GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to save $2000 to keep my payment within reach. I realize the FWD wont be much of an off road machine, but how does it do on snow covered roads?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also wanted to save $2000 and ended up with the FWD. Livining in South Carolina I figured I could live without it. Two weeks ago we had 5 inches of snow with ice under the snow. The Acadia was great. Went through the snow with no problems and felt safe. I guess it will depend on where you live and how much snow you get in a year. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I think the weight of the vehicle really helps with any fish tailing and handling. Of course with AWD there is some peace of mind that you might not have with a FWD. I live in southern AZ; not too much threat of snow or ice.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If snow is a major consideration in your desicion, go with the AWD.
In theory it is a better choice.

Remember though, nothing is like a true 4x4 in the snow.
My wife's rodeo sport feels like it is glued to the road in the snow,
my previous AWD didn't even come close.
The FWD Acadia has "predictable" manners in the snow;
after you get a feel for the vehicle, you'll know when your going to slip or slide.

I just drove back from MN in a pretty bad snow/ice storm.
10 vehicles slid off the road in about 100 miles (1 each 10 miles).
The Acadia performed well, but we kept the speed under 45 mph.

·
Registered
956 Posts
We received over 8' of snow this year and two of the storms dropped well over 3' at one time. The roads were not plowed for at least 8 hours so we had to drive in the deep snow. The snow was not ever 3' deep on the road, but deep enough that the Acadia was high centering. We never got stuck or close to it with the AWD, but I doubt a FWD would've made it. I have another vehicle that is 4WD and I will say that between the two I would pick the 4WD for really harsh conditions. By the way the AWD is completely transparent. You do not feel the engagement of the rear wheels at all where my 4WD has to be disengaged on dry pavement. The AWD Acadia is not an off road vehicle. It will do fine on graded fire roads, but rock hopping and severe off-roading would destroy it.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
BOKMAN said:
Trying to save $2000 to keep my payment within reach. I realize the FWD wont be much of an off road machine, but how does it do on snow covered roads?
Depends on the area in which you live. Update your profile with your location! :)

I live in the Chicago burbs. We get our fair share of snow. I've driven the Acadia out on unplowed roads where the area between the tire ruts in the snow scraped the belly of my Acadia. It handled fine. But as Copperhead already mentioned, it's predictable, and I'm already familiar with how it handles so I know how to "drive" it to get the best response out of the traction control in snowy conditions.

If you're getting 3' or more of snow at a time, then you're probably better off with the AWD vs. FWD.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The tires have more to do with how any vehicle performs in the snow than the vehicle itself.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Nu2GMC said:
The tires have more to do with how any vehicle performs in the snow than the vehicle itself.

True dat!

But we are all running the same tires; as there are only two tire options on new vehicles, so we can compare performance
between the two drive systems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I live in the Michigan so we get a lot of snow here, and my FWD does great! Matter-of-fact I think the Acadia does better then my Chevy S-10 4x4 ever did. Turning is a bit of an issue when the road are covered with snow. If you try to make a turn going to fast the wheels will turn and the car will go straight as an arrow(found out the hard way). I was spoiled with real wheel drive were I could just let the *** end slide out a bit when making a turn. The Acadia holds the road really well, and the traction control helps out. When taking off from a dead stop I like to go into low manual and tap the trans down into 3rd gear to keep the wheels from spinning to much.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My 2010 SLT2 FWD did ok in heavy snow in Park City, Utah ski trip with the 20" OEM tires. It did require some delicacy but really did not give any feeling of confidence. The same heavy vehicle weight that helped it get traction caused steering to be more aiming than steering.
If I lived where there was regular heavy snow I certainly would recommend AWD. :shrug:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Having both a FWD Enclave and AWD Acadia and can say 1st hand that the FWD is terrible in the snow when compared to AWD.
My wife is the primary driver and has had several problems this winter. It only has 22k miles on it, so the tires aren't too bad either.
We will be getting some winter tires for next year.

If you drive in snow conditions, get the AWD. It's worth it.

·
Registered
786 Posts
my AWD is unstoppable!!!
If goes thru the snow like a machine! and when in doubt, hammer down and beat it thru the snow :thumb:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Snow Country = The need for snow tires IMHO.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
encadia said:
Having both a FWD Enclave and AWD Acadia and can say 1st hand that the FWD is terrible in the snow when compared to AWD.
My wife is the primary driver and has had several problems this winter. It only has 22k miles on it, so the tires aren't too bad either.
We will be getting some winter tires for next year.

If you drive in snow conditions, get the AWD. It's worth it.
Never found this to be the case.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
My FWD OUTLOOK does great in the snow, I mean I'm not out blazing trails or anything but for everyday snow driving it's good even with the Crapterras on it :thumbdown:.

·
Registered
332 Posts
As I said in another thread, I didn't think it was a problem either until I drove it for myself and realized my wife wasn't making up stories. It really didn't go very well. I couldn't believe how bad it was.

·
Registered
635 Posts
mikemu said:
Never found this to be the case.
:ditto:

It is my opinion, that just like MPG, driving in the snow/ice is just as much about the driver as the vehicle. I have no problems with the FWD in snow and ice. I've driven, and was trained in, a 4 wheel drive Suburban and have found the FWD just as responsive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Really? To keep payment withing reach??? $2000 equals $30 a month depending on length of payments. If that $30 is gonna break the bank, you dont need to be buying an Acadia in the first place!
Just saying...

·
Registered
332 Posts
khansen30 said:

It is my opinion, that just like MPG, driving in the snow/ice is just as much about the driver as the vehicle. I have no problems with the FWD in snow and ice. I've driven, and was trained in, a 4 wheel drive Suburban and have found the FWD just as responsive.
Really?...FWD is just an responsive? That must be why auto manufacturers sell AWD just to make more money. It's not any better than FWD.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
khansen30 said:

I can also drive FWD in the snow...

I just have to drive slower around corners.
Accelerate slower from stops due to tire spin.
Plan my route to avoid steep hills that are snow covered.
Keep much further back from traffic just in case I need to swerve around someone.
And forget about driving down my driveway unless it is plowed already.

Other then that, it is basically the same right?

Many vehicles owned over the years, a few of them FWD, a few RWD, and a few AWD
I will NEVER purchase another FWD vehicle again, terribly unsafe in the snow.. understeer equals loss of control.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts