GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, sorry for misleading and making it sound like i have done that, but i had to get your interest. plus, how hard can it be. the enclave uses the fog lamps as daytime running lights, what would it take for us to get them same. i wonder if it is the switch or a relay. geo[/color], do you know? i would love to do this and will try to work on it soon, but i want to get my HID kit first. i think that would be pretty coo.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I put this kit in my Sierra to bring the foglights on with the automatic headlights. I switched it from my low-beams which are also my DRLs, so the foglights come on with the DRLs. Actually, on the Sierra since the low-beams are always on, even with the high beams, the fogs are always on. You could use the same relay and harness on the Acadia to make the fogs come on with the DRLs.

http://www.mrtaillight.com/product_info.php?cPath=609_613&products_id=677

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah, but i am more looking to have the fog lamps only for the DRLs. then when the lights auto come on, they (fog lamps) would turn off and the low beams come on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, in the Acadia, the fog lights do not come on with automatic headlights - you have to switch manually the fog lights "on" each time the auto-headlights cycle on? or is there a setting that allows the fog lights to automatically turn on and off in sync with the auto-headlights?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Schram said:
okay, sorry for misleading and making it sound like i have done that, but i had to get your interest. plus, how hard can it be. the enclave uses the fog lamps as daytime running lights, what would it take for us to get them same. i wonder if it is the switch or a relay. geo[/color], do you know? i would love to do this and will try to work on it soon, but i want to get my HID kit first. i think that would be pretty coo.
You might send a PM to Patman75, he seems to be the guru on Acadia lighting. I don't know whether new wiring would be in order or what, but he would probably know.

So, in the Acadia, the fog lights do not come on with automatic headlights - you have to switch manually the fog lights "on" each time the auto-headlights cycle on? or is there a setting that allows the fog lights to automatically turn on and off in sync with the auto-headlights?
The fog lamps have to be turned on manually each time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might send a PM to Patman75, he seems to be the guru on Acadia lighting. I don't know whether new wiring would be in order or what, but he would probably know. DONE

earlier kantkwit gave a link to doing what you want to do. i am sure that you could get it to work on your acadia.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Schram said:
the enclave uses the fog lamps as daytime running lights,
To clarify... The Enclave has a dedicated DRL next to the projector foglamp. They are not the same.

The Acadida Foglamps are not designed meet the photometry requirements for DRL. Just make sure NHSTA does not inspect your vehicle. ;)

To actually make your Foglamp your DRL....hhmmmm.....On the Halogen Acadia the DRL is the Lowbeam and is run at 70% voltage. I think that when you install an HID kit they disable the DRL becuase of the 70% voltage drop.

I don't have a good easy answer. The DRL and the lowbeam are on the wire and voltage is controled by the BCM. I sure someone can make or have a relay/switch that can send power to the foglamp when there is 70% voltage and send power to the Headlamp when sending 100% voltage.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, you are the man :thumb:. i was thinking the same thing about a relay with the voltage drop, but that would require at least two relay, which shouldn't be too bad. i was just hoping that it was controlled by the bcm and programming would take care of it with no bulb differences. well, it is something that i must now think about. i dont think running the fog lamp at 70% should cause any problems, here we go unless someone else has a better idea.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know about previous posts concerning the operation. See below.

Fog Lamps
With both the ignition switch in the RUN position and the park lamps or low beam head lamps ON, the fog lights will illuminate when the driver presses the fog lamp switch. The FOG LP fuse in the underhood fuse block supplies battery positive voltage to the fog lamp relay. With the headlamp switch is in either the park or headlamp position and the fog lamp switch is pressed, the body control module (BCM) will energize the fog lamp relay control circuit. The current flow is from the fog lamp relay to both front fog lamps and to ground G103 or G102. The state of the fog lamps, either ON or OFF, will remain the same until the fog lamp switch is pressed again, or the ignition switch is cycled OFF and ON. Fog lamp operation will be cancelled whenever the park lamps are turned OFF or the high beam headlights have been selected.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) with HID
The daytime running lamps (DRL) will illuminate continuously when the following conditions are met:

The ignition is in the RUN or CRANK position.
The shift lever is out of the PARK position.
The high and low beam headlamps are OFF.
The ambient light sensor is used to monitor outside lighting conditions. The ambient light sensor provides a voltage signal that will vary between 0.2 and 4.9 volts depending on outside lighting conditions. The body control module (BCM) provides a 5-volt reference signal to the ambient light sensor. The ambient light sensor is provided ground at G301. The BCM monitors the ambient light sensor signal circuit to determine if outside lighting conditions are correct for either daytime running lights (DRL) or automatic lamp control (ALC) when the headlamp switch is in the AUTO position. In daylight conditions, the BCM will command the DRLs ON by applying ground to the left and right DRL relays via separate left and right DRL relay control circuits. When the BCM applies ground to the relay control circuits, the left and right DRL relay coils energize causing both relay switch contacts to close. With the left and right DRL relay switch contacts closed, battery voltage flows through the left and right DRL fuses to the left and right DRL lamps. Any function or condition that turns on the headlamps will cancel DRL operation.

When the DRLs are active and a turn signal function is operated, the DRL associated with the turn signal lamp being commanded ON will cause the DLR lamp the turn OFF. An example of this would be when a left turn signal lamp is turn ON, the left DRL turns OFF. The left DRL will remain OFF until the left turn signal lamp is turned OFF.

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) without HID
The daytime running lamps (DRL) will illuminate the right and left low beam headlamps continuously. The DRLs will operate when the following conditions are met:

The ambient light sensor is used to monitor outside lighting conditions. The ambient light sensor provides a voltage signal that will vary between 0.2 and 4.9 volts depending on outside lighting conditions. The body control module (BCM) provides a 5-volt reference signal to the ambient light sensor. The ambient light sensor is provided ground at G301. The BCM monitors the ambient light sensor signal circuit to determine if outside lighting conditions are correct for either daytime running lights (DRL) or automatic lamp control (ALC) when the headlamp switch is in the AUTO position. In daylight conditions, the BCM will command the DRLs ON by applying ground to the left and right DRL relays via separate left and right DRL relay control circuits. When the BCM applies ground to the relay control circuits, the left and right DRL relay coils energize causing both relay switch contacts to close. With the left and right DRL relay switch contacts closed, battery voltage flows through the left and right DRL fuses to the left and right DRL lamps or low beam headlamps depending on the vehicles option content. Any function or condition that turns on the headlamps will cancel DRL operation.

Hope this is a little helpful.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That was very insightful as it pertains to the details and complexities of the volts and wiring, but we are still wondering if the lighting can safely and reliably be modified or rewired to make the fog/driving lamps the DRL's, instead of the headlights?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
GmMachine said:
Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) with HID
The daytime running lamps (DRL) will illuminate continuously when the following conditions are met:

I don't know about everyone elses vehicle, but our DRLs come on as soon as the engine is started, while the trans is still in Park.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Geo,

When I first read the "conditions", I interpreted them more as "and/or", not as if all had to be current conditions.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Registered
16 Posts
I currently have my fogs with 12K HIDs as my running lights and then at ight the fogs automatically come switch to angel eyes when the lights come on but here are the pros and cons

Pros > Looks good, not damaging my headlamp HIDs with the 70% voltage that they put out, like the whole 12k purple look on the black carbon, and Auto fogs

Con > Lights on the dash comes on and the parklamps (worried about burning out), wiring is a lot of fun but once you get it done its well worth it

Heres a brief description of what i did

-pull the DRL fuse out, now we have the DRLs eliminated
-find ambient light sensor output wire cut, add a relay with an 87a and wire the relay wike you would any other, and send the outputs as 87 to the other side of wire u cut from the ambient light sensor and the 87a to the fog lights

this is a basic brief description it gets more complaicated though

·
Registered
21 Posts
Odd, When in park and running during the day the drl's should be on located inboard of the low beam.When shifted out of park and the headlamp switch is set to auto. At night, with remote start, only the park lamps come on until the doors are unlocked then the headlamps come on. I have the factory HID system and this is how it works on mine. I understand the BUICK has a slightly different operation. Getting back to switching the DRL's to the fog lamps, I don't see a big issue with that. The DRL'S are operated by 2 seperate relays controlled by by the BCM. The bcm supplies ground to pins 85 on both relays. The BCM X423 purple wire feeds the ground to the DRL relay#2 and X78 D-BL controls the relay #1. Pullling these 2 relays would disable the factory DRL'S. Using one of the 2 ground ouputs from the drl pin 85, you could in theory jumper to this ground input to pin 85 on the Fog lamp relay. It also uses a ground supplied by the BCM on pin x411 dr-gn and white. Or even easier, jumper on of the 2 bcm outputs from the drls straight over to the x411 dr-grn and white wire for the fog. When the key is put on and the vehicle is shited out of park, the bcm will supply ground to the 2 outputs for the drl system which of course now is wired to the input for the fog lamps so voila...you have fogs as DRL'S. When the headlamps come on the BCM stop suppling ground to the DRL'S output so in relation....the fogs go out. You still don't lose the ability to turn the fogs on manualy.

Any thoughts from anyone else. This should work. I can give it a go onr night and let people know. Should just take a few minutes to jumper quickly for a test in the under hood relay center.

·
Registered
156 Posts
GmMachine said:
Odd, When in park and running during the day the drl's should be on located inboard of the low beam.When shifted out of park and the headlamp switch is set to auto. At night, with remote start, only the park lamps come on until the doors are unlocked then the headlamps come on. I have the factory HID system and this is how it works on mine. I understand the BUICK has a slightly different operation. Getting back to switching the DRL's to the fog lamps, I don't see a big issue with that. The DRL'S are operated by 2 seperate relays controlled by by the BCM. The bcm supplies ground to pins 85 on both relays. The BCM X423 purple wire feeds the ground to the DRL relay#2 and X78 D-BL controls the relay #1. Pullling these 2 relays would disable the factory DRL'S. Using one of the 2 ground ouputs from the drl pin 85, you could in theory jumper to this ground input to pin 85 on the Fog lamp relay. It also uses a ground supplied by the BCM on pin x411 dr-gn and white. Or even easier, jumper on of the 2 bcm outputs from the drls straight over to the x411 dr-grn and white wire for the fog. When the key is put on and the vehicle is shited out of park, the bcm will supply ground to the 2 outputs for the drl system which of course now is wired to the input for the fog lamps so voila...you have fogs as DRL'S. When the headlamps come on the BCM stop suppling ground to the DRL'S output so in relation....the fogs go out. You still don't lose the ability to turn the fogs on manualy.

Any thoughts from anyone else. This should work. I can give it a go onr night and let people know. Should just take a few minutes to jumper quickly for a test in the under hood relay center.
GM
WOW, my head is spinning after reading that a couple times over but, by golly, I think I follow it, and it makes sense. Heck yeah, give it a try and if it works I would do that for my vehicle when it finally arrives. Thanks for that advise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had few minutes to kill so I went out the garage to see. It turns out that my DRL do come on when the vehicle is running in park and light is applied to the sensor on the dash. The problem with a quick pin out check is that the relay for the fog lamps is in the under hood electrical center and the relays for the DRL's are located in the passenger compartment relay center. Not as easy as I thought. It would take a brave soul to remove the DRL relays and to disable the and cross the wires at the BCM.

See the following.
Conditions for Running the DTC
The body control module (BCM) receives a signal from the ambient light sensor indicating a low or high ambient outside light level. Under daylight conditions the BCM grounds the DRL relay control circuit energizing the DRL relay. The now closed relay supplies voltage to the DRLs. Any time the headlamps are illuminated the DRL will not illuminate.

See the following BCM PIN OUTS....

On BCM X4 connector

pin11 0.35 D-GN/WH circuit 1317
Fog Lamp Relay Control (T96)

On x7 pin 8 0.35 d-bl circuit 645.
DRL Lamp relay feed control.

In theory crossing these 2 wires should accomplish what you are asking for I guess. This is only for information purposes. I do not suggest any one who has no background in this sort of thing to attempt it. It could cause serious damage to your vehicle if not done properly and correct voltage readings are not verified before attempting this sort of thing.

I will however give it a shot and let you guys know what happens some time in the near future.

Good luck everyone.

GM

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used to have a trailblazer and we had the same desire to change from low beams to fogs.
GM is right, it is a BCM driven option and it cannot be done.
We had some creative members re-wire their whole headlight wiring harness, but it was too much work for what was accomplished.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Need help with DRL

MERGED YOUR POST [/color] BONK1313[/color]

Okay, so I don't know if this topic has been covered, or if it is even possible. I have an slt2 w/o HID, and i just bought a HID Kit. I was wondering if there is a way to make my highbeams my DRL and not my low beams. I don't want my HIDs on all the time, something about that just kinda bothers me. Any help would be great. Is it just switching some wires, or am i going to have to do some crazy work. Also if switching the DRL is not possible, is there a way to disable the DRL perm. and keep the auto light system working? Semper......

CHANGE 22 Found the topic...SEMPER FI

·
Registered
27 Posts
okay.....jesus.....so how do i just disable my DRL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts