GMC Acadia Forum banner

What park assist technique are you using to assist in parking your Acadia in your garage?

• Tennis ball or rope

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Floor stop

• Wall mount park sensor

• Laser park assist

• Stop when I hit something

• Ultrasonic rear park assist

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Acadia is a big beast and I've been having trouble parking it in my garage because I can't tell how close I am to bumping things in front. I've been trying different park assist products and I've finally decided on the Genie Universal Laser Parking System.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00953947000P?keyword=genie+laser&sLevel=0

It activates when the garage door opener is activated instead of using motion sensing and so far is working great.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I back my Outlook into the garage. I watch for the emergency release cord on the garage door and when it's centered over the sunroof I'm parked. I have 3" in front and 3 feet behind allowing me to open the liftgate with room to spare. I also use the third row seat to center the Outlook into the garage door opening. I have a two car garage with two standard doors so the space is a little tight. Good thing I have the power folding mirrors.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Our Acadia shares a 16' door in a three car garage with my 07 Sierra. I use a tennis ball on a string. When lined up over the windshield washer and touching the windshield, I have 3' of space in front of the Acadia and room to open the doors beside the truck. The folding mirrors on both vehicles also make movement between the vehicles easier.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I back my Outlook into the garage (so I can use the power liftgate - I think that's a different poll :)) and I use the Ultrasonic Rear Park Assist to tell me when I should stop. I don't see that as an option in the poll.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I also use the Ultrasonic Rear Park Assist.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I took blue masking tape, taped across the back of the garage floor and the front of the garage floor the width and length of the Acadia, then I back in flipping the power mirrors down to see the tape and using the back up camera to see the tape. This gives me room to open the liftgate without hitting anything. If I just pull in, I can't open the liftgate without hitting the door opener, the Acadia is too tall. I must say I've become pretty good at backing into the garage, even find myself doing it when
I don't have anything to unload from the rear. This also allows me to get within 1" of side of door with the mirror.... practice makes perfect. ;D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would definitely recommend a laser assist parking system. I purchased one for $20.00 and it was well worth the money. It works great for judging the distance to pull your vehicle into a garage that does not have a lot of depth. The laser system is simple to install and requires nothing to be mounted to your vehicle. It works off batteries or plugs into a standard A/C oulet. I mounted mine on the ceiling of my garage and plugged it directly into a standard wall outlet next to my overhead garage door opener. The laser is far better then the ol' tennis ball trick which is a pain to have dangling in the middle of your garage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had trouble with judging the front end distance in the garage too. I put a cardboard box in front of the car that we use for recycling newspapers. I can tell when I nudge that I have gone too far without damaging the car. I used that for a month or two and now I know when to stop in the garage and don't need the box anymore.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I back mine in...if not, probably a mark on the side of the wall compared to the side window, etc. Even when I back up, when my chimney gets about 1/2 way on my passenger side window, I stop. If I want to push it, I can use the parking assist, but right after that, I hear the chirps and three lights.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I pull in forward mostly, when my head is even with a window frame I know I am in far enough. I have backed in when I have a lot of supplies to unload and want them close to the door to the house, I then have to make my best judgement, the park assist sensors do not really work well because of a shelf unit right behind the car, it judges the wall sometimes and not the shelf sticking out so I do not rely on the sensor when backing in.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Great topic and drew some laughs from reading others! Almost fell off my chair. We just pull in the garage and guest-a-mate both vehicles. I guess we don't have to be engineers with our outstanding depth perception. NO dings on both cars too! Been that way for many many years!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just judge the distance and have not hit anything. I have noticed that my driver side view mirror pretty much is lined up with the ladder I have hanging on the wall. I may just start parking it using the mirror/ladder technique. I don't see an option for that though ;D.

·
Registered
812 Posts
im using the "mountainbike-on-the-wall-sidemirror-alignment" technique....... so far no scratches!!!! ;D

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hey Sboden,

I also use the "ladder-on-the wall" technique. It works for me! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I use the remote sensor somewhat, but depend on the "line the mirror up with the crack in the drywall" method. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts