GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My 2021 Acadia Denali has had a brake noise from the L/F wheel since I got it. The noise can best be described as a grinding noise and slight vibration similar to what I would expect when brake pads are totally worn out. The grinding noise can be heard and also felt in the steering wheel. The strange thing is that the noise does not happen during the first one or two stops when the brakes are "cold", but then happens during the next 4 or 5 stops and then disappears totally for the rest of the day.

This has nothing to do with outdoor temperature, as I live in SC and the temperature rarely goes below freezing. I have already checked the rotor for surface rust and scoring, but have found nothing that would cause the noise. I brought it to the dealer, but they could not duplicate the noise because the brakes had already warmed up while driving there. The service manager suggested that the pads might need to seat in a bit, which made sense to me. I figured that a few hard stops and regular use would fix the problem, but so far it has not, and I now have over 2K miles on the odometer.

I guess I will end up leaving the car at the dealer overnight for the first service so they can duplicate the problem. If they still can't duplicate the noise, I will have to demand that they pull the wheel and inspect the pads and rotor. If anyone has any ideas or is experiencing the same problem, please reply. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,477 Posts
If the tech's any good, they'll likely pull the wheel and inspect everything without your "demand." They might even change the pads (on both sides) just to keep you happy, unless they find something else which causes the noise - like a loose or malformed backing plate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the tech's any good, they'll likely pull the wheel and inspect everything without your "demand." They might even change the pads (on both sides) just to keep you happy, unless they find something else which causes the noise - like a loose or malformed backing plate.
I'm tending to think that it's the pads themselves causing the problem. For the first two or three stops there's no noise or grinding. Then for the next 3-5 stops the noise/grinding appears. This happens every day like clockwork, yet once the brakes are warm they return to normal and it doesn't happen for the rest of the day. The grinding noise is severe enough that it can be felt in the brake pedal and the steering wheel. A hard stop increases the grinding noise while this is happening.... Exactly what I would expect to feel if the pads were totally worn out. I'll repost the outcome after it's fixed by the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2021 Acadia Denali has had a brake noise from the L/F wheel since I got it. The noise can best be described as a grinding noise and slight vibration similar to what I would expect when brake pads are totally worn out. The grinding noise can be heard and also felt in the steering wheel. The strange thing is that the noise does not happen during the first one or two stops when the brakes are "cold", but then happens during the next 4 or 5 stops and then disappears totally for the rest of the day.

This has nothing to do with outdoor temperature, as I live in SC and the temperature rarely goes below freezing. I have already checked the rotor for surface rust and scoring, but have found nothing that would cause the noise. I brought it to the dealer, but they could not duplicate the noise because the brakes had already warmed up while driving there. The service manager suggested that the pads might need to seat in a bit, which made sense to me. I figured that a few hard stops and regular use would fix the problem, but so far it has not, and I now have over 2K miles on the odometer.

I guess I will end up leaving the car at the dealer overnight for the first service so they can duplicate the problem. If they still can't duplicate the noise, I will have to demand that they pull the wheel and inspect the pads and rotor. If anyone has any ideas or is experiencing the same problem, please reply. Thanks.
It is the brake pads is what I was told by GMC certified service department manage. He said GM is aware of the problem but there is no recall yet. The brake pads are on back order right now. He is waiting on 3 sets right now. I asked him to put me on the list.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the brake pads is what I was told by GMC certified service department manage. He said GM is aware of the problem but there is no recall yet. The brake pads are on back order right now. He is waiting on 3 sets right now. I asked him to put me on the list.

THANK YOU!!! Based on your response, I was able to locate a TSB issued by GM on 6/30/2021 regarding the front brake noise on my 2021 Acadia. The TSB also covers the 2020/21 Buick Enclave, 2021 Cadillac XT5 and XT6, 2021 Chevy Blazer and Colorado, the 2020/21 Traverse and the 2021 GMC Canyon. The number of the TSB is 21-NA-142.
So the good news is that the problem has been identified by GM. The bad news is that the replacement brake pads are on backorder for most dealers. My dealer told me the parts were at least a week out and could be much longer. The GM replacement part # for the Acadia, Blazer, Enclave, Traverse, XT5 and XT6 is 85158190, and 85139417 for the Colorado and Canyon. I suggest if anyone else is having this issue to call the service manager of your dealer, reference this TSB and have them order the parts in your name so you'll be notified when the pads are available.
Handwriting Font Parallel Poster Paper Font Parallel Paper Newsprint Pattern

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: 9/10/21.....Dealer replaced both front wheel brake pads today under warranty. Hopefully that will solve the problem. While there, the dealer also updated the radio software at no charge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: 9/18/2021.... The new brake pads solved the problem and the brakes work perfectly now. The radio update was actually a GM recall (N202316020) that the dealer told me about when I brought my Acadia in to have the brakes fixed. Not sure what the radio update corrected, and the service rep didn't know either. I had noticed previously that once in a while the Sirius XM radio would not load after starting the car, and the only way to get it to work was to go into the menu and "force stop" the app.... then restart it. Very annoying. Hopefully that was one of the issues that the update resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Mine did same, dealer had bulletin replaced front pads. Complete fix

1 - 8 of 8 Posts