GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have GMC brand brake and gas pedal upgrade pads to try to install on my 19 Arcadia. I got the gas one done, but it was a *****.
These are very stiff grade rubber. Anybody done this successfully ? Any suggestions for the Brake pad ?
Thanks, Mike M.

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
Warm up the rubber with a hair dryer or heat gun. That should make it more pliable.

Reactions: cslump

·
Registered
57 Posts
Oven on low heat for a few minutes?

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
Reactions: cslump and jdstarns

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I have GMC brand brake and gas pedal upgrade pads to try to install on my 19 Arcadia. I got the gas one done, but it was a *.
These are very stiff grade rubber. Anybody done this successfully ? Any suggestions for the Brake pad ?
Thanks, Mike M.
I’ve tried the hair dryer thing - no go.
I’ll give the oven a try.
When I say the rubber is stiff, it’s an understatement.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Do you have a picture or link to these pedals?

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
Reactions: cslump and Grantv

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You could immerse them in hot water, too.
I like this idea much more than an oven, just don't like the idea of heating up the material in open air in an oven.
Pedals look nice.

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
If all else fails, drill the pad and pedal, then attach the pad to the pedal with some reasonably-sized self tapping screws (countersink screws would be best). Don't glue them together if you're ever going to change the pedal covers again.

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
Might actually need to be boiling water....that has to soften it up.
No longer than 3 minutes or the yolk gets hard. 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
String? Like they do when installing a windshield? Insert heavy twine inside the pad, place the pad onto/over one or two pedal edges as much as you can then start pulling the string out to roll the lip of the pad over the remaining pedal edges. I saw a YouTube video where a guy pried the edges of a Mercedes brake pad (that looked very much like the one in your pic) over the pedal just using his fingers...didn't look that hard. Maybe you could use a smallish screwdriver or other tool to pry the edges of the pad over the pedal? Good luck! Post back here how you finally did it!

·
Super Moderator
20,846 Posts
Something in a trim tool kit would probably work. Pedal covers are part of a vehicle's interior trim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited by Moderator)
String? Like they do when installing a windshield? Insert heavy twine inside the pad, place the pad onto/over one or two pedal edges as much as you can then start pulling the string out to roll the lip of the pad over the remaining pedal edges. I saw a YouTube video where a guy pried the edges of a Mercedes brake pad (that looked very much like the one in your pic) over the pedal just using his fingers...didn't look that hard. Maybe you could use a smallish screwdriver or other tool to pry the edges of the pad over the pedal? Good luck! Post back here how you finally did it!
Believe me, there is no easy rolling of this rubber edge.
I tore up my fingers getting the accelerator cover on - blood blisters on two fingertips.
I’ve tried everything suggested except heating in water in a pan. Next time I’m near GMC dealer I’m going to ask one of the mechanics to see if they’ve been through it, or have a suggestion.
Way over designed - should not be that difficult.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Could always take an angle grinder and make the pedal smaller.... :)
Thanks, that could work.
Have also considered cutting off edges of one end of the pad.
Maybe then it could be slid over from the opposite side.
It just shouldn’t be this difficult.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts