GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what the maximum power distribution for the wheels is when AWD is engaged?

When I bought it in 2007 the salesman thought it was 80 / 20 (front / rear).
If AWD is not needed it is front wheel drive only.

Anybody know what it really is?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Not exactly sure, but my 05 Envoy had an AWD option. When switched to AWD, the front drive axle was "engaged" but no power was applied to that drive shaft unless the vehicle required it. I am not too familiar with the Acadia AWD system, I just thought I would throw my 2 cents in :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
The following may not exactly answer the question, but is some info from GM about the 07 and 08 models' AWD. The AWD system was upgraded between 07 and 08.

O7 Model

http://media.gm.com/us/gmc/en/produ..._acadia/07presskit/AcadiaRideandHandling.html

Acadia is available with an intelligent all-wheel drive system that provides enhanced traction in a multitude of driving conditions. It interfaces with the StabiliTrak electronic stability control system to ensure optimal handling as well as increased traction. A reduced-mass design and aerodynamic packaging keep overall vehicle weight down and enhance fuel economy when compared with larger, heavier AWD systems.

Acadia ’s AWD system is always “on” – always sending a controlled amount of torque to the rear wheels – and doesn’t require activation or other input from the driver. The system simply decides how much torque to split between the front and rear wheels, based on vehicle speed, throttle position and road surface conditions. Torque is sent to the wheels that have the best traction, giving Acadia the capability to handle a variety of driving situations.

The system uses a Getrag power transfer unit mounted to the output of the front-wheel drive transaxle. A driveshaft delivers torque to the rear drive module (RDM), which includes a torque tube, rear differential and halfshafts equipped with constant velocity (CV) joints. The RDM’s controller interfaces with the StabiliTrak system during electronic stability control events.

Sophisticated programming maps enable the AWD system to independently optimize traction and handling. The first map helps reduce wheel slip at launch and ensures smooth transitions. The second map uses slip-sensing control to further enhance traction at all speeds and enable handling tuning based on speed and surface conditions. An electronically controlled, fast-acting clutch determines the amount of front-to-rear torque distribution, allowing for nearly instantaneous reaction to changing driving conditions.
[/color]

08 Model
http://media.gm.com/us/gmc/en/product_services/r_cars/r_c_acadia/index.html

Also, Acadia AWD models feature an Intelligent AWD system that delivers enhanced driving dynamics and a more refined driving experience. Intelligent AWD takes full-time AWD performance to the next level by incorporating dynamic yaw control and fully integrating with the StabiliTrak electronic stability control system. A target vehicle yaw rate is established based on driver inputs and driving conditions. Intelligent AWD manages the torque distribution to maintain the vehicle’s target yaw rate and optimize yaw stability. As in the previous AWD system, the front-to-rear torque distribution is also managed to optimize the vehicle’s traction capability. In addition to reducing understeer and improving cornering capability, Intelligent AWD provides significant performance improvements on snow and gravel. For the driver, this means optimized vehicle dynamics and control.

Also refined for '08 is Acadia's traction control system; it provides more refined performance and smoother control. This is achieved with revised calibrations that enable less engine torque during turns, an adaptive transmission shift schedule during active traction control events, smoother control on varied road conditions and enhanced cooperation with AWD.
[/color]

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
iceburns288 said:
According to Edmunds it is 90/10 F/R when AWD is not needed and can go up to 35/65 F/R.
The FWD basic layout will always put more to the front wheels, so the 90/10 F/R is correct, but the other is 65/35 F/R. Looks like the transposed data came from Edmunds. I'll look for the GM source for this and post it here.

EDIT
This is one of those things I read while doing some research & I can't find it in any of the PDF files I saved. I also can't find any exact numbers either way from GM. If it can do 65% RWD, this would be interesting.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Blue, I think it can do 35/65 I don't remember where I saw it but I do remember seeing it somewhere other than edmunds

·
Registered
152 Posts
iceburns288 said:
According to Edmunds it is 90/10 F/R when AWD is not needed and can go up to 35/65 F/R.
:ditto:

Also read this on Edmunds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts