GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand New 2019 Acadia SLT V6 AWD Black Edition, only has 982miles on it, i bought it with 55miles. I’ve noticed the MPG (city) is terrible. I’m only getting like 10mpg, but it’s suppose to get 17mpg (city). Can anyone tell me why

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
How are you measuring your MPG. I have an '18 V6 and get 20-21 around town and 32-34 on the highway.

If you are truly only getting 10 MPG you need to drop it off at the dealer and have them check it out, something is clearly not right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m measuring my MPG by what the Little screen in the dash tells me. Like I said it’s basically brand new only has 982 miles on it. Does it take time/miles for the computer to read it correctly or something?

·
Super Moderator
18,836 Posts
The display should read correctly right off. There's no 'break-in period' for electronics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also this is just driving around my town and driving to and from work. I live like 5-8mins from work. But on the Highway I’m getting like 25mpg

·
Registered
506 Posts
Short trips and cold starts 2 or more times a day will ding MPG. If either applies to your driving conditions MPG will not be close to GM stated averages.
Also, letting the engine idle for minutes and stopping at drive throughs with engine running will ding MPG a lot.

If old gasoline sat in the tank for months while on the car lot it could be bad fuel.
To get the best idea of MPG a 150 or 200 mile trip starting with a fill up and then a refill and hand calculate MPG would give a better idea of MPG.

·
Registered
506 Posts
also this is just driving around my town and driving to and from work. I live like 5-8mins from work. But on the Highway I’m getting like 25mpg
There's your answer. Your Acadia isn't even warmed up much in 5 to 8 minutes.
Even in a 20 minute drive MPG would not be optimum.
My wife drives just over 5 miles to work and her MPG is lower and especially during winter even in her economy car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You didn't mention if you use remote start or not, but if you do even a couple minutes of idle running combined with short trips will destroy mileage.

·
Super Moderator
18,836 Posts
also this is just driving around my town and driving to and from work. I live like 5-8mins from work. ...
If you spend more time stopped (with the engine running) than going, you'll never get close to the EPA estimate for city fuel economy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I figured it out. I went to lunch around 11am before I started my drive home I reset the Trip screen. Driving home and back to work I was at 16mpg. Before I went back into work I sat in the car for a few mins and noticed that the MPG was dropping .01 like every 5-10 seconds just from idling.
Yes also I use the Automatic Start a lot

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think I figured it out. I went to lunch around 11am before I started my drive home I reset the Trip screen. Driving home and back to work I was at 16mpg. Before I went back into work I sat in the car for a few mins and noticed that the MPG was dropping .01 like every 5-10 seconds just from idling.
Yes also I use the Automatic Start a lot
Resetting the trip screen to often will also likely deliver a lower average MPG. It's best to reset the MPG when you fill up for the week and see what you get then after the next fill up.
The more stops, idling and short trips you do the less average MPG will be.
So . . try just resetting only at fill up time and drive the vehicle till at least down to 1/4 tank before refilling and see what MPG results.
That may give you a better idea of actual average MPG for your driving style and conditions. Also, you can hand calculate Miles/Gallons= MPG and compare with what the dash MPG displays.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a brand New 2019 Acadia SLT V6 AWD Black Edition, only has 982miles on it, i bought it with 55miles. I’ve noticed the MPG (city) is terrible. I’m only getting like 10mpg, but it’s suppose to get 17mpg (city). Can anyone tell me why
10 is horrible. Like the post below, my city MGP is closer to 20. I have noticed that the AWD mode costs about 2 MPG in the city, but has no discernible impact on highway MPG. ...... Is the MPG on your A and B trip odometers different. I use A for tank MPG and B for Trip MPG.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I never believe the electronic readout until I have verified it by manual calculation. This takes at least 3 fillups to help offset variations in auto stop when filling.

George

·
Registered
506 Posts
Agree. I have been doing hand calculation for MPG for years as a habit. So is good to compare and verify to the DIC reading. Usually in the vehicles we've had for the past 20 years the DIC has been within 1/2 to 1 MPG of calculated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts