GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were talking tonight and she mentioned she would be OK with FWD, but we live in Colorado and the only thing I worry about is when we eventually trade it in. Do you think it will kill the resale value of the car if it doesn't have AWD?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I live in Oregon and when I talked to the GMC dealer about trading in my 2WD Tahoe, they weren't interested at all. He said they would have snapped it up if it was a 4x4. They claim that people in the Northwest want AWD or 4x4's. So we are going with the AWD (which is what we wanted anyway.) I would think the mindset is probably similar in Colorado (you know...with the mountains and all.) :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would be willing to bet where I am in TN that I would lose all value of AWD in resale, but where you are, I would think you would at least get the value of AWD, maybe more. You could probably research SUVs with 2WD vs 4WD, same features, if there is less than 2k value on the 4WD, then you don't get a bump for AWD. As the price of the car depreciates over time, the % difference may also get less. If, in 5 years it is worth 15k for FWD and 16K for AWD, then the % markup for AWD is roughly the same, but would it be worth it?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
A few years ago, when internet car sales were still new, my cousin (who lives in Utah) bought a Tahoe. It was located in Florida. He couldn't believe how good of a price he got. He flew to Florida, enjoyed a vacation at Disney World, and then picked up the Tahoe to drive it home. Only then did he find it was FWD. :-\ I've never even seen a FWD Tahoe in Utah. He drove it home, quite disappointed, and decided to sell it. But, he couldn't find a buyer locally. Ended up dumping it at a huge loss. :( I guess you need to know your market.

Kelly

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
kjf said:
A few years ago, when internet car sales were still new, my cousin (who lives in Utah) bought a Tahoe. It was located in Florida. He couldn't believe how good of a price he got. He flew to Florida, enjoyed a vacation at Disney World, and then picked up the Tahoe to drive it home. Only then did he find it was FWD. :-\ I've never even seen a FWD Tahoe in Utah. He drove it home, quite disappointed, and decided to sell it. But, he couldn't find a buyer locally. Ended up dumping it at a huge loss. :( I guess you need to know your market.

Kelly
Don't you mean RWD? I don't think there is such a thing as a FWD Tahoe. We get your point though. My brother-in-law moved to Tulsa from Omaha and was surprised that the majority of the SUVs and pickups on the streets there were 2WD. He bought a RWD pickup - and just got transferred to Colorado.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
In Colorado or other areas where AWD or 4x4 would be helpful, in my opinion I think it is better for resale. My compnay has an office in CO and everyone eithers get an AWD or 4x4 of some sort.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You can't find a new 2WD truck for sale in Colorado. the dealers won't even get one on their lots.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tymj said:
You can't find a new 2WD truck for sale in Colorado. the dealers won't even get one on their lots.
I disagree with that I test drove a FWD Acadia in Greeley a couple weeks ago. I think they carry FWD vehicles even if they have an AWD variant.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I only ask because I already have a 4x4 Chevy and I don't really need another AWD vehicle because if it snows that much my wife isn't going to drive and if I drive it won't be the Acadia. I was only concerned with the resale, because no matter what we get we would order it not buy it off the lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts