GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was driving our Acadia when it suddenly dies last week. The gas guage said 1/2 of fuel. We tow it to the dealership and they say that the baffles inside of the gas tank have come lose and rubbed up against the fuel sending unit. This pegged it at 1/2 tank when it was actually empty.

Has anyone else had the same issue? It seems like it is a manufacturing mistake and could have affected other gas tanks. It will take 3 to 5 days for it to arrive and get installed.

Thanks
John :-\

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I think you are the first to have a bad gas tank; time will tell if this is a manufacturing defect

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I did a search on "fuel tank" and didn't come up with anything that was similar to the issue you're experiencing. This was the only relevant thread I found:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=497.0

Maybe your wife was out four-wheelin' with the Acadia and knocked the fuel tank around a bit. ;) In all seriousness, hopefully it's one of those things you're only going to have to get fixed once and never be bothered with again.

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
xseler said:
Hope that you're still under warranty! My wife split the fuel tank in the Acadia (she still won't admit to what she ran over)---the part alone was over $900. For a plastic tank!! Good luck with your repair.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2822.0
Plastic? You're saying the outside of the tank is plastic? Not a metal outer shell with a inner plastic bladder

·
Registered
294 Posts
jsimms said:
xseler said:
Hope that you're still under warranty! My wife split the fuel tank in the Acadia (she still won't admit to what she ran over)---the part alone was over $900. For a plastic tank!! Good luck with your repair.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2822.0
Plastic? You're saying the outside of the tank is plastic? Not a metal outer shell with a inner plastic bladder

Tis plastic --- no metal at all, except part of the fuel pump assembly.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Interesting; could you image the weight increase of a metal tank plus a full load of gas :(

EDIT: 1 gallon of gasoline equals 5.8 to 6.5 lbs.

Let's go with 6lbs; my Acadia holds 22 gallons; ...................*doing math, stand by*....................

That equals 132 lbs of fuel alone; I can see why GM thought of a plastic fuel tank (weight savings), but at 900 dollars; that's expensive

·
Registered
294 Posts
jsimms said:
Interesting; could you image the weight increase of a metal tank plus a full load of gas :(

EDIT: 1 gallon of gasoline equals 5.8 to 6.5 lbs.

Let's go with 6lbs; my Acadia holds 22 gallons; ...................*doing math, stand by*....................

That equals 132 lbs of fuel alone; I can see why GM thought of a plastic fuel tank (weight savings), but at 900 dollars; that's expensive

Yeah, considering the cost of the replacement, I toyed with the idea of repairing the slice. However, with it being 8 inches long, I felt that there was too much possibility for 'flex' that would weaken the repair.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I feel the same; the size of the cut prohibits a repair (IMO), I would have replaced it as well

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gas Tank Needs Replacing / Gas Line

So I haven't had the problem of the gas tank needing replacing, but I've had it where I've parked my Acadia in my driveway, which has a significant incline, on a 1/4 tank of gas, and had the thing not start... The only way I got it started was letting it coast down the driveway (into the street mind you) and then running the starter motor more than I would have liked and then it fired right up...

Anyone know if the gas line is connected to the front, if your getting your tank replaced, maybe you'd know?

I would think that this would be a BAD design, we have hills here you know... just like the rest of the country, I'd hate to think someone didn't design for an incline - imagine if I was at speed? - There is some debate regarding if this truly was a risk while driving, given the tank would likely be under pressure, the fuel pump would be working, etc etc (where as mine sat that way overnight - 1 night only though from ~6:00 pm to 7:30 am the next morning).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Re: Gas Tank Needs Replacing / Gas Line

Numbers said:
So I haven't had the problem of the gas tank needing replacing, but I've had it where I've parked my Acadia in my driveway, which has a significant incline, on a 1/4 tank of gas, and had the thing not start... The only way I got it started was letting it coast down the driveway (into the street mind you) and then running the starter motor more than I would have liked and then it fired right up...

Anyone know if the gas line is connected to the front, if your getting your tank replaced, maybe you'd know?

I would think that this would be a BAD design, we have hills here you know... just like the rest of the country, I'd hate to think someone didn't design for an incline - imagine if I was at speed? - There is some debate regarding if this truly was a risk while driving, given the tank would likely be under pressure, the fuel pump would be working, etc etc (where as mine sat that way overnight - 1 night only though from ~6:00 pm to 7:30 am the next morning).

Any ideas?

These tanks are very long and narrow. The fuel pump is about in the middle of the tank. Most paved roads aren't as steep as some driveways, so this usually is not an issue.

If this situation ever happens to you again, just turn the key on without hitting the starter. This will activate the fuel pump to pressurize the system without putting unneeded stress on your starter motor. Start it when the fuel pump shuts off (you can usually hear it run).

By the way, welcome to the forum --- lots of friendly, helpful folks on here!

Mark

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Numbers: I haven't had that happen yet with my Acadia, but I had it happen a few times to my '95 Jimmy while I had it. Seems to be a GM design thing. I used the same solution you did,and I learned to not park with the nose downhill (I think I have the direction right; correct me if I'm wrong) if the fuel level is too low and I also try to not let the tank get that close to empty.

And welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
540 Posts
dodgepolara500 said:
My wife was driving our Acadia when it suddenly dies last week. The gas guage said 1/2 of fuel. We tow it to the dealership and they say that the baffles inside of the gas tank have come lose and rubbed up against the fuel sending unit. This pegged it at 1/2 tank when it was actually empty.

Has anyone else had the same issue? It seems like it is a manufacturing mistake and could have affected other gas tanks. It will take 3 to 5 days for it to arrive and get installed.

Thanks
John :-\
Loose fuel tank baffles were common in the late 80's. Theses were metal tank with plastic baffles held in by spring clips. The clips were replaced with self threading nuts for the fix. The fuel pump and sending unit were replaced. I thought the new plastic tank were a molded so I wonder if the baffle was misformed . I would like to see that tank. The plastic tank also have another problem. You can drill them without danger of an explosion. The higher vehicle like pickup were having their tanks drilled and the fuel removed when the gas prices spiked last summer.

Bobby

1 - 13 of 13 Posts