GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is $4 gas causing any potential Acadia buyers to reconsider? Or are buyers looking at the lambdas rather than other less-efficient vehicles?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Just a hunch, but I would guess that the number of potential truck-based SUV buyers switching to crossovers equals or exceeds the number of potential crossover buyers switching to sedans or minivans. I think the big losers are the truck-based SUVs and large pick-up trucks, and this is clearly demonstrated in recent sales numbers.

I think I would buy the same vehicle again today. The overall functionality of the Acadia outweighs the below average initial quality I've experienced with the vehicle. Gas prices are one reason I was happy that GM built a big crossover in the first place.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, it did make me reconsider getting an Acadia. But then I looked around at the V6 sedans and also the 4 cylinder SUVs such as the CRV and the Rav4 and I found that they didn't get that much better gas mileage. So when I took into account all the features that the Acadia has, and the payload, I decided that I would still order the '09 that I was wanting.

Maybe I should make this question a new thread, but I would also like to know if there are any owners that regret buying their Acadia because of the gas mileage, and wish they had bought something else.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not reconsidering my purchase. My Outlook really is the best option for me when I haul people or gear around. Even when I'm driving by myself the gas mileage is OK considering the ride comfort I get. In the metro Detroit area Dodge is advertising a V-6 Charger that gets 21mpg combined. I get that with my Outlook.

If prices get out of hand I might consider buying a second car. Unfortunately, I'm not interested in any of the compact vehicles we have in the states.

I was in Toronto and my Outlook was huge compared to most other cars there. I saw a lot of these Mercedes B-Class cars - looks interesting:
http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cfm?ID=2921

I'd also look at this Chevy Tornado:
http://www.chevrolet.com.mx/content_data/LAAM/MX/es/GMMGM/showroom/chevrolet/modelos/tornado/diseno.html

Or this Astra Wagon:
http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=26013

·
Registered
65 Posts
Gas prices was the biggest reason that I purchased an Acadia, I was driving a Silverado 3/4 ton 4-door pickup, which got about 10-12 mpg, I was considering a Tahoe, my dad beat me to buying one, and his mileage wasnt much better than my pickup. I need the cab space, and the Acadia fits the bill perfect with good mileage to boot.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
In short....no.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There is no better option to carry more than 5 people in comfort with sufficient room for cargo, imo. So, also in short, no. ;D

·
Registered
54 Posts
No second guessing here. I love seeing this car in the garage and aside from the battery dying event, I would do it all over again. I also have a 2004 F150 with the 4.6 engine and it gets about 18mpg combined.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes. I was on the verge of replacing my minivan with an Acadia. But the Acadia gets the same mileage as my 8 year old Honda Odyssey. Come on!

GM is not alone in this - there is no decent sized people hauler I have found that gets better than about 17/25 (except the Highlander Hybrid, which is not as spacious as an Acadia and doesn't have a split 3rd row - a deal killer for me).

Until someone comes out with a 7-8 person people hauler with reasonable legroom, good storage behind the rear seat, a split 3rd row, and mileage of at least 21/28, I will keep my old Honda.

GM can do it if they just get off the dime and get the BAS hybrid in production on the Acadia.

Also - if you answered "No" to this question, you might ask yourself how you will answer in a year or two when gas is $5, $6, or $7 a gallon.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
MtnBiker said:
Also - if you answered "No" to this question, you might ask yourself how you will answer in a year or two when gas is $5, $6, or $7 a gallon.
At $10/gallon, my answer would still be no.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I agree that the cost of gas per gallon would not change my mind. When I bought the Acadia, I first looked at my needs, and then picked the car the best met them. I'm a tight wad and even if gas was only $1 per gallon I would still consider what gets the best gas mileage. And the Acadia won hands down for its size and capability.

As a matter of fact, the higher the prices go, the more reason there would be to pick the best mpg in what you need.

I just did a quick poke at edmunds and did a comparison. The link is below.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edm...100962592&maxvehicles=5&refid=&op=3&tab=specs

Of course, if someone bought way more car than they needed, and could have gotten away with a smaller car, then that might have been a reason to not get the Acadia because of gas prices.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My answer would still be no also, if gas was that big of an issue for me I would have not bought an Acadia to begin with. As I need the room and the AWD.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well maybe not "reconsider"... it's the best car that meets our needs (one of which is decent fuel economy). That being said whenever we see a news report about high gas prices we do cringe a little.

Plus I figure that if I can get a Volt in '10 the two cars will balance each other out. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
In short....no.
:ditto: If we still had our Odyssey and were looking to replace it, we would settle on the Acadia again. We got tired of the minivan thing but still needed the space and people hauling capabilities. A less fuel efficient body-on-frame SUV was not necessary since we don't do any off-roading and we have my truck for when we need to tow. Besides, $4 (or higher) gas is not a huge factor for us as we just don't have to cover that many miles living in a small town.

·
Registered
54 Posts
MtnBiker said:
I still would buy the Acadia. Better all around vehicle than any current hybrid and from what I can see from some of the future car models coming out, I would rather have the Acadia than those tin cans.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was thinking about the GMC Yukon Hybrid...was not out when I bought the Acadia.
Last fill up was $1.297 per liter or $4.92 per gallon (Can) equillivant to $4.81 (US) using todays exchange rate of .98 to 1

I knew $ of gas was going up when I bought the Acadia and had similar gas milage as the Yukon Hybrid.

I would still buy the Acadia on higher cost of gas, as it`s not too bad on gas for me (average 20 mpg).

You wonder why people in Acadia (Canada) typically have smaller cars...government takes a good chunk in taxes vs US.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I find myself thinking more and more about the Highland Hybrid as gas prices edge up. I'm also worried about the resale value of the Acadia if most of the new stuff on the market in 4 years ends up being hybrid.

·
Registered
152 Posts
toasteroven said:
There is no better option to carry more than 5 people in comfort with sufficient room for cargo, imo. So, also in short, no. ;D

I am in 100% agreement with this post. We bought the acadia to meet our needs for utility, safety and
array of features. AND IT HAS DELIVERED!! Mpg was also a factor and this CUV gets best in class...
We stepped up from a midsize SUV we had outgrown and the mpg is much better with the fullsize
acadia...so we have already benefitted $$.

My answer a resounding NO ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
At $10/gallon, my answer would still be no.
[/quote]
This is not meant as a personal attack, but wake up and smell the fumes man. This is precisely why we are now in an incredibly perilous situation in this country at the moment. Folks can't see past the end of their noses and recognize the economic, national security, and environmental implications of their lifestyle choices.

We import 60% of our oil in the U.S. During the 1974 oil embargo we imported about 35%. We ship $600 billion annually out of the country to some of the the world's worst regimes (Saudi Arabia, Russia, Iran, and Venezuela) -- all of whom would love to see us killed. Every tankful you pump puts about $50 in the pockets of terrorists, thugs, and dictators. We spend another $100 per tank in indirect taxes securing our oil through military deployments.

This is a formula for disaster. We truly are idiots in this country if we can't see the reality of our situation and change things soon.

I know some people (hopefully most who buy an Acadia) need a big people hauler. But I cringe at the sight of new SUVs and CUVs with brand new dealer tags. My advice is hang on to what you have until the more efficient vehicles begin hitting the market en mass in the next 1-3 years. Besides, as gas pushes to $6 and $7 a gallon, your $35k Acadia's resale is going to be less than a $10k "Smart Car".

·
Registered
74 Posts
gmc4me said:
Is $4 gas causing any potential Acadia buyers to reconsider? Or are buyers looking at the lambdas rather than other less-efficient vehicles?
No, in fact $4/gal gas reminds me that my Acadia gets 50% better mileage than my last ride (V8 Mountaineer, 12mpg). We got the first Acadia to hit the dealer lot last year, and we keep seeing more and more of them. There are and will always be people who need the capacity of a large vehicle, and right now lots of them seem to be getting into Acadias. In fact, directly across the street from the Buick/GMC dealer is a Saturn dealer, and none of the Acadia/Enclave/Outlook cousins sit on the lot very long.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts