GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess what. Its raining in Seattle! I have noticed today that I am getting some wheel spin going uphill on a rainy street. The traction control light actually came on once. Not panicking here but am wondering how well this car is going to handle in more treacherous conditions. Not much snow around here but might take it to the pass for skiing this winter. Anyone had any snow experience yet in a FWD version?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Do you have the 18" or 19" tires?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I've been worried about that exact same thing. My tires often slip even at the slightest hint of water on the ground. I haven't had any experience yet driving it in the snow since I bought it in March. I'm a little skeered of what this winter is going to bring. My traction control light hasn't come on at all, but the tires slip on wet pavement and chirp on dry pavement quite often.

18" tires here BTW.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the 18" as well. I have been through alot of rain up here and had no problem. For some reason this last bout of rain I have had some slipping. Never a control issue, just was unexpected. It will just slip on take off and grab on and go. If it is like this in the rain, I have to wonder how it will be in the snow. I wonder about these tires. They already have the whine issue. Perhaps they are not the best traction either?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I agree, it's not about feeling like the vehicle will lose control. It's just when taking off from a stop. Which isn't such a big deal in the rain. The tires slip and then grab right away. It's when there's snow and ice on the ground, and you take off from a stop but the tires slip. I personally think that could cause a dangerous situation. Maybe it's just the tires and not necessarily the vehicle.

(My tires don't have a *whine* issue, I'm not sure what that is...)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I feel the tires on my SLT2 break loose when accelerating over the white strips at the stop signs and lights on the road. Additionally it seems easier to burn the tires on a fast acceleration from a stop lately... Probably due to a heavy foot. I have a question though, I just received the recall to have the operating system for the transmission flashed with a new update. I haven't had it down yet but my understanding is that the update makes the transmission respond quicker to changes made by the driver as well as environmental conditions. Have those that are having the slippage did the update?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I did have the update done, but my Acadia experienced this slippage prior to and after the update. The update honestly didn't change much at all in my transmission.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The 18 inch tires on our Acadia have a 70,000 mile wear. This means that the rubber is fairly hard and because of the tread design and rating of MUD/SNOW, these tires are not as good on wet pavement. With mud/snow rating, these tires should do very well in snow climate. NOT ice conditions. Drive carefully in wet conditions, but the tread design will give good bite in snow as that is the design of the tire. If you want to feel safer in winter, I suggest 4 Blizzak snow tires, if they make them for the Acadia. Comments welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our FWD Acadia has been parked in the garage for the past 10 days as it cannot climb a 10 degree driveway with 1/2" of snow. I would not recommend anyone under any conditions to drive this vehicle in snow conditions. The vehicle is overweight no matter what tire size for FWD in snow or ice, hence it is a safety risk.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Wow, many of you are making my decision to buy AWD vs. FWD more difficult ??? I'm possibly a week away from placing an order, and I have been back & forth on this for several months. Although I don't really drive in snow / ice conditions (need to leave town to see that), I do like to get off the pavement on "moderate" off-road spots when mountain biking or camping - typically in mostly dry conditions. Not that I would challenge an Acadia to anything clearly beyond it's capabilities, however, I've always felt fairly secure with my RR wheel drive S-10 blazer. The user comment above about the wet driveway surprised me! I recently drove up a very steep driveway in our foothills and was thinking about how well a FWD would negotiate the stretch - even when dry.

Regarding the spinning of wheels - it seems that with 251(?) ft. lbs. of torque to the front wheels, spinning could come rather easily if you put your foot into it a bit, or are on wet and/or steep areas.

I've read other posts in previous months where many owners who actually live in seasonally snowy climates are perfectly happy with FWD. I didn't see any comments yet from those folks on this thread. Please ease my mind & help me back to the FWD side of the fence!

Cheers,

Smooth <><

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I do have to admit that when we had this last snow/ice storm here in the Chicago burbs and my driveway was not shoveled (meaning there was a good 5 inches of snow on it with ice underneath), the Acadia did have a difficult time getting into it unless I backed up into the road and just plowed through. But if I stopped midway, forget it, I had to back up again and start over. My driveway has a pretty steep slope though.

Other than that incident, my FWD has been more than fabulous on the roads during or after a snow storm. I'm quite pleased.

Last summer I took the Acadia out to Pryor, OK to a campground that had just been flooded by a torrential downpour and it had no problems at all negotiating the gravel roads or swampy grassy areas.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
We've had a couple of snowstorms already this year and our FWD Acadia has not had any problem with up to about 4-5 inches of the white stuff. They only time I haven't been able to get up our driveway was when there was about 1/2-inch of ice under the snow and then even my 4x4 Silverado couldn't make it up into the garage. No traction problems here. ;D

·
Registered
118 Posts
i just spent 5 days in snow packed/icy roads in wolf creek colorado. i was able to get around just fine, just not at the same rate as the 4x4's that were passing me constantly. front wheel drive = drive slow and careful. if 1/2" of snow makes you park your acadia in the garage, then you probably need to think about how you drive in snow and ice.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes, I had only one significant traction issue but it was on sheer ice and I'm quite sure any vehicle would have struggled.

What's really missing is the availability of affordable 19" snow tires for this car. Some day......?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I find it rather easy to spin the front drive wheels any time, e.g. when accelerating with the wheel turned a bit, or even straight if there is any sand or gravel on the road surface. Water or snow (none of the latter here in Florida) just make it worse. This car delivers a lot of power to the drive wheels and with so much weight it is not surprising the tires spin before the car begins to move.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have the 19's and just had a mini blizzard with snow drifts of 18 inches and had no problems. It did spin the front once and a while when i got aggressive with the throttle but the traction control worked great and stopped the spinning wheel. Mine is a FWD also. :thumb:

·
Registered
533 Posts
OK, I think I feel a little better tonight. Thanks to all for sharing your valuable personal experiences. In my head, I know that FWD will meet 95% of my general driving needs. I think I need to accept the fact that driving AWD 100% of the time (for me) would be overkill, and that I'd just need to be mindful of conditions where FWD may not handle like AWD. And with gasoline not getting cheaper in the future, the FWD is probably right for me.

Smooth

·
Registered
234 Posts
Smooth - we have the same though process. I am leaning towards the FWD and I live in the NE area of the country, only need AWD less than 5% of the time. If the weather is that bad outside, I'm working from home!
Another thought process is the money you would save annually in gas can be applied to a good set of winter tires if one was inclined to go that route. That's what European drivers have been doing for decades.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have factory 18" that are M/S rated and plows through snow like nobody's business. Best traction ever in my opinion!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.