GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new vehicle, and so far the Acadia is the front runner. Im just kind of worried about the fuel mileage. How bad are they? i know its a big truck so no matter what its not gonna be "good" but How are yours in comparison to other vehicles you own(ed)? I have a 2001 grand prix GTP (supercharged) and used to drive Trans Ams, mustangs, etc. so its not like im going from civic to SUV. but i just want to know what to expect.

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i prefer to compare to other cars. I dont find all MPG ratings the best way of knowing considering the different in highway in city driving. Plus alot of people use the DIC to judge and they arent as accurate as most think.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I do a ton of city driving (90%). I at almost 13,000 mile and have averaged 14.7 MPG (pen and paper). If I new I would be getting this kind of mileage I would have passed. When I leased the Acadia gas was $2.43 a gallon. Now at $3.30 it is starting to really hurt my pocket book. I love the car it self but the gas mileage sucks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dawgdaes said:
I do a ton of city driving (90%). I at almost 13,000 mile and have averaged 14.7 MPG (pen and paper). If I new I would be getting this kind of mileage I would have passed. When I leased the Acadia gas was $2.43 a gallon. Now at $3.30 it is starting to really hurt my pocket book. I love the car it self but the gas mileage sucks.
I'm curious what you think would be acceptable gas mileage for a 5000lb vehicle driven 90% in city driving.

·
Registered
96 Posts
how you drive the vehicle makes a HUGE difference. when i drove one way 350 miles on highway flatlands at 72-75 mph on the cruise control i did about 19.5-20.5 mpg on my FWD. the next day i did the same stretch at 62-65 mph and got 25 mpg. in 90% suburban driving my FWD does about 16 mpg or so.

the question asked before is a good one... if you need a 5000 lb vehicle with the storage space of an Acadia what would you consider acceptable mileage for city driving? for me the 16 mpg is it because i don't know where else i can do better without having a smaller vehicle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rod S said:
Dawgdaes said:
I'm curious what you think would be acceptable gas mileage for a 5000lb vehicle driven 90% in city driving.
The Acadia is the largest vehicle I have ever driven. I guess it is par for the course. I'm just saying that for me personally the MPG is too low. If i had to do it over again I would go in a different direction. I would to see them make this a two mode hybrid model. I think it would kick butt in the market place. I have 26 months left on my lease MPG will be a much larger consideration next time around.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Dawgdaes said:
I would to see them make this a two mode hybrid model. I think it would kick butt in the market place. I have 26 months left on my lease MPG will be a much larger consideration next time around.
Not going to happen (discussed already, no current GM Hybrid system will fit in a Lambda), and that would really only make a dent around town--but not necessarily a big one. As much as putzing around in electric mode allows you to not use any gas, when it's such a big, heavy vehicle, it can't do that for very long and the improvements overall are small.

Of course, a Lambda should have no trouble doing high teens with light driving around town, but as we see here, it varies for everyone. And, actually, a lot of truck-based larger SUV's easily pull mid teens themselves around town, but then can't match (well, not as closely) the highway cruising mileage a Lambda can.

Basically, if getting great mileage is a need, stay away from an SUV period unless it's smaller, lighter, and 4-cyl, etc. Otherwise, as said here, the Lambdas do very well on the whole for a 5000 lb huge SUV with lots of people and cargo space, towing capability, etc. Certainly not much different, and essentially the same as, a vaunted Honda Pilot and other competitors.

flyinlow89 said:
I'm in the market for a new vehicle, and so far the Acadia is the front runner. Im just kind of worried about the fuel mileage. How bad are they? i know its a big truck so no matter what its not gonna be "good" but How are yours in comparison to other vehicles you own(ed)? I have a 2001 grand prix GTP (supercharged) and used to drive Trans Ams, mustangs, etc. so its not like im going from civic to SUV. but i just want to know what to expect.

thanks
Bet on mid to upper teens around town, and 20 to lower/mid 20's with steady highway cruising. They can do extremely well, but not necessarily stop-go-stop-go with the bulk, etc. If you're used to Trans Ams, Mustangs, etc. you should be used to EXACTLY the same kind of mileage almost, but with a lot more room.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dawgdaes said:
Can you complain about 15 MPG when the sticker says 16 MPG in town. That's probably a hell of a lot closer than most real world and EPA end up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
coloradoGM,

How's the Acadia in the mountains? Have you used it to go skiing this year? I was really happy for my V8 Expedition while I lived in CO. We plan on moving back and I would like to know whether of not the Acadia is a viable option. I know it can do the drive, I just want to know how well... Example: My Explorer (1990) was a dog in da mountains back in the day. I hated using it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Jake_99 said:
coloradoGM,

How's the Acadia in the mountains? Have you used it to go skiing this year? I was really happy for my V8 Expedition while I lived in CO. We plan on moving back and I would like to know whether of not the Acadia is a viable option. I know it can do the drive, I just want to know how well... Example: My Explorer (1990) was a dog in da mountains back in the day. I hated using it.
Jake_99,
I don't have my Acadia yet, I decided to wait for the 09 (bluetooth and DI V6). My good friend has one and hasn't had any problems holding 75 going up I-70. I've heard other people complain but they probably want to do 90 with all the other idiots. BTW the other people that complained didn't have the new tranny tuning. IMO you should be fine out here, if my K2500 will do 75-80 up the mountains with 300 hp I imagine the Acadia should do fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just recently sold my Acadia. I do 99% city driving and I was getting 12-14 mpg with my lead foot. I bought a Honda CR-V and just finished my first tank of gas and I'm seeing 20 mpg in the city.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
stevemel said:
I just recently sold my Acadia. I do 99% city driving and I was getting 12-14 mpg with my lead foot. I bought a Honda CR-V and just finished my first tank of gas and I'm seeing 20 mpg in the city.
Congratulations on the Honda CR-V. It is a great economy SUV. It's one I would look at for my wife's commuter car in a couple years. It also shows to me how happy I am with the mpg on the Acadia. When I look at the CR-V for adults, I see a 4 passenger car that could be pushed in to a 5 pass car if needed. I needed the 8 passenger and driving 1 Acadia sure beats driving 2 CR-Vs. For sure, if you only need to haul 4 people (or 5 with kids), the CR-V is a great value!! But for what it is, I think the Acadia is the best value for the features it has.

·
Registered
207 Posts
GAR said:
stevemel said:
Congratulations on the Honda CR-V. It is a great economy SUV. It's one I would look at for my wife's commuter car in a couple years. It also shows to me how happy I am with the mpg on the Acadia. When I look at the CR-V for adults, I see a 4 passenger car that could be pushed in to a 5 pass car if needed. I needed the 8 passenger and driving 1 Acadia sure beats driving 2 CR-Vs. For sure, if you only need to haul 4 people (or 5 with kids), the CR-V is a great value!! But for what it is, I think the Acadia is the best value for the features it has.
AND... if you don't need to tow up to 4500lbs.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Okay took a small road trip to Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park in Front Royal, Virginia.
Here are my MPG #'s according to my DIC,
Home to Skyline Drive Entrance, including city and highway 66.74miles --- 19.3MPG
Skyline Drive entrance to Big Meadow THIS IS UP A MOUNTAIN from elevation of 1390FT to 3490FT 54miles. I got 17.4MPG @35-45MPH
From 66on ramp to 66 off ramp from interstate 24 miles at 70-75mph- I got 22.6MPG.

Sorry to hear so many others are having low numbers, but I am happy with this.

oh and this is with 10% ethanol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts