GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the oil drain plug on my 2008 Acadia?

EDIT
Poll removed, thread retitled. Something good from something inane.[/color]

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Re: Oil drain plug

Snoguy said:
(Searching sometimes helps)
Great minds think alike. I don't have my Acadia yet, so I don't know about the plug. From what I've been told in any Acadian endeavor it helps to start here:

The poll is confusing history. ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts

I just ordered a Fumoto valve to replace the drain plug. I and many other diesel truck owners have used them for years with great success, since you can't drop the plug into the oil drain pan (not that anyone ever does) and you never have to worry about stripping the threads in the oil pan.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

Sparkchsr said:
I just ordered a Fumoto valve to replace the drain plug. I and many other diesel truck owners have used them for years with great success, since you can't drop the plug into the oil drain pan (not that anyone ever does) and you never have to worry about stripping the threads in the oil pan.
Can you provide more details about this item?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

Looks like this thread is actually proving useful.

Bonk:
Here you go

Basically a wrenchless drain valve.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

COOL. I like that. I don't do my own oil changes, but that surely seems to make it less likely for oil to be spilled all over, and less chance of the service station over torqueing or leaving it loose. I like the feature of the nipple for connecting a tube to drain out. How easy is this thing to accidentally open up and drain out?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

Beats me. I've never used one- many of my vehicles are somewhat crowded in this area and/or the oil pan is the low point, so I can't have anything hanging down. Seems like a good idea though.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

bonk1313 said:
COOL. I like that. I don't do my own oil changes, but that surely seems to make it less likely for oil to be spilled all over, and less chance of the service station over torqueing or leaving it loose. I like the feature of the nipple for connecting a tube to drain out. How easy is this thing to accidentally open up and drain out?
FWIW, I have never heard of one of these opening up by accident. Makes draining the oil a snap. Now if we could just get the Acadia oil filter put in a reasonable location... :banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

GeoHawk said:
Now if we could just get the Acadia oil filter put in a reasonable location... :banghead:
I agree, I was just looking at that yesterday when I was cleaning the engine compartment. That is a very odd spot. Seems that you will spill oil all over no matter what you do.

Another reason why I don't know if I will ever try to change my own oil.

·
Registered
428 Posts

You can buy an oil filter relocation kit that screws onto the oil filter location now and moves the actual filter to an easier to access spot.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Bonk: I have never heard of one opening up accidently. You must lift the tab up before it will turn. I did add a small worm gear hose clamp to mine so there is no way that the tab can move up.

This really is an easy way to change your oil. I will install mine at the first oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

Sparkchsr said:
Bonk: I have never heard of one opening up accidently. You must lift the tab up before it will turn. I did add a small worm gear hose clamp to mine so there is no way that the tab can move up.

This really is an easy way to change your oil. I will install mine at the first oil change.
Cool, I was looking at the website Blue posted. Does the acadia require the additional piece. Do you know what exactly the Acadia needs so that I can purchase one?

·
Registered
19 Posts

I ordered the F-107, although I'm only about 90% sure of the number since they don't list the 2009. the caddy chart shows "96 and on all engines" and I believe my engine is the same as one of them. I'll let you know for sure in a couple of weeks when I try it out.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

GM can be sneaky about stuff like oil pans & threads-
I have the Gen 3 V8 with the Camaro oil pan in my Toyota and Mazda, so when I put one in the BMW I was thinking the same oil cooler adapter (installs between the filter and pan) would work even though it had a Gen 4 (Hummer H3) pan. WRONG!

They changed to metric threads, so I had to buy another oil cooler adapter and a different filter! I thought the metric conversion was in the 80's, always a challenge to work on an SAE/Metric combo from that time frame.

I'm fairly certain the drain plug threads are the same, though, so you should be OK.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Well I did my first oil change yesterday. The F107 is definately the correct Fumoto valve BUT it will not thread in all of the way without hitting the oil pan. I am going to order the ADP107 adaptor which should solve the problem, too bad I wont find out for a while. I will update when the time comes and if anyone else installs this please let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
113 Posts

When changing the oil in the Acadia, do you have to change the washer on the drain plug each time?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

Swarren7 said:
When changing the oil in the Acadia, do you have to change the washer on the drain plug each time?
The factory drainplug has a built-in rubber washer, so no. Not like the **** crushwashers on a Honda.

·
Registered
423 Posts

no you dont, but make sure you inspect it. if it is both metal and rubber, the rubber can seperate. no big deal, those washers are cheap. just dont over torque the bolt.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

Very ironic that you posted this today, I was just looking back on this thread for information about the plug to place my order, but wanted to hear you results. Thanks for keeping us informed, We appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts