GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove an Outlook with DVD and sunroof Saturday. I am going to order an Acadia or Enclave this week.

The flip down screen of the DVD was 100% in the way -- totally blocking my view of the rear window. I assume its the way I sit combined with my height.

Question: Do you think if I order a lambda without the moonroof I will have a better, less blocked, view? The long discussion "DVD systems - I am at a Loss" discussed this but I couldn't figure out the answer. I am considering ordering the headrest system if so, but my wife really wants to control what the munchkins see from up front.

Yes, I did see the admin's great rearview mirror pictures (shown in the link below)

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1898.msg25148#msg25148

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an 07 SLT2 with sunroofs and factory DVD and adjust the screen at a tilt to get better rear view. I also have to sink down in the seat at times for a better view. I wish we would have gotten the head rest units because my 2 kids always want something different. Today it was Mickey vs Shark Tales. Shark tales won going and Mickey for coming home.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think you will have to personally sit in the vehicle to see if it is acceptable to you. As you
say, your height and seating position will influence this, but in the end it will come down to
whether or not you feel you have enough visibility.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
linuxtwit said:
I think you will have to personally sit in the vehicle to see if it is acceptable to you..
I would love to have the chance sit in a non-sunroof acadia. The problem is that no dealer I could find carries an Acadia/Enclave/Outlook with DVD, but without a Sunroof (so I can't try.).

It was a "total eclipse". A perfect alignment. The entire rear window of the Outlook was blocked except for the sides.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If its blocking the mirror entirely now, I'm not sure that the non-sunroof version is
going to make that big a difference to you. When I was testing the Acadia, I didn't
notice a huge difference between the two. I'm short though, and either version really
didn't block my rear view all that much. The non sunroof should help some, but I
dunno if it will be enough in your case.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have the DVD with sunroof. It blocks some of the rear view but in no way does it block out all of the view. I can tell if there is a car on my tail or not which is all I need to know. I am 6 feet tall BTW.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have a DVD with no sunroof and this past weekend was my first road trip with the DVD in use. I can see it slightly in the rear-view mirror, but it is not in the way of being able to see what I need to see. I also have mirrors on both sides of the car that I use. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Keith said:
I have the DVD with sunroof. It blocks some of the rear view but in no way does it block out all of the view. I can tell if there is a car on my tail or not which is all I need to know. I am 6 feet tall BTW.
:ditto:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm 6'4" and I can still see a little below and to each side of the DVD player. I can also see both my kids having the time of their lives watching a movie on a long trip. As for the driving, I used to drive for UPS so I'm used to using the side mirrors to see what's behind.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Everyone's comfort level is different, my husband had to really try every vehicle we were considering with/without sunroofs with/without DVD because the first couple drives we had were sunroof/DVD combos and we were not happy with the view. Without the sunroofs, it was negligible, though it did block a little. My husband said it was OK enough to still keep the Acadia on our list. But several other vehicles have sunroofs and factory DVD's that don't block the view. Just depends on what you want. I think it could have been designed better. The DVD unit is quite "thick" in the Acadia and hangs down fairly far from the headliner. Other cars not so much. I don't know how much of the unit is embedded in the headliner in my Odyssey, but it does not protrude as far from the ceiling as in the Lambdas.

But just like you, this was a hot issue for us.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Let's be honest.

Do you really expect to get a drop down system and not haveit block your view? It has to be expected.

Maybe other makes offer smaller screens then the Acadia. Not having a sunroof won't make a difference.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Do you really expect to get a drop down system and not haveit block your view? It has to be expected.
Joe, it doesn't have to be that way. It is an element of design and engineering. I just checked my Odyssey. The factory screen measures 9" on the diagonal, 8" across. The unit hangs 3/4" down from the headliner. It appears that most of the unit is buried in the headliner. And IF it blocks any of my view, it is only about one "defrost line" (the black defrost elements on the rear window) which is hardly anything at all. This is without any screen tilting or goofing with my position.

So, I really think this is something that could have been designed better in the Acadia, for my comfort level anyway. I am sure not all would agree but that is my opinion. Some don't care of they can't see out the rear window - after market units are getting bigger and bigger and would obviously block most if not all of the rear window. A lot of people have tall passengers in the back, headrests can be in the way, towing a tall trailer, all these things can affect your rear view.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The headrests in the 3rd row seat block more of my view than the DVD screen, I actually keep them down when there is no one sitting back there, much better view out the rear window.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just came from the dealership. I saw the DVD in the headrests in an Outlook and a Vue. They are options that the dealers add if you order them(didn't get a price). Each DVD is top-loading, and each is separate, so 2 films can be watched at the same time! The headrests did not seem bigger than normal, so the back window is not blocked at all. Something to consider!

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Mama2girls+ababy! said:
Joe, it doesn't have to be that way. It is an element of design and engineering. I just checked my Odyssey. The factory screen measures 9" on the diagonal, 8" across. The unit hangs 3/4" down from the headliner. It appears that most of the unit is buried in the headliner. And IF it blocks any of my view, it is only about one "defrost line" (the black defrost elements on the rear window) which is hardly anything at all. This is without any screen tilting or goofing with my position.

So, I really think this is something that could have been designed better in the Acadia, for my comfort level anyway. I am sure not all would agree but that is my opinion. Some don't care of they can't see out the rear window - after market units are getting bigger and bigger and would obviously block most if not all of the rear window. A lot of people have tall passengers in the back, headrests can be in the way, towing a tall trailer, all these things can affect your rear view.
Does the Odessey have rear HVAC in the roof?

That is the only other reason I could think as to why it hangs much lower.

The dimensions you took on yours, how does that compare to the Acadia..larger/smaller?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
On mine, with no sun roof, I have almost no blocked vision out the rear. I did some playing with the rear view mirror and realized that by pivoting the mount closest to the window you can actually move the mirror up and down quite a bit. If I move it up the whole way, I notice that I get about 50% of my rear view blocked. By swinging the mirror down as far as it will go, I get my view back. Hopefully that made sense.

It could be that this has nothing to do with your issues and it might be my seating position helps me too. Good luck to all with getting the vision they want.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Does the Odessey have rear HVAC in the roof?

That is the only other reason I could think as to why it hangs much lower.

The dimensions you took on yours, how does that compare to the Acadia..larger/smaller?
I don't have dimensions on the Acadia screen - I looked around and couldn't find it. I found from my measuring before that the Acadia Unit drops about 2" from the headliner. The sunroof ones were then 2" closer to the floor than in the non-sunroof.

My Odyssey has all kinds of HVAC vents in the back, rear climate controls in the ceiling, etc. it has the sunroof in the front, obviously no panoramic in the back like the Acadia. But the front one retracts all the way back, right over where the unit is mounted.

On mine, with no sun roof, I have almost no blocked vision out the rear. I did some playing with the rear view mirror and realized that by pivoting the mount closest to the window you can actually move the mirror up and down quite a bit. If I move it up the whole way, I notice that I get about 50% of my rear view blocked. By swinging the mirror down as far as it will go, I get my view back. Hopefully that made sense.
Nice to know you can keep tweaking until you come up with a position that works for you!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts