GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has a nagging delay when accelerating from near stop“

“a real dog. Transmission problems make the drive jerky. Have been told by repair people they have other similar compalints about transmission problem. We were told car will "adjust to our driving style." What??? “

“I OWN A 2004 LEXUS RX330. SINCE I HAVE OWNED IT, THERE HAS BEEN A POWER "FADE" WHEN I MAKE SUDDEN SPEED CHANGES USUALLY FROM A SLOW DOWN

TO QUICK ACCELERATION--SAY A LANE CHANGE TO AVOID SLOWER TRAFFIC. THERE IS APPROXIMATELY 2 OR 3 SECONDS WHEN THERE IS NO RESPONSE FROM

PRESSING THE ACCELERATOR. IT FEELS LIKE ALL POWER FALLS AWAY. I AM LEFT LIKE A SITTING DUCK UNTIL THE VEHICLE DECIDES WHAT TO DO WITH MY

COMMAND. IF I AM CROSSING A MEDIAN, I MUST ALLOW FOR THIS DELAY. HOWEVER, IF I HAVE TO CHANGE LANES TO AVOID ANOTHER VEHICLE MAKING AN

UNSIGNALED TURN OR SUDDEN STOP, I AM PUTTING MYSELF AND OTHERS IN DANGER BECAUSE I CANNOT COUNT ON HAVING THE POWER TO AVOID THE

VEHICLE IN FRONT OF ME BY CHANGING LANES AND THEN I RISK AN INCIDENT IN TRYING TO MATCH THE SPEED OF THE VEHICLE THAT IS NOW BEHIND ME. I

HAVE ADDRESSED THIS WITH LEXUS ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS INCLUDING ONE TRIP WHERE I DEMANDED THAT THE MASTER MECHANIC RIDE WITH ME. HE

EXPLAINED THAT LEXUS IS AWARE AND THAT IT IS A COMPUTER PROBLEM FOR WHICH THERE IS NO PATCH AVAILABLE. AS OF TODAY, THERE IS STILL NO

CURE. THE LAST UPDATE MY VEHICLE RECEIVED WAS IN SEPT 2006.”

I came to Lexus dealer to complain about this 3 time already. They sent the tech along with me for test drive….the answers is normal.. normal…and they keep saying normal that I really disappointed about it. The other option they give me that they will try to set up the appointment for me to meet the Lexus rep,or the lexus engineer who come to the dealer every month.

1/What benefit I can get from Lexus Rep or engineer?
2/Do they have a way to fix?
3/Is Lexus working on the new update software? Or they ignore the problem (as I know there is a small % of RX 330-04 has this problem)

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
He he, we're not alone in the manufacturer trying to squeeze the most mpg's out of a fairly large vehicle. ;D Nice find craig.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had this exact same problem with a '99 Lexus GS. Dealer and Lexus acknowledged the problem and "fixed" it. Their "fix" was only a slight improvement. I found it to be a safety hazard at times. Sold the car a year later and have not bought Lexus since.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have put my 08 RX350 mildly through the paces and so far there is no objectionable lag to be found. Only lots of power. When going about 55 if I punch it a little to do a lane change or pass it responds nearly instantly and feels like it's going to throw me rite out of my seat. In all fairness, I am totally amazed at the overall lack of problems discussed on the Lexus forum that I visit (Clublexus.com). Most of the discussions are rather boring and are about modding and "mines bigger than yours" type of stuff. You know, show us a picture of your new silver RX, as if it's going to look any different than anyone else's new silver RX. There has been mention of some 2004 and earlier RX's with trans issues but it doesn't seem to gather much excitement. There have been a few posters that claim an amazing difference between their RX300, RX330 and the new 2007/2008 RX350 but I'm not in a position to know the difference. Maybe I've been visiting the wrong Lexus forum.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom my post was in no way a slam to the RX 350, more just to show people on this forum that all makes have issues to be sorted out. I'm sure that there are few problems with the Lexus as it has been in production for a while. Enjoy yours!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Craig. I didn't actually think you were slamming the RX but when I re-read my hastily written post it sure sounds like I did. Sorry about that. You've been supportive and helpful throughout my decision turmoil. I agree that all cars can have their share of problems. As I posted before, in the end I just went with the statistics. Rite now Lexus and Buick share in having the fewest repairs per 100 vehicles sold over the past three years. Since the Enclave is not to my liking I looked to the RX and pulled the trigger. For all I know my RX could turn out to be a lemon. So far, so good but I only have 110 miles on it. I will definitely post if I have problems.

I really was surprised though when I went on the Lexus forum. I've never joined in forum where there so few problems being brought up. There are a few upset owners of earlier year RX300 and 330 because as improvements were made to the trans the changes weren't always backward compatible. They are basically stuck with it. Sounds to me that at some point Lexus made a mechanical change as opposed to simply a program change. From what I gather the issue is more in hesitating if you are coasting to a near stop condition and then step on the gas. Under this condition there is a 1 to 2 second delay in response. Could also be that the 08 RX350 has more horsepower than the earlier models. No hunting issues that I've read about. So far mine doesn't produce any of these symptoms. Ok, sorry. This IS the Acadia forum.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom your post was fine. I just didn't want you to think I was slamming the Lexus. I have almost purchased one a couple of different times, but they were the LS models. I think Lexus is producing the highest quality car out there. I really doubt Buick equals Lexus in terms of total quality, but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't believe it how could a Japanese car be having problems they are perfect. :beer: Again just goes to show you everybody makes a POS every now and then.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Never going to say one's better than the others (just dumb), but Toyota/Lexus has had a RASH of issues with transmission lag and/or weird shifting in their V6/FWD combos for many years now.

The latest Avalon's have had it, to the point when they came out (2005) people would test drive a few to find the one with the "least" noticeable lag to buy. Camry's have had it. Highlanders and RX's have had it, Siennas have had it, etc. The biggest forums to see constant complaints about it for years would be Edmunds.

With Toyota too, it seems to be an odd programming issue largely, but just goes to show you GM was not and is not the only one with such "responsive" issues, and actually hasn't been for as long--they just seem to be having more trouble than most acclimating to getting their new 6-speeds programmed properly. When you've been addicted to perfecting 4-speeds since the beginning of time, starting with a clean new design that has several benefits still can be hard to master immediately--no clearer seen then the stages of re-tunes that have been and continue to happen since intro.

But again, it clearly is not just a GM issue, and I'm suprised no one else was already knowledgeable about it as far as Toyota/Lexus and their many years of issues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My folks just bought a new Avalon. Granted not a Lexus - but it is the top of the line Toyata. I didn't check closely but my dad said it had a 5 speed tranny. He was also making comments about gear shifting that was handling different than previous vehicles that he had owned. Typical comments I hear on this site - radical down shifting on grades or during rapid acceleration.

I've started getting used to the shifting, both for normal driving (I live in a hilly area) and quick acceleration. I know there are are also a lot of comments one way or the other about gear shifts.

I feel like I've gotten used to it and try to drive accordingly, but my concern is this. If you look at the big picture, every time a transmission shifts it's one shift closer to failing. The old trannies took 3 shifts to get to 60+ mph - the Acadia takes 6. And then if you include all the downshifts for hills/mountains/small inclines/etc I have to wonder how long the tranny is expected to last?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts