GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting my Acadia within a month....I hope. One of the things that wasn't tested is if the car will fit in my garage. I am not worried legthwise but a little worried about width and height. We have a 3 car garage, standard door size I would guess. I am confident we could get it in though we may need to fold the mirrors. Height I would estimate at 7 feet. I am wondering if those of you with standard garage spaces (9X20) have any issues with getting it in the garage. Also, do you have a problem with the rear gate hitting the garage door or opener above. I did a crude guess by remembering where I was reaching at the height of the open liftgate and comparing it to my garage opening. It looks like a squeeker. Would be a bummer if we had to unload groceries outside and then park the car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have 8' doors that actually provide a 93 1/2" clear opening and allows my Acadia entry. It aint something you wanna do at any great speed as it appears that there is 3" clearance on each side WITHOUT FOLDING THE MIRRORS.
My first attempt I folded the driver's side mirror as I was chicken. Now entry is a whole lot easier, even with mirrors extended.
My two car garage is approx. 20' x 20' and I cannot open the tail gate with the garage door down and the Acadia backed in. This is in part to a shelf, approx. 12" wide, that runs along the back wall of the garage. Its gonna be a problem come next winter or whenever its raining, as we travel regularly with the lots of material in the rear cargo area.

Just go slow forward and even slower backing out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It will fit. Unfortunately, I got careless twice already. A few weeks ago, I was backing out and not paying attention with my mirrors extended. I snaped the right side view mirror and the base cracked. The mirror still works, but I am concerned about the crack expanding and taking on water. I am having it replaced. So, I now always collapse the mirrors before entering the garage, and I don't extend them until I have backed out. Last week, I entered the garage too quickly and at a bad angle and I scraped the whole right side on the side of the garage door. It left an awful white paint mess on my beautiful Acadia. Fortunatelu, very little paint was take off the Acadia, just two very small spots on the trim. But, to remove the white garage door paint from the car, I used a somewhat abrasive sponge. Now, although you can't see white paint, it is clearly scratched up a bit. I'm thinking that a good buff and wax should clear that up. It's really only noticeable if you are looking for it, but it is clear to me and very upsetting. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a three car garage and park both our cars (Acadia and an Accord) in the two car garage door. Acadia fits fine but I park the acadia on the left side so I open my door into the wall. I have some door guards on teh wall to protect the drywall and the driver side doors. It tends to be a tight squeeze getting out on the driver side. Second thing you want to be careful of is opening the doors if there is a car parked next to the Acadia. The doors are big and really only have two open stats (half way and all the way open... it's favorite spot). Within three days of owning the Acadia the passenger front door opened up all the way and crashed into the side view mirror of my wife's accord. Two nice little dings just to the left of the door handle.
My lift-gate opens all the way with the garage door open. With the garage door closed, I can't really open it any amount that is useful to me. I miss the option of only opening the glass that I had on my Explorer... but that's the only thing I miss. OK... that and the keyless entry keypad on the driver door... but that's a different thread.

·
Registered
115 Posts
When you do get it into the garage just be careful of the liftgate. With the garage open the liftgate could hit the door leaving a ding in the liftgate. Keep that in mind. It's my biggest fear since we dinged a minivan we rented about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine fits in without pulling the side view mirrors in. I do have to put the drivers side door up against the wall to get out of the vehicle. The lift gate has enough room to go up with the garage door open. Even though, there is only about 1 inch to spare with the lift gate up.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I keep a nerf football in between my two garage doors, when the liftgate is going up I place it on the licence plate and it cushions the liftgate from hitting the garage door.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a single 18' wide door and one does have to be careful when the doors swing open not to hit the Highlander to the right, or the wall to the left.

To keep from scratching the liftgate, I removed the screws from the bottom inside door edge and re-inserted them thru Rubber Bumpers with a recess in the center that are normally used as rubber feet on things like a breadbox. However, I love the idea of the nurf football to protect the garage door's horizontal support, and I think I may just Hot-melt-glue one to the inside of the door for each car's liftgate. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
115 Posts
johnway said:
I keep a nerf football in between my two garage doors, when the liftgate is going up I place it on the licence plate and it cushions the liftgate from hitting the garage door.
Awesome idea! My son won't like it since he'll lose a football, but hey - whatever works! ;D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Drumr said:
I have a three car garage and park both our cars (Acadia and an Accord) in the two car garage door. Acadia fits fine but I park the acadia on the left side so I open my door into the wall. I have some door guards on teh wall to protect the drywall and the driver side doors. It tends to be a tight squeeze getting out on the driver side. Second thing you want to be careful of is opening the doors if there is a car parked next to the Acadia. The doors are big and really only have two open stats (half way and all the way open... it's favorite spot). Within three days of owning the Acadia the passenger front door opened up all the way and crashed into the side view mirror of my wife's accord. Two nice little dings just to the left of the door handle.
My lift-gate opens all the way with the garage door open. With the garage door closed, I can't really open it any amount that is useful to me. I miss the option of only opening the glass that I had on my Explorer... but that's the only thing I miss. OK... that and the keyless entry keypad on the driver door... but that's a different thread.
We discovered the same thing with the Acadia doors. We have a three car tandem garage. The Acadia is parked on the tandem side. It's been a month since we got the Acadia and still driving into the garage slowly. The GS goes in as far left as possible. Recently, we've been driving in at slight angles, like a "V", so that there is more space to open the Acadia door. Backing out, we just give the wheel a slight turn and go straight out.

When the liftgate is open all the way, we've got about an inch clearance at the garage door. Too close for comfort.

Great idea with the Nerf football!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've got an idea for the garage door - maybe putting some pipe insulation (the kind that looks like the padding on kids bicycle bars) on the frame of the Garage door where it's likely to hit. It's light weight and can probably be glued or drilled into the bars.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Would it be possible to see some pics of these ideas? I am trying to picture them, but I am doing the airhead thing and not grasping a few concepts. :tard: Seem like great ideas though!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
My husband shot down my idea, but since I regularly ignore him I may still do it. I can't promise pics any time soon though, but if I do find a solution I will post pics.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Boxermom.....I took your advice and bought 2 lengths of insulation for 1/2" copper pipe. This one even had a self-adhesive strip with a yellow-peel-off along the entire split. So I just needed to clean the horizontal support on the inside of the garage door well, then with a helper peeling the peel-off strip, I applied one of the 5 foot lengths to the door support.

I'll get a picture of those two 5' "bumpers" on my 18 foot single door later this week. You could buy an extra length if you want it to be uniform all the way across your door...they were only $1.29 ea. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have a double wide garage door and a single wide. I park the Acadia in the single slot and it fits fine, but you do have to watch the mirrors. As far as the liftgate, it will hit my garage door, so I used two sided tape and put a piece of styrofoam on the garage door where liftgate would come into contact with it. Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
bobboots said:
Boxermom.....I took your advice and bought 2 lengths of insulation for 1/2" copper pipe. This one even had a self-adhesive strip with a yellow-peel-off along the entire split. So I just needed to clean the horizontal support on the inside of the garage door well, then with a helper peeling the peel-off strip, I applied one of the 5 foot lengths to the door support.

I'll get a picture of those two 5' "bumpers" on my 18 foot single door later this week. You could buy an extra length if you want it to be uniform all the way across your door...they were only $1.29 ea. Thanks for the tip!
Great! That sounds like something I can do without the husband's help! Did you get it at the local hardware store? Please post pics when you can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
18' wide garage door. Garage dimensions are 21' x 21'. Have 1999 Ford Expedition and 2007 Acadia SLT-1.

Expedition is 4" longer and about the same width.

Both fit easy in the garage. I use the driver side mirror to allign with the Expedition when pulling in the garage. I do have a problem when the Expedition is not in the garage. I have to guess how far to pull up. Sometimes, the tail is sticking out an inch or two, thus have to pull it in a little bit more.

The doors on the passenger side open all the way. The driver side will have to lean on the Expedition doors.

Note, the Acadia makes my old Expedition look very old. ::)

·
Registered
681 Posts
GA Acadia SLT Owner said:
Both fit easy in the garage. I use the driver side mirror to allign with the Expedition when pulling in the garage. I do have a problem when the Expedition is not in the garage. I have to guess how far to pull up. Sometimes, the tail is sticking out an inch or two, thus have to pull it in a little bit more.
SLT Owner,

You can hang a tennis ball or golf ball on a string attached to the ceiling, when the windshield hits the (taps) the ball you are in foar enough. I have even seen special foam balls that are sold at Lowes in the Garage Opener section that will do this same thing, but why pay that kind of money when you can get the same effect with an old tennis ball. :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Normal sized 2 car garage. Unfortunately I have the solid door and not a roll up style. Because of that the antennae was too tall to clear the door. Therefore I removed the antennae. As it is only useful for am/fm it has not caused any love loss. I use only XM or CD's. I also have not had any issues using onstar. It is a smaller garage and with shelves on the driver side I have to be careful. It is a tight fit sometimes getting in and out. If the door was a roll up type I would have no problem. It would give me the extra 2 inches I need to keep the antennae intact.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My garage is a two-car with single double-wide door. It's a standard size. With all the kids bikes and things in the garage we don't bother trying to fit two cars in, so I get the whole (remaining space) to my self! I gage the distance by looking for the level that I have hanging in the garage on one side. Once I can see it when looking out the passenger front window I know I'm in far enough :thumb:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts