GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 SLT-2 which from day 1 I've noticed a clicking noise when the drivers window is open. It occurs at every speed from 1mph until the wind or road noise makes it indistinguishable and it sounds almost exactly like rocks stuck in the tire grooves (same noise and the frequency is based on wheel speed).

I have checked for rocks/Nails in all tires and there are none. I have walked alongside the car in a parking lot and it sounds like it is coming from the wheelwell area, perhaps even as far under the car as the center of the axel.

Anyone else having this problem?

It doesn't sound like this ebrake cable problem rubbing against the shock because I can't hear it inside the car with the windows up and the frequency is based on wheel speed, not bumps in the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Clicking noise heard with windows open coming from front drivers side

Just an update for anyone who might be interested. I finally had time to take in the Acadia to the dealer today and was going to have the oil swaped for Mobil 1 at 1500 miles. I had them listen to the clicking and they kept the car for diagnosis. So far, the sound has been isolated to the differential. They are giving me a loaner and are going to start exploratory surgery tomorrow morning. I'll keep the board updated in case anyone else hears this same noise.

Background...The car was purchased new with 200 miles on it. I normally don't buy anything with more than 50 miles on it, but this was the color my wife wanted. I inspect all my vehicles THOROUGHLY and I heard the noise as I drove it off the lot for a test drive, but it sounded EXACTLY like a rock in the tire grooves and didn't think enough of it to not buy this car.

I'll know more in a day or so, but I hope they can get in, fix it, swap it, whatever, and get it buttoned back up in NEW condition.

·
Registered
812 Posts

hope they find the problem and get you back on the road in no time... keep us updated!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Going to pick up the car today. Dealer opened up the front differential, didn't see anything funny, and put it back together and claim it is 'noise' free. I'll keep an ear out for anything further, but it may be the last you hear from this problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Final report: Opened the front differential, didn't see anything strange, put it back together and voila! It does not click anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this problem ever since I purchased my 2007 SLE.

I have had it to the dealer 4 separate times to have it looked at and no one could ever pinpoint where it was coming from. Two different GMC dealerships told me I had debris in my tires and that was what was causing the "clicking" noise.

Very frustrating especially after purchasing a brand new vehicle.
I will suggest the front differential when I take it back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an '07 SLE with about 23K miles & I have noticed this sound many times. One day I decided to spend a little time trying to figure out what it was. Although I haven't tried to fix it or take it to the dealer, I think this may be the problem. If you go to the drivers side of your car & look underneath it between the front & back door you will see a cable that has some plastic and metal attachments to it. I'm not exactly sure what this is, but it can move all around. the bigger black metal piece that seems to attach two cables can also rotate around. I think this metal piece hits the underside of the car particularly when it's rotated in such a manner that cause the black metal piece to be closer to the underside of the car. I haven't tried to fix it yet but since I'm posting about it today, I'll go by Lowe's & get some adhesive insulating foam of some sort and attach it to the underside of the car where the contact is being made & see If this fixes it. I've attached 2 pictures showing the black piece I refer to, one where it's rotated down and away from the underside of the car & one where it's rotated up & closer to the underside.

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hmmm, that is interesting. I haven't noticed any noises like have been described in this thread, but I may have to crawl under mine to have a look at that just for the curiousity sake. Can you tell what it is connected to at the ends?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I looked at it again a few minutes ago with a friend & had him engage the emergency brake & the cable tightened up. So it's the emergency brake cable that runs from the front to the back of the car. The noise must appear when the the brake is disengaged and the cable is loose & it flops around from the wind underneath the car and hits the underbody.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I admit that before I took mine in to the dealer to have them isolate the noise (they used some sort of listening device while it was hoisted on a lift), I was pretty certain that the noise was likely caused by something in contact with the moving wheel. However, I do admit that I was a little skeptical of my own diagnosis because at very low (<5mph)speeds, it would not click in perfect synchronization with a full tire rotation. It was close, but was not exactly in sync, and was actually a little more frequent than a full tire rotation.

Based on the final, successfull diagnosis and fix, I suspect that there are other Acadias out there with this issue. If the internal gears/bearings in the differential just didn't line up quite right, then it is doubtful that mine was the only one. It is definitely something that could go unnoticed if you aren't driving in quiet neighborhoods with the windows down at very low speeds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This issue it realated to 2 things.

1) The intermediate steering arm needs to be replaced (I did this on mine) or it needs to be lubed correctly

2) The ABS test that is performed everytime your start the car and get to 9mph and 15 or 20mph is performed. There is also a software upgrade for this that will reduce the loud clicking noise from the test. There is another thread on this but I'm not sure of the thread link.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts