GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles do have on the vehicle and what are you running for oil in the engine?

I'm curious, because in any GM I have purchased new it seems as though the rings don't seat till around 10k - 15k depending on the engine. Both my in-line six in the '03 Enovy and the V8 in the '05 Denali took forever for the engine to break-in (rings to seat). Once 10k - 15k passed gas mileage really increased. So far I'm seeing the same thing in the Acadia. I know that running the Amsoil and their oil filter gained me a mile per gallon on the highway.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Re: For those complaining of bad MPG...

I wonder if the synthetic is slowing the break in period,
as the engine parts are not "wearing in" as fast?

I have about 2000 miles on my 2009 SLE, FWD, and got 23 mpg on the highway,
doing 65 - 75 mpg. I can't complain.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Yea Copper..,

I'm wondering what mine will get (mpg) in future months. I think I can easily do 24 mpg (highway) doing 65-70 on a brand new car. I varied my speeds / rpm on this road trip and I was doing around 22.9 or slightly better with an ave speed of 74+. Even my old dog '87 Blazer w/ a 2.8 V-6 couldn't do this well at those speeds! Gotta love what technology has brought us in two decades.

Smooth[/color]

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

I changed with dino at 3000, then at 6000 switched to Mobil 1. I got the May 8th flash done a month ago and have gotten 20.0 mpg mixed (avg speed 38.8 ) and 21.9 out on the road running 73 mph.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

Wow, 10K to 15K miles to break in? I don't drive that much, so it will take me over a year and a half to get to 10K miles, on my Enclave. I hope it's not THAT long before it starts getting better mileage. Mine averages about 18 in combination driving, but on just the freeway, it's about 21 to 22 at 75 MPH or around. This last tankfull, I reset the average mileage counter, and will leave it alone till next fill-up, so we'll see what I'm actually getting. (usually have reset everytime I start out)

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

I have not been complaining about gas mileage. I don't expect Honda Accord Mileage out of a 5,000lb people mover like the Acadia.

I have just over 15000 miles on mine now. I was running Valvoline Durablend for 12,900 miles. I Switched to Mobil 1 extended life at that point, and will change it at 17000 and have it tested. I had the Durablend analyzed after 4100 miles and the oil was rapidly breaking down just as RAT407 had mentioned in other threads about his oils. I have taken the gas Reciepts that I have held onto, I don't have all of them, but I put them in an Excel Spreadsheet to see how MPG's are going. Just for curiosity sake really. The spreadsheet shows when I changed to Synthetic, and when I did the May8th flash. The high numbers after the synthetic are reflective a 35% increase in Highway driving during those times. I have only had the flash done for a little over a week, so only 1 true fillup since then.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

09Enclave said:
Wow, 10K to 15K miles to break in? I don't drive that much, so it will take me over a year and a half to get to 10K miles, on my Enclave. I hope it's not THAT long before it starts getting better mileage. Mine averages about 18 in combination driving, but on just the freeway, it's about 21 to 22 at 75 MPH or around. This last tankfull, I reset the average mileage counter, and will leave it alone till next fill-up, so we'll see what I'm actually getting. (usually have reset everytime I start out)
My wife as 5000 miles on here Torrent she bought in July 2006!

Do a hand calculation on your MPG for more accurate readings. I always have small discrepancies with my DIC MPG vs Hand MPG.
Not major differences, but my last one said 17.8 DIC, but 18.17 by hand. Most difference I have seen is -.75

·
Registered
428 Posts

My 08 FWD SLE now has 24000 miles on it. I have used Mobil 1 oil since the first oil change at 3000 miles. I average around 22mpg. I cant complain, I sold off a Z71 Suburban when I bought the Acadia and could only get about 15mpg out of it. The Acadia is a huge improvement on gas mileage.

·
Registered
60 Posts

I have 3,000 miles on my AWD '08 and the MPG is PATHETIC!!!!!! I am embarrassed to only get 17.3 mpg. Heck my last two Yukon got almost as good mileage. What the heck is happening???????????

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

turfster26 said:
I have 3,000 miles on my AWD '08 and the MPG is PATHETIC!!!!!! I am embarrassed to only get 17.3 mpg. Heck my last two Yukon got almost as good mileage. What the heck is happening???????????
As has been discussed in other threads.
Thread #1
Thread #2
(I might merge these later after looking through them some more, there is no shortage of MPG threads here.)[/color] Check out these threads.

MPG will vary for several reasons.
AWD is estimated 1 MPG less then FWD
The break-in period people have discussed, Some people said they saw increase after 5000 miles or so.
The type of area you drive obviously plays a factor.
BUT most importantly is PERSONAL DRIVING HABITS, Raven was able to boost her MPG above 22mpg just by changing her habits. I am not trying to acuse you of poor driving or anything, just saying there is going to be a difference amongst drivers. But your 17.3 is on target/point with most of the others on here it seems. Not to mention, I believe that is what the sticker said.
Key word in your post about the Yukons, was ALMOST. Meaning they didn't get 17.3 so that is a positive thing, that your getting more now.
Hope it goes up for you, but this is a terrific vehicle but it has some weight.

Now back to the main topic.......
Future posters, please try to keep this thread on topic. No conversations about how bad your mileage is. Just stick to the main post. If you want to discuss your unhappiness about your MPG, visit the other threads mentioned above. That will keep this on topic. Thanks.
3rd Timer said:
How many miles do have on the vehicle and what are you running for oil in the engine?

·
Registered
60 Posts

bonk1313 said:
Future posters, please try to keep this thread on topic. No conversations about how bad your mileage is. Just stick to the main post. If you want to discuss your unhappiness about your MPG, visit the other threads mentioned above. That will keep this on topic. Thanks.

I thought this tread WAS about "For those complaining of bad MPG"?

BTW: You are correct with my driving habits as they relate to the Acadia. This is my 5th GMC SUV and although I really enjoy 90% of this vehicle I find myself having to really push the drivetrain to get any real acceleration out of it. So my mpg may be a bit below noral just because of that.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

Wife's Acadia averaged 19.1 to 19.7 city and 22-23mpg highway when FIRST drove off the lot. NO fast starts and NO fast stops for the first 500-1000 miles. First oil change at 2300 miles. She still gets the same MPG using paper and pencil today with or w/o some luggage! That is summer condition driving with Temp 60F+.

Both our driving habits are not to slow and not to fast, but just right. However you want to interpret it to mean.
Run and stop, no good for mpg. To much passing gear, not good either. My other car will easily get 2-5 mpg less when hard on it when in the mood. You know what I mean? All in driving habit for the day or for the week.

Go back and check whether you do jack rabbit starts and sliding stops too! Again depending on my mood, I do all the above mentioned. When I want mpg my habits change. Pretty simple.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

turfster26 said:
bonk1313 said:

I thought 3rd timer was wanting to know what Oil your using, what your current total miles are, and what your MPG is now. Has it improved with break in?
If I am wrong 3rd timer, please clarify. If this is another topic about bad MPG in general, then it should probably be merged with the rest of them. :-\

turfster26 said:
I find myself having to really push the drivetrain to get any real acceleration out of it. So my mpg may be a bit below noral just because of that.
open to thoughts on this comment..... Does anyone (hmmmmm Geohawk) have access to the shift parameters for the 09's, similar to the new MAY8th Flash for the 07 and 08? Could the 09's still be programmed with a more Fuel friendly programming that the rest of us had? Would it be possible to have the May8th flash done on an 09?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

bonk1313 said:
open to thoughts on this comment..... Does anyone (hmmmmm Geohawk) have access to the shift parameters for the 09's, similar to the new MAY8th Flash for the 07 and 08? Could the 09's still be programmed with a more Fuel friendly programming that the rest of us had? Would it be possible to have the May8th flash done on an 09?
lzwhb2, our resident GM powertrain insider, posted that the 09 TCM programming was entirely different from the '07-'08-'08 update programming, in order to take advantage of the different/wider powerband/torque curve of the direct injection engine.  I think he said the May 8th flash would essentially be pointless to do on an '09.

On to the other question of the shift parameters, here's what I can find but I'm sure its a greatly simplified description of the actual programming (note what I highlighted about the cruise control) FWIW, this table is the same for the 2008s and 2009s, so it really doesn't answer any questions:
  :cheers:

Table 1: Shift Speed Variables
Shift @ TP (Throttle Position)
km/h
mph
OSS (RPM)

1-2 @ 12.5

2-3 @ 12.5

3-4 @ 12.5

4-5 @ 12.5

5-6 @ 12.5

6-5 @ 12.5

5-4 @ 12.5

4-3 @ 12.5

3-2 @ 12.5

2-1 @ 12.5

1-2 @ 25

2-3 @ 25

3-4 @ 25

4-5 @ 25

5-6 @ 25

6-5 @ 25

5-4 @ 25

4-3 @ 25

3-2 @ 25

2-1 @ 25

Note: Shift speed points are affected by many different vehicle and transmission operating conditions. The table above represents shift speed points calibrated at specific throttle angles during normal operating conditions and a temperature range between 0-130°C (32-266°F). These shift speed points are also based on an effective final drive ratio of 3.16, and assume a production-intent tire size. The table below illustrates a number of different variables that influence these shift speed points. Based on a given operating condition, these variables may override the normal shift speed points. To assist in monitoring the different variables, the respective scan tool data parameter is also listed.

Shift Speed Variables Scan Tool Parameter
Shift Speed Variables

Calc. Throttle Position
Calc. Throttle Position (TP) is one of the most important inputs in the transmission shift pattern logic. A very low TP angle will impact the shift pattern by causing upshifts. A very high TP angle will impact the shift pattern by causing downshifts.

Commanded Gear
Based on numerous inputs, the transmission control module (TCM) selects the optimum gear. Once the TCM commands a gear, the pressure control solenoids are activated to hydraulically control engagement of the proper clutch.

Cruise
When cruise control is activated, the shift pattern is altered to reduce excessive shifting.

ECT
Shift speed points may be offset to enhance engine coolant temperature (ECT) warm-up. Also, operating the vehicle at higher engine speeds will reduce the time to warm the ECT and the TFT.

Engine Speed
To protect against an over speed condition, engine speed is monitored. If the engine speed becomes too high, an upshift will occur.

Engine Torque
Engine torque is used to predict vehicle operating conditions, in order to determine the optimum gear and provide for a smoother ride.

IMS
The internal mode switch (IMS) indicates the position of the transmission manual valve. The operator controls this valve by moving the gear range selector. Therefore, the possible gears may be limited by this valve position.

TCC PC Sol. Duty Cycle
The torque converter clutch (TCC) pressure control (PC) solenoid duty cycle indicates when the TCC has been engaged.

TCC Slip Speed
The TCC Slip Speed indicates the difference between engine speed and transmission input speed. The TCC is locked when slip speed is at or near zero, and may be controlling slip when at lower slip speeds.

TFP Switch 1, 3, 4 or 5
The transmission fluid pressure (TFP) switch is used to indicate if fluid pressure to a specific clutch has been applied or released.

Trans. Fluid Temp.
A lower TFT will extend shift speeds, a higher TFT, or hot mode condition, will invoke shorter shift speeds in order to establish a shift pattern required to cool the TFT.

Transmission Hot Mode
If the TFT becomes too hot, a hot mode shift pattern is used. The hot mode shift pattern will invoke lower shift speed points to establish a shift pattern necessary to cool the TFT.

Transmission OSS
The transmission output speed sensor (OSS) is one of the most important inputs into the transmission shift pattern logic. A very low transmission output speed will impact the shift pattern by causing downshifts. A very high transmission output speed will impact the shift pattern by causing upshifts.

·
Registered
912 Posts

Well our new 09 SLE trailered a 3000LB load with the trailer and the cargo box and 6 passengers etc and we averaged 24MPG driving on our trip from Oct 10th to the 26th. We only drove between 55 and 65 MPH mind you but the thing only had 480 kilometers on the clock the day we left.

·
Registered
370 Posts

I'll reach 10k on my drive home today. Would love to see my 15 average go up, but still very happy with the Acadia.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

turfster26 said:
This confused me also, so I added the first line of the post into the thread title of the first post.

I can say driving habits do vary. In the Acadia, Mrs. Blue is an 18.x average driver and I am a 19.x (for some reason, 280+/- HP is a lot more fun with a clutch & two extra cylinders in a Toyota than an Acadia ;)).

We are going with Mobile 1 at 3K miles soon, more for quality of lubricant than MPG concerns. Seems like gas is "next to nothing" as it returns to close to $2/gallon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
2007 AWD
19,000 miles on the vehicle.
For the past 10k miles, I have manually tracked the mileage. I am averaging 16.7 mpg (total miles / total gas receipt gallons).
Best tank was 21mpg.
DIC avg about 26 mph.
I accelerate a bit heavy, but I don't think excessive.
I have not had the 'May 08 update'.
Approx. 6k between each oil change. Dealer uses Castrol GTX 10W30

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
For those still curious about MPG, I just achieved 26 MPG on a 120 trip - pure highway - north to south jersey. DIC quite acurate as I confirmed with a manual calculation after refill. I intentionally drove it fairly easily - 65 MPH or so. Point is this is exceptional MPG for a vehicle this size. I thought this would be of interest to some as price per gallon continues to rise. Happy Memorial Day to all.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a new 2009 Enclave FWD with 306 miles (still breaking it in). On the first fill-up of 87 octane from the dealer (with the factory dino oil), I averaged about 13.8 MPG. I did the second fill-up with 92 octane gas and reset the DIC (MPG, trip odometers, etc.), and averaged 22 MPG on the freeway, no more than 60 MPH. When I added in-town gas mileage, it went down to about 19.5 MPG. I imagine stop-and-go traffic will bring it down further.

I'm still breaking in my Enclave, but once I get about 2000 miles I'm going to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. That should give better protection/slightly higher mileage. With the direct injection engine that operates under high compression, the 92 gas seems to make it run better and I seem to get better MPG, offsetting the slightly higher cost of 92 vs. 87. Don't use Amsoil or Royal Purple - although I like these oils and used them in the past, they are NOT API certified and could void your warranty.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts