GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE: per the message from Joe below, I went and reviewed the Britax documentation and should not have jacked up the base. I got some bad advice, and while this was pretty solid, Britax does say you should not have the base off the seat. I am removing those pics, with the exception of where I protected the seat and headrest from the buckle.

You can see the picture below what I have done: I took a pink pool float, which I sliced open and formed it around the buckle so that the leather of the seat and the headrest are protected, AND the buckle is accessible for adjustment.

I am hoping that someone here has figured out a non-destructive way of removing the headrest. It may be hard to fit, but I do love the smartslide to put the little one far back from the front seat, and also to allow moving the 2nd row forward for the fitting of the child seat.

·
Registered
108 Posts
PLEASE tell me the head rests can come off........ I have a special needs car seat that may not fit with the head rest on. Just ordered an Acadia, I made sure that we can fit her wheel chair, but it never dawned on me to check the car seat!!!
By the way Kudo's to you on that car seat install, Awsome job! I'm a stickler for getting safety seats in snuggly.
Lee

·
Registered
159 Posts
Awesome post. Thank you so much. Unfortunately, I have no info. to add. We will be taking delivery of our Acadia at the end of the week and will be using the Latch system for the first time. Until now, we always used the seat belt to secure the car seat, with no problems. Looks like we are in for a real project! :-\

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I don't know about all that foam and the way you have it sitting.

We have the BRitax Roundabout and it reclines and adjusts. I think you shoul dlook into adjusting it that way.

A car seat should never be lifted off the base f the seat or pulled away from the back of the seat. No matter how tight you pull the latch straps it will never be a secure, snug fit.

Also, the seat shoudln't be leanig forward so much like that. The seats are designed with bases like that for a reason. Thet take into account the seat pitch and seat back pitch. Personally, I would remove those foam inserts ASAP.

As for my tether strap that is connected to the seat back, you can adjust the metal clap so it sits in fornt or behind the headrest. Then tighten it like there is no tomorrow. I can put all my weight onto the side of the seat and it won;t budge,

·
Premium Member
894 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joe-
Thanks for your post, I am adjusting our seat after reviewing the Britax site. I had been told in the past that the base should be level, but Britax doesn't say anything like that for front facing, only that on rear facing the seat itself should be at 45-degrees.

That is the kind of info and pics I wanted folks to post so that people didn't screw up their installs-- I just hate it was me that was screwed up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am picking up my new Acadia in 2-3 weeks. Now I wonder if two child seats would fit next to each other on the
2-nd row bench seat. What are the measurements of the 2-nd row and its longer part? Thanks in advance, you lucky owners!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok Joe- I owe you a :cheers:

I took those pool floats out and put the seat right in there, and I suppose it was that I had the back in the "reclined" position, but the seat fit much better. The back toplip of the Britax seat, fit right into the crevice between the headrest and the seat. The seat tightened up well, and I thought it was snug before, but it doesn't compare. When I pull on the kid seat I am more afraid of ripping the big seat off the rails because the child seat just does not move.

The only variation from what you have is that I am still using the small portion of foam to protect the headrest and seat leather from the buckle-- I don't know how you were able to get the buckle to the back or to the front of the headrest, because mine is fixed and fully tightened it would be directly under the headrest. I have one strap under the headrest, and then the buckle just to the side.

I found another use for the pool floats though, I attached it to the rail of hinges on the garage door so that the Acadia door cannot contact metal, just foam in case it does hit the door because the car is not parked far enough up.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Glad I can help.

Every car is different on how to install. The Britax is the best seat and the reclining function helps in the install situation. I always heard that they shouldn;t be so straight up like that. These new seats hug them and keep them situated correctly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just have to say THANK YOU for this post!! I picked up my Acadia today and couldn't install the car seat in a way which was comforting to me. The pictures were such a blessing! Thank you NY_Joe!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this info on Edmunds.com on removing the rear headrests. Haven't tried it, though.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected]@.efcecf4/2187

"1) under headrest are two metal posts each shaft goes into a black plastic grommet.

2) Easier with cloth, but can be done with leather if nervous try on dealer demo and teach them as well. Facing the headrest tackle one post then another.

3) Gently push fabric/leather down metal shaft till you can see a tiny metal c-clip. One might have to tug it side to side to get the clip trough the hole cause clip is larger than the hole. It fits into an indent on the "left edge only" of each post. The clip can spin freely. It is hard to push fabric/stuffing down all this way maybe 3". Use free hand if you have one to open up c-clip with one finger and prop the side up slightly over indent. Now the other side is done with slightly less room to get in there. When you release the other shaft the rest should easily pop out. The flashlight helps you see what is happening unless you got the dual sunroofs.

4) now you can store it in the back or turn it around but it does not now firmly affix because the indents are on the wrong side and the padding doesn't let it insert all the way in. The car seat fits much better now."

Mark

Mark

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Snoukems said:
I just have to say THANK YOU for this post!! I picked up my Acadia today and couldn't install the car seat in a way which was comforting to me. The pictures were such a blessing! Thank you NY_Joe!
Glad to help and keep little ones safe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was able to slip the tether under the headrest. There was just enough room to jimmy it through. I was pleased as I remember reading on this site ages ago, about headrest issues. I was able to secure it to the anchor at that point.

My daughter is in a booster car seat that has a 5 point harness. when she outgrows the harness, it can be removed, and then we can use the seatbelt to buckle her in. THE PROBLEM: the plastic molding at the bottom of the booster seat is so close to that rigid receptacle where the buckle goes in, I'm not sure what we're going to do. It was a huge struggle to get the buckle in, and just as hard to get it out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can squeeze the anchor strap under the headrest---just take your time. also found that if you tilt the seat back as far as possible that helps. also recline the booster seat if your has that feature and then the booster seat will not move.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sal said:
I am picking up my new Acadia in 2-3 weeks. Now I wonder if two child seats would fit next to each other on the
2-nd row bench seat. What are the measurements of the 2-nd row and its longer part? Thanks in advance, you lucky owners!
Good news. We have infant twins, and we have the graco bases side by side in the 2nd row, with the remaining portion folded down. This allows us easy access to the third row, where we have our toddler sitting.

Setup:

1st row Driver Passenger
2nd row Infant - Infant - Folded Down
3rd row Folded Down - Toddler

We were in a yukon xl with captain's chairs prior to this and this setup is a million times easier.

·
Registered
683 Posts
You know I kinda passed over this thread in the past, as I just assumed I had everything correct. Now that I read NY_Joe's post about the base I'm going to have to redo my setup. We too heard you needed to keep the base level and I have been using a rolled up bath towel under the back edge of the base to lift it up slightly in the rear. Its tight as all heck in there so I never thought it a problem. We have the exact same Britax Roundabout. I'll be reading up on Britax's site the instruction manual this weekend to get it right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts