GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, all of a sudden my wife couldn't shift from park to reverse, to drive, to anything. No warning previously. She shut the car off, restarted the engine, still no go. After several attempts, she apparently was able to shift into gear, but she says it had a tremendous amount of resistance to movement and made a horrible grinding noise. Made it home fortunately. Same issue this morning, so she gets the kids to school, then straight to the local GMC dealership. Wouldn't you know it, when she and the service technician go to check it out, the car shifts into gear perfectly. She leaves to go to bible study, and it does the same exact thing when she is ready to leave. Back to the dealership she goes. Service technician sees a couple of spots of tea or soft drink or something on the cup holders, then proceeds to tell my wife that she has gummed up the shifter by spilling something on the console. Well, neither she nor I have ever spilled more than a drop or two of anything in the cupholders or on the console. Dealer tells us this won't be covered by warranty or the GMC Protection Plan I purchased on this lemon. Well, after I get off work, I go by and ask to see the "gunk" inside the shift console from this mysterious and unwittnessed spill. Guess what, sure I see tiny amounts of sticky residue in the cupholders and on the exterior cover, but I find a grand total of ONE 3 mm sticky spot on the floor of the console, and it is nowhere near the actual shift mechanism. I touched all the moving parts, looking for sticky residue from phantom "spill". Nada.

Very, very disappointed again with this purchase and with the explanation for this most recent crisis from the service manager and mechanic. I don't buy the story at all (and regret I ever bought the vehicle). We have not abused this vehicle or poured anything inside of it. Have had rain pour into it requiring three trips to the dealership, but that was no fault of ours. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with their Acadia floor console shifter. My Acadia is a 2007 model purchased new last June and has barely 20,000 miles on it. I have never, ever had this many problems from any new or used car purchase in my life.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Are you sure she is depressing the brake pedal hard enough. The same thing happened to my wife and it turned out she wasn't pushing the brake pedal hard enough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have had that happen, sort of, when vehicle is on an incline thus the weight of the vehicle being on the tranny. When trying to then shift in reverse it feels a little hard, never happened on a completely flat area though.

·
Registered
812 Posts
:ditto: agree with lewisra, seems to me your dealer is playing hard boiled.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I think you should report your dealer to GM consumer affairs. I think what they said is BULL!! If they put anything even remotely near a CUP HOLDER and expect you not to spill something there, then they are just STUPID!! And I can't imagine that you could possible gunk up a shifter lever with coffee, tea, or soda enough to cause your issue. The leverage that the shift lever has could certainly overcome a bit of sticky drink. And furthermore, if it was something sticky, how in the world was it intermittent and would come and go. That service department must be near incompetent!!

Push back and push back hard. Your problem MUST be covered under warranty or GM might as well go out of business now.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My first thought was the brake pedal also.

·
Registered
263 Posts
big bear craig said:
Are you sure she is depressing the brake pedal hard enough. The same thing happened to my wife and it turned out she wasn't pushing the brake pedal hard enough.
Yes, Yes... I totally agree with this. I think that is a safety feature so you don't drop it into gear and run over a small child before you hit the brake...sorry, terrible visual. I, too, have done this...NOT RUN OVER THE CHILD....I have not pushed in the brake hard enough and it won't go into gear. I had the moment of panic..OMG, the car is broken. Then I figured it out....duh on my part :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today my wife came home and parked in are drive way which has a pretty good incline. She put the are new Acadia in park and got out she got our 3 year old out first and as she was walking around to get are on year old out the vehicle started rolling backward. She ran back around got in an put the emerdency brake on. Then started the truck and shifted to drive to pull the truck back to the top of the driveway with her foot on the gas irolled to the bottom of the driveway. She then put it in reverse backed up a bit then shifted back to drive and drove up to the top of the drive this time applying the park break. I tryed to get it to do it again but couldent so I called the dealer and its going in on monday. :angryfire:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
tldyck said:
Today my wife came home and parked in are drive way which has a pretty good incline. She put the are new Acadia in park and got out she got our 3 year old out first and as she was walking around to get are on year old out the vehicle started rolling backward. She ran back around got in an put the emerdency brake on. Then started the truck and shifted to drive to pull the truck back to the top of the driveway with her foot on the gas irolled to the bottom of the driveway. She then put it in reverse backed up a bit then shifted back to drive and drove up to the top of the drive this time applying the park break. I tryed to get it to do it again but couldent so I called the dealer and its going in on monday. :angryfire:
OMG, I can only imagine how much she was freaking out over the truck rolling away with your 1 yr old in it! That is so ridiculously dangerous! I really hope they are able to come up with a fix for you. You certainly can't have an Acadia that has a mind of it's own to roll away with your kids in tow. I would have totally freaked.

·
Registered
263 Posts
tldyck said:
OMG, my heart just jumped...that is such a terrible feeling! I've kind of done that....only mine was operator error. I put my car in reverse while my daughter opened the gate, then my dog saw another dog and bolted out the gate, so i jumped out and ran after the dog not realizing the car was still in reverse...it idled all the way acrossed the street. What an awful feeling either way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted to ask what happened with this situation. My gear shift is doing the EXACT same thing and the dealership told me the EXACT same thing. I can fix it at my cost. I do not drink sugary drinks and my child, sits in the back seat so I know his juice isnt the culprit. I was hoping for some guidance and found this forum. Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
This has happened to me once. The Acadia was on a slight incline and There was a slight resistance when shifting from Park to Drive. It must be a trannys issue and this has to be a GM thing... I've had Honda's, Toyotas, MBZ, & Bimmers. None of which did this..

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I don't know if this applies, but when your parking on a slight grade, set the parking brake first, then shift to park. that may help the tranny from holding all that weight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have an 07 with about 45000km and we have had some shifter issues. About a month after we had it the shifter was stiff so we took it in & they lubed up the linkage & shifter. It worked fine until just before this last Christmas when it would not release out of park. I reached under the hood & manually shifted into gear(after applying the park brake) & drove to the dealer. They replaced the shifter assembly under warranty, but it was short lived. The next day there must have been some moisture in the shift cable & with our -30 degree C weather it was very stiff. In my attempt to get it into gear I broke the shifter. The tow truck took it away & they replaced the bracket, base & cable, all under warranty. It has worked good ever since.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, you should always set the parking brake and then shift to P when parking on any kind of hill. This will allow most of the vehicle weight to be absorbed by the brakes than the trans. I know this was mentioned earlier, but with all of the cars I've owned I have had this same sort of issue. I lived and drove in San Francisco and some of those streets are very steep (20+ percent incline!) This is is no way an explanation for a vehicle rolling back on it's own because that is a definite failure somewhere, my advice is for trans and vehicles without any malfunctions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts