GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently towed a 6x12 uhaul trailer from Seattle to Sacramento and I'm impressed by the power and ease the Acadia had but not with the mileage. Said I was getting 15 mpg. I literally watched my needle move.

·
Super Moderator
19,055 Posts
What did you expect for fuel economy? That's not exactly a flat, downwind drive!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was shocked. Maybe because I was used to my '05 Saturn Vue getting 20 while towing. But, my Saturn was a lot lighter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lol. I’ve been averaging 20mpg doing 75mph on cruise from Jacksonville, FL up to Charlotte, NC and back. 400 miles one way. Two adults, 2 small kids and a full trunk of bags of clothes.

Tires @ 35psi cold.

Unless I drop my cruising speed, I don’t see the gas mileage getting better. I’ve done this trip many times now. Same mpg average.

2013 Denali.

I think the OP did ok towing a trailer. Sure it’s terrible gas mileage but not bad for what this car is rated for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like I said earlier, I was used to my Saturn Vue getting better mileage but in thinking about it, I normally get 20-23 at 70mph. So I guess 15 with a trailer is pretty good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Towing isn't about fuel mileage. It's about getting the job done when the wimps like the Prius's and CRV's can't tow more than a hot dog cart. 6 x 12 is not a small trailer and it has to move a good chunk of wind out of its way, in addition to it's weight. What speed were you going? for every mile above 60mph, you burn 2 % more fuel.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Like I said earlier, I was used to my Saturn Vue getting better mileage but in thinking about it, I normally get 20-23 at 70mph. So I guess 15 with a trailer is pretty good.
Fuel consumption takes a huge hit on the Acadia while towing. I've found it gets a little better if you put it in 'L' and select 4th gear (uses only 1st thru 4th gears) for most towing and into L5 for freeway driving. Never into 6th as the engine is struggling to make power with such a high gear ratio and uses a lot of fuel and creates a lot of heat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently did a camping trip with a 3000 lb Palomino 18 ft travel trailer. While doing 60 mph on the highway, I got a consistent average of 17.5 mpg. I think that's pretty good, and it had all the power i could ever need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts