GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone upgraded the fog lights to one of the ultra white/HID type intensity bulbs?

The brightness of the stock FOB lights could be better with upgraded bulbs...plus the color would better match the HID headlights.

Has anyone done this?

How easy was it?

What type of bulbs did you use?

Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
I love the idea, but I know that to upgrade the regular lights to HiD - it would have required the addition of a thingymabob (capacitor ?) which apparantly was pretty tough to do. In short, I don't know if just changing the bulb would do it. Would love to find out though.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
The OP probaly means changing the bulb to an Ultra White bulb.

Not really and HID or Xenon but just a bulb the burns whiter then the yellowy halogen.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NY JOE...that's it...I guess I wasn't clear...sorry. I meant the ultra white bulbs from PIIA or one of the other manufacturers. I guess what I should of asked is if anyone has simply changed out the fog light bulbs.

Having HID Fog Lights would really be something...but I don't think we are going to see that anytime soon.

So the ultra white bulbs really do make a big difference...I was hoping someone has changed them and to find out how difficult it was to do.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found out Sylvania has a replacement/ upgrade bulb (5202) I haven't found it yet.
Living in upstate NY: white fog lights don't cut it a person needs yellow.
I'm going to have the front facia cut at the opening below the stock "fog lights" and install Piaa 510 round lights.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I know that on the German auto side of the house that the OSRAM vs Sylvania... the Osram bulb is a pure bright white vs the Sylvania which is more of a "blueish" white. Same company, one is offered in the US vs Europe.

I changed out my stock fogs bulbs for "Xenonmatch" from Hoen they look just like my HIDS on my GTI. They might know how to acquire bulbs for your Acadia.

Good luck!

http://www.hoen-usa.com/

·
Registered
125 Posts
RedRocker said:
Has anyone upgraded the fog lights to one of the ultra white/HID type intensity bulbs?

The brightness of the stock FOB lights could be better with upgraded bulbs...plus the color would better match the HID headlights.

Has anyone done this?

How easy was it?

What type of bulbs did you use?

Thanks

I bought these Putco bulbs.

http://putco.com/product/A002/

I got the Ion Spark White, hoping to get a whiter light to go with the HIDs. I'm not sure they changed a lot.

To change them out you have to get behind the fender liner. I was able to turn the wheel, remove the screws on the edge of the liner, and pull it out enough to change the bulbs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
These are what I found for Acadia bulb replacements specs:

ACADIA 07-09(non-HID)
Lowbeam[/color]
H11
Highbeam[/color]
9005/HB3
Foglight[/color]
H16(9009)/5202

ACADIA 07-09(with-HID)
Lowbeam[/color]
D1S
Highbeam[/color]
9005/HB3
Foglight[/color]
H16(9009)/5202

If the bulb brand does not matter to you these are the bulbs you should ask for at your local auto parts supplier
In my opinion this info should be published in the owners manual

*key to remember that HID bulbs come in different Kelvins so matching the kelvins is important for light output ie, 6000k driver-side should matched with 6000k passenger-side for Lowbeam headlights.
*When changing halogen headlights you should change them in pairs due to the fact that they loose their brightness overtime and check the beam pattern or aiming of your lights periodically so that you are getting the correct amount of light illuminating the road ahead.
*best performing foglight colored bulbs are yellow they cut through fog and inclement weather better than standard halogen and xenon gas halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
423 Posts
kantkwit,
how do those bulbs look? are they cheesy or look brighter?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts