GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just filled up at a gas station and noticed that there was a sticker on the pump that said it contained 10% ethanol. I konw that the vehicle was not designed to run on ethanol, but does anyone know if using fuel with 10% ethanol will harm the vehicle in any way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should be ok. I think the EPA mandates the use of oxygenated additives in areas with certain emissions standards. The 10% ethanol blend seems to be a common way to meet this requirement.

While I do not have an owner's manual (yet), you might check yours to see if GMC notes that up to a 10% blend is acceptable. I think most if not all car makers include this language now.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe that the pump said it was oxygenated from Oct thru April but it also said that it contained ethanol. I don't know if the oxygenation is achieved from the ethanol or if there is another additive for that.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I do not think that it is mention somewhere in the manual about an acceptable % blend of ethanol.
Most of the gas stations here have stickers: "up to 10% Ethanol".
I do not have problem filling up with the blends. I do remember someone mention about getting better MPG on pure gasoline..no ethanol at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Up to 10% is OK, but no more.

Yes, you will get better gas mileage with all gasoline because less energy can be extracted from ethanol, however ethanol acts as a detergent, helps with small amounts of water (like condensation) and raises octane levels (if needed), so some is good to have.

·
Registered
35 Posts
10% ethanol in gasoline has been in common use in the Midwest for at least 20yrs now. We used to have some problems with vapor lock in cars with carbuators back when it started but using 10% ethanol is and has been standard...no problems. I'd say 100% of the gas stations out here sell it including the majors. E85 is now becoming avail but it takes vehicles specially setup to use it....the Lamdas are not setup for E85 yet (85% ethanol)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Living in Wisconsin, we have both with Ethenol and NO Ethenol. Southeastern WI is mandated with 10% ethanol.
We do have service stations in my area that have both. One should avoid those stations with Ethenol as you will get 2-3 mpg less and is proven to be MORE polutant and uses way MORE energy to make, without going into details. Happy mpg to all!

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just filled up our SV6 today and all of the pumps also had a sticker that said the gas may contain up to 10% Ethanol as well. I don't know if it was there for a while or I just noticed it today, but I think it was put up recently.

·
Registered
200 Posts
We run 10% Ethanol in Denver during the summer months. I noticed a dramatic reduction in summertime MPG on a '91 Storm I used to own, but on my '99 Chrysler Concorde, I don't notice a reduction at all in MPG.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
In my area, 89 octane E10 is available at about every gas station alongside 87 octane regular unleaded and 91 octane premium. On my last 2 vehicles ('97 Grand Caravan and '01 Pathfinder) I've run both the E10 and regular unleaded and noticed only about 1/2 to 1 MPG difference. In my area E10 is typically a dime cheaper than regular unleaded, so it ends up being about a wash.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This was the first time that I noticed the label on the pump indicating that it contained ethanol so I can't really comment on whether there is any difference in the mileage I get. I'm sure that I will pay more attention next time I get gas.

·
Registered
164 Posts
In this neck of the woods just about all the mid grade gas has 10% ethanol and is generally the same price as 87 octane or 5 cents cheaper. Most of the people I know say the mileage does tail off with the 10% ethanol with the 89 octane gas over 87 octane regular unleaded. It's 87 for me...my mileage is poor enough the way it is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A couple years ago in Colorado, oxygenated gas (10% ethanol) used to only be used in the winter to help reduce pollution. So, every year we saw the difference between ethanol-gas and whatever was "normal-gas". Mileage reduced by about 13-15% with 10% ethanol. Responsiveness was less as well.

Of course, now we have 10% ethanol all the time as others have described. Mileage never has gone back up like it used to do in the spring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts