GMC Acadia Forum banner

What wipe of gas do you put in your Acadia?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Agree with MI-Acadia. Top tier gas only, regular oil changes.
GMC manual states the same. And if no top tier fuel available in your country, to add (Delco) fuel additive every oil change.

In my area SAMS is as top tier as I use. Do they have "Top Tier" gas? What is "Top Tier" gas? It it that gas sold by stations that are 20 to 30 cents higher than others?

We only have one terminal in our area to which the barges deliver fuel. All stations (regardless of brand) get from the same tanks at this terminal.

George

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Today the Murphy station here has a sign that read Ethanol Free was $1.99. I better get some in my lawn can.

George

·
Super Moderator
20,262 Posts

·
Registered
2020 - Summit White / Cocoa/Light Ash Gray Interior
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I just make sure to burn only TopTier fuels. More detergent content than what is mandated by 'big brother'. Also, regular oil changes with quality products.

Thanks for that info! I did my 2nd fill up. I tried 93 the first time and it was ok drive but I expected something better I guess. 2nd fill up I used Wawa’s ethanol free gas. Seems to burn slower and nicer acceleration performance so far. It’s an 89. It just be in my mind but I felt like it was a bit sluggish on the 93 I originally tried.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Our old mini van was Flex fuel. Not that it ever got anything other than 87
Flex Fuel isn't octane based. It allows for fuel up to E85.

·
Registered
324 Posts
...It just be in my mind but I felt like it was a bit sluggish on the 93 I originally tried.
It may very well have been. Higher octane fuels are more resistant to ignition (hence their 'anti-knock' characteristics) so the flame front after ignition could be slower than the engine timing was designed for resulting is less torque/HP. Modern computer controlled ignition systems can dynamically adjust timing to achieve optimal performance but there's a limit as to how much adjustment is possible.

Read the AAA articles I posted links to above (if you haven't already) and you'll see some vehicles had a reduction in performance and efficiency when burning higher octane gas. A previous study done some years earlier (I can't find a link to that one) showed the same variances using a different set of test vehicles.

Bottom line is, unless there's extenuating circumstances, if you're using higher octane than what the engine requires you're just burning up extra money and blowing it out the tailpipe and getting nothing in return - or at least not enough performance gain to offset the increase cost.

I previously owned a turbo-4 Acura that required 87 octane but recommended 91 or higher for 'optimal performance'. While there was a lab measured performance increase (and with my 'seat of the pants' dynamometer) it was no where near being able to justify the 70 cent a gallon cost increase.

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
737 Posts
It may very well have been. Higher octane fuels are more resistant to ignition (hence their 'anti-knock' characteristics) so the flame front after ignition could be slower than the engine timing was designed for resulting is less torque/HP. Modern computer controlled ignition systems can dynamically adjust timing to achieve optimal performance but there's a limit as to how much adjustment is possible.

Read the AAA articles I posted links to above (if you haven't already) and you'll see some vehicles had a reduction in performance and efficiency when burning higher octane gas. A previous study done some years earlier (I can't find a link to that one) showed the same variances using a different set of test vehicles.

Bottom line is, unless there's extenuating circumstances, if you're using higher octane than what the engine requires you're just burning up extra money and blowing it out the tailpipe and getting nothing in return - or at least not enough performance gain to offset the increase cost.

I previously owned a turbo-4 Acura that required 87 octane but recommended 91 or higher for 'optimal performance'. While there was a lab measured performance increase (and with my 'seat of the pants' dynamometer) it was no where near being able to justify the 70 cent a gallon cost increase.
Very well said! Am I right in that switching to 87/89 octane is the wisest choice? What about fuel system cleaners??

·
Registered
324 Posts
...Am I right in that switching to 87/89 octane is the wisest choice?...
87 will be fine - 89 will likely be a waste of money, just not as much as 91/93. If you can find ethanol-free gas (E0) you should realize some performance gain but, like buying premium gas, it may not be enough to justify the price increase.

...What about fuel system cleaners??
Stick with Top Tier fuels and they shouldn't be needed at all.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Flex Fuel isn't octane based. It allows for fuel up to E85.
Yes, I just meant it never had anything in the tank other than standard 87 (E10).

Reactions: Jeff95TA

·
Registered
737 Posts
87 will be fine - 89 will likely be a waste of money, just not as much as 91/93. If you can find ethanol-free gas (E0) you should realize some performance gain but, like buying premium gas, it may not be enough to justify the price increase.

Stick with Top Tier fuels and they shouldn't be needed at all.
Thanks! I have been using 91 and a fuel system cleaner every 10 or so tanks. I will switch to the E0 gas and report back and let you know what happens as far as performance goes.

·
Super Moderator
20,262 Posts
Thanks! I have been using 91 and a fuel system cleaner every 10 or so tanks. I will switch to the E0 gas and report back and let you know what happens as far as performance goes.
SMO, Besche, and Gott would like to thank you for your contributions to their profit margins. LOL

Reactions: Jmbjr0930

·
Registered
737 Posts
SMO, Besche, and Gott would like to thank you for your contributions to their profit margins. LOL
I am sure they would....me and every other sucker!!!

·
Super Moderator
20,262 Posts
I am sure they would....me and every other sucker!!!
Y'all helped keep me in business during station rebuilds, spill problems, etc. I was one of their preferred consultants on leaking underground storage tank (LUST) and other petroleum contamination issues before I retired. :)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Y'all helped keep me in business during station rebuilds, spill problems, etc. I was one of their preferred consultants on leaking underground storage tank (LUST) and other petroleum contamination issues before I retired. :)
As a property developer i had to deal with underground tanks on several projects. One that comes to mind was government tanks that were in the way of the 395 expansion. We had leased a building and the parking lot to them and the buried fuel tanks and used the space for experiments on animals. I had to disassemble the incinerator years later. Ugh. The fuel tanks leaked and it was hilarious how quickly the EPA came in a absolved them of any wrong doing and locked us out while they cleaned it up. How long ago were you still on the job? This was at 495/395. Shirley Industrial Center.

·
Super Moderator
20,262 Posts
I worked on UST/LUST projects in the eastern U.S. from 1989 to 2009.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I worked on UST/LUST projects in the eastern U.S. from 1989 to 2009.
Roger that! My company did many a gas station in our shopping centers. All of which are it the Northern VA, Montgomery County, MD, Charleston, SC and Nashville, TN. Would be funny if we crossed paths In the field.

·
Super Moderator
20,262 Posts
Roger that! My company did many a gas station in our shopping centers. All of which are it the Northern VA, Montgomery County, MD, Charleston, SC and Nashville, TN. Would be funny if we crossed paths In the field.
I'm positive you bought gas at quite a few of my project sites so maybe we did. ;)

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm positive you bought gas at quite a few of my project sites so maybe we did. ;)
If thats the case I am just as positive that you have purchased groceries at one of the shopping centers I helped develop over the years!! So I would like to thank you for helping increase our profit margins as well!!! ;)

Reactions: speleos

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question is: Why would you not use what's recommended by the folks who designed and engineered the vehicle? Makes no sense at all from either a performance perspective (HP gain vs fuel $ increase) or economic perspective (MPG gain vs fuel $ increase).

The same brilliant folks who designed and engineered the Acadia’s transmission?

Examining the use of premium fuels based simply on their octane rating and mfg recommendations is an oversimplification. The reasons are far to many to list and substantiate.
But the most obvious advantage of most premium fuels, are the “premium” detergents that are contained in the “premium” fuel.

Pay now or pay latter if you subject your vehicle to anything but the most benign driving.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts