deep in the engine you can't get at them. In fact, I can't say for sure 100% that there really are plugs in there anywhere! I've certainly never seen them, and believe me I've looked.

But, they charge me a few hundred bucks to replace them, so I hope they're actually doing something with their time and my money. :D

It definitely grates on me to spend hundreds of dollars to install about $20 of plugs, but I sort of just grin and bear it. In every other way, it's been a very fun and reliable car, so I put up with the pain.

Back to topic...

·
Super Moderator
22,416 Posts
YO!
If you can afford an Acadia, why would you want to do the maintenance yourself? It's much better to have someone else do the work and keep your records if something goes wrong and warranty questions whether or not the vehicle was maintained properly. I've seen that happen a lot. Take the "A" to a dealer, man! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are there any issues having general maintenance (oil changes etc.) done by third party shops, rather than at a GM dealer? I mean with respect to warranty concerns. My neighbour has a Jaguar (I know, apples and oranges) and went and had his oil changed at some speedy oil change shop.

When he went to take his car for warranty service, they gave him an incredibly hard time and threatened to void his warranty.....over an OIL CHANGE!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Aclavelook said:
Are there any issues having general maintenance (oil changes etc.) done by third party shops, rather than at a GM dealer? I mean with respect to warranty concerns. My neighbour has a Jaguar (I know, apples and oranges) and went and had his oil changed at some speedy oil change shop.

When he went to take his car for warranty service, they gave him an incredibly hard time and threatened to void his warranty.....over an OIL CHANGE!
For new vehicles sold in the U.S., no manufacturer can deny a warranty claim if the vehicle was serviced outside the dealership as long as the service was performed properly -
(Mangnuson-Moss Warranty Act, US CODE: Title 15, Sec. 2302(c) - (c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—
(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.

Basically the Federal Trade Commission interprets this as the manufacturer cannot require any service be performed at the dealership unless the service is performed free of charge. So Speedy Lube can change the oil in your friends Jaguar and Jaguar cannot void his warranty unless Speedy Lube screwed something up and forgot to tighten up the drain plug which resulted in all the oil leaking out and the engine seizing up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Aclavelook said:
Basically the Federal Trade Commission interprets this as the manufacturer cannot require any service be performed at the dealership unless the service is performed free of charge. So Speedy Lube can change the oil in your friends Jaguar and Jaguar cannot void his warranty unless Speedy Lube screwed something up and forgot to tighten up the drain plug which resulted in all the oil leaking out and the engine seizing up.
This is exactly correct legally, but it is still a must to keep good records of any services not performed by the dealer, including service you do yourself. While you will very likely prevail in the long run on any warranty issue with your vehicle, dealers and manufacturers are likely to use this as a smoke screen to avoid holding up their end of the warranty deal, irregardless of what the law says. Just be informed of your rights under the law and let the manufacturer/dealer know this. I think some car manufacturers are worse about this than others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts