GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Friday, I came oh so close to T-boning a knucklehead that pulled out into traffic in front of me. Fortunately, I was able to get the Acadia stopped about a foot short of smacking into the driver door of the other vehicle. I was traveling approximately 45-50 MPH when the twit darted out in front of me. I layed on the brakes really hard. The ABS system kicked in when the tires started skidding and I am 100% certain that if it were not for the ABS system, I would not have gotten the car stopped in time. I thought for sure there was no way out of the situation.

The close call shook me up pretty good, so I made a point to avoid driving all weekend. Now this morning while driving to work I noticed that the front suspension creaks and moans with every slightest movement. And LOUDLY. The car seems to be driving completely normal, but now does so sounding like a proverbial bucket of bolts.

I plan to have it checked out at the dealership, but is it possible that an emergency stop such as the one I've described can cause damage to the suspension at all? ??? Just doesn't seem right to me that it could possibly be that flimsy.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
That dosen't sound right(no pun intended). The vehicle should be made so that an emergency stop such as yours is nothing more than that and no damage should occur to the suspension. Keep us informed as to what happens when you go back to service.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TMMAR said:
That dosen't sound right(no pun intended). The vehicle should be made so that an emergency stop such as yours is nothing more than that and no damage should occur to the suspension. Keep us informed as to what happens when you go back to service.
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE
I'm due to have the Acadia in to the dealer on Friday to have it looked at. However, I thought I should mention that since I've been driving the car again for a few days, I have noticed a marked difference in the way it sounds as compared to my initial impressions. I now understand the circumstances involved better than when I originally posted.

The creaking sounds appears to occur only at slow speeds when passing over a speed bump, encountering a driveway curb/ramp both in fwd and reverse, and on "wavy" paving. This last one refers to the parking lot where I work. No potholes, not "bumpy", but definitely not flat either!! It is a series of patches that have been applied to the lot over several years......looks like a mammoth quilt.

Anyway, it wasn't until later yesterday that I realized that my original impression was formed after driving the car all the way to work Monday with the stereo on and the air conditioning running. Then, when I entered the lot at work with it's patchwork and speed bumps, I turned everything off and the suspension noise quickly grabbed my attention and seemed "constant". Between the nerve racking experience I had Friday added to having only owned this car 3 months, panic set in and I overreacted.

It's still an issue, and as I said, I am having it looked at. However, I believe I owe an apology for originally coming across as an alarmist.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That sounds exactly like my husband's 10 year old car that sorely needs soms suspension attention. There are a couple of spots in my neighbrohood like reverse speedbumps- they go down like a gutter - and it creaks and rocks over those like nothing else. But, I would expect a 10 year old car might need some work in that area.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
rudykizuty,
What was the outcome of your visit to the dealer regarding the front end noise?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TMMAR said:
rudykizuty,
What was the outcome of your visit to the dealer regarding the front end noise?
The upper strut mounts and bearings are the source of the noise. The replacement parts are on order.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey good luck with that, and keep us informed, if you still hear any other noise from the front end, after you get it back from the dealer. Good Luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The service rep at the dealership told me that he has occasionally seen this on other GM vehicles, however, this is the first instance where he has seen it on an Acadia.

This is one thing I like about my GMC dealer. I have always felt they have been honest with me. They've acknowledged that on the whole, suspension is one of the General's weaker areas. And I would agree. I once had an Impala that creaked over speed bumps, exactly the same sound I'm getting now except that it was coming from the rear. The Chevy dealer claimed they couldn't find any bad parts. It sure was temperamental though. It only made noise when the temperature was below 55 degrees. In any weather warmer than that it was completely quiet.

Naturally, I waited for warm weather to trade it ;D

Thanks for the well wishes!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE

The upper strut mounts and bearings were replaced yesterday. The suspension has returned to being quiet. :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
rudykizuty, thanks for the narrative. I own a Saturn version of the Lambda that has had the same creaking noises. The info has been helpful in guiding the local service department... Strut bearings are on order...

Question for you: Did you notice if the noise was more prevalant with high temperature?

It seems ours creaks after we have driven a while and then let the vehicle sit. In looking at the undercarriage, I noticed a plastic panel is missing from each of the front wheel wells that protect the engine/trans (ie. I can see a lot of the front of the engine in the passenger wheel well - at least three pulley wheels...). Just wondering if you have those installed on yours.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CoolRides said:
rudykizuty, thanks for the narrative. I own a Saturn version of the Lambda that has had the same creaking noises. The info has been helpful in guiding the local service department... Strut bearings are on order...

Question for you: Did you notice if the noise was more prevalant with high temperature?

It seems ours creaks after we have driven a while and then let the vehicle sit. In looking at the undercarriage, I noticed a plastic panel is missing from each of the front wheel wells that protect the engine/trans (ie. I can see a lot of the front of the engine in the passenger wheel well - at least three pulley wheels...). Just wondering if you have those installed on yours.
No, not really. Unlike my Chevy, temperature didn't seem to have any bearing at all. It was always at slow speeds only + suspension movement (speed bumps, driveway curbing, etc.) The faster you go.......and nothing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I believe I might be having this problem. I recently noticed a creaking noise when going over a speed bump coming from the front end. We'll see if it continues.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Looks like this TSB:

#07-03-08-006A: Squeak/Creak/Pop Type Noise from Front of Vehicle (Replace Both Front Strut Upper Mounts) - (Mar 3, 2008)

Subject: Squeak/Creak/Pop Type Noise from Front of Vehicle (Replace Both Front Strut Upper Mounts)

Models: 2008 Buick Enclave

2007-2008 GMC Acadia

2007-2008 Saturn OUTLOOK

Built Prior to March 01, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the OUTLOOK model and update the Acadia model to 2008. An updated part number has also been added. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-03-08-006 (Section 03 -- Suspension).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on a squeak/creak/pop type noise coming from the front of the vehicle. This noise will most likely occur during low speed turning after a small to medium suspension travel.

Cause
The cause of this condition may be due to the front strut dust boot rubbing against the vertical face of the retaining cup.

Correction
A new front strut upper mount has been developed to correct this condition. Replace the right and left side front strut upper mounts following the published SI replacement procedure.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Mount Assembly, Front Strut

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

E3927
Mount Assembly, Front Strut Bearing - Replace (Both)
Use Published Labor Operation Time

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had this problem as well. It was diagnosed and fixed according to what GeoHawk posted above in January, and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
28 Posts
GeoHawk said:
Looks like this TSB:

#07-03-08-006A: Squeak/Creak/Pop Type Noise from Front of Vehicle (Replace Both Front Strut Upper Mounts) - (Mar 3, 2008)

Subject: Squeak/Creak/Pop Type Noise from Front of Vehicle (Replace Both Front Strut Upper Mounts)

Models: 2008 Buick Enclave

2007-2008 GMC Acadia
Hi GeoHawk,

Great TSB info, thanks. I am having the very annoying front suspension noise on my '08.

I have, however, been through this drill before with various dealers on similar issues and would like to go in well armed. I haven't been able to find any reference to TSB 07-03-08-006A through Google, just references to Bulletin Number: 070525005, a November, 2007 TSB on anti-lock and front suspension noise.

Do you know how I could get a copy of the actual TSB 07-03-08-006A so I can avoid a dissertation from my dealer service guy about "all that stuff from the internet"?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
StarDust39,

If you PM me your e-mail address I can send you a copy of the actual document. It has the same information as the post I made above.

Or your dealer can pull it up in SI2000 3 ways:

Do a search for: "Front Suspension Noise" for the Acadia

Enter TSB#: 07-03-08-006A, or

Enter Document ID: 2074840

Any of the 3 ways can be used to get to the TSB.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can't believe it!!

Thanks to GeoHawk I took the actual front suspension noise TSB in a couple of weeks ago when I got my first oil change and 5000 mile tire rotation. The dealer knew nothing about the TSB but thanked me for having the info. Called me and said I could come pick up the car but would have to come back because the parts were on order.

Finally got rescheduled today, went in at 7:15 am so I could "get in early and get right out". At 11:15 I got the car back and as soon as I hit the street and started home, I heard exactly the same noises that I took it in to get rid of!! Came on home because I knew the dealer couldn't do anything more today and an entire morning there was enough. :angryfire: :angryfire:

The other mistake I made was leaving without the paperwork. I was in a hurry, so they said they would mail it to me. I'll have to wait a day or two to see what they actually did. I probably got new muffler bearings and a rebuilt kanuter valve.

Anybody else had this fix fail? What else might be making the noise? Could the dealer have just put on early parts that don't solve the problem?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts