GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was interested in if and why there is a reinforcement bar bolted to the frame on the drivers side roughly from under the brake pedal to the front of the rear wheel well. We managed to break this with a jack stand. It will not support vehicle. It is about 1 inch by 2 inch and bolted in 5 places. Dealership seams to be totally lost as to a replacement part or and info about it. There is not one one the passenger side. Any idea's?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ouch, did you have to change a tire already?

Boy, I had to dig deep to find this one! I think that this is what you are talking about...

Re: Driver side rail
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 08:28:47 PM »
And the general says.......
(1-19-2007)
Condition/Concern: The Right underbody side rail is missing from the factory or the parts department is unable to locate a replacement part in the catalog. If comparing this to another identical vehicle, some early built vehicle had the underbody side rail on both sides. At this time there has been a design change and this part is no longer used on the right side. The underbody side rail is not a structural part of the vehicle.

I also have a vague feeling I read somewhere on the forumn that they may not even be on the newer cars. I've got one of the few cars with two. I think that they were intially there to protect the gas tank and they decided it wasn't necessary

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fortunately not a tire problem. I'm a small 6'5" and had to raise the vehicle to change the oil. The rail definately doesn't have alot of strength as it is hollow. I would doubt it would stop any twist at all. It definately might be for protection of the fuel tank. I looked on the right side and there are a number of lines(4) that run along the rail and up into the right rear tire well that look like they would interfere with one on the right side. The rail snapped about one inch behind the front end of the rail. This is well in front of the fuel tank. I am tempted to realign broken rail and use good ole JB Weld unless someone shows it of having a more specific value. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts