GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about this in the consumer reviews of the Acadia on Edmunds.com.

"I added a Fitch Fuel Catalyst to gain 4 mpg".

I don't know what this is. Can someone shed some light?

·
Registered
164 Posts
From the website:

"The Fitch Fuel Catalyst, a permanent fuel treatment device that reformulates fuel, resuscitates partially oxidized fuel, and suppresses growth of bacteria in fuel. This product insures that all fuel delivered to a combustion engine is in its optimal condition allowing an engine to extract the maximum amount of energy with minimal emissions per kg of fuel."

It's some sort of canister the size of a soup can that is installed in the fuel line. It runs about $177.
Not sure if it works or if it is like any other number of "fuel saving" devices.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$177 seems a small price to pay for those kind of results - 4MPG more takes the Acadia to another level entirely. However, I am kind of skeptical. Is this for real? And if it is, why isn't it standard equipment on all cars? I may be a girl but that would seem to make sense to me if the results are duplicated across the board.

·
Registered
468 Posts
mmsimpson said:
Is this for real? And if it is, why isn't it standard equipment on all cars? I may be a girl but that would seem to make sense to me if the results are duplicated across the board.
I think you just answered your own question.

·
Registered
118 Posts
that reminds me of that "tornado" device that you installed in your air intake tube. seems like it was about $60 and promised 2-3 mpg more than you are presently getting. any one remember the name, and, do they still sell it?

like the soup can, if it worked and was that easy, it would be standard equipment on every car made.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was watching MotorWeek today and they touched on these types of products on Goss' Garage. He said something like "If it seems too good to be true, it's too good to be true."

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like something my dad would by then - he is alwayskind of a sucker for those kinds of gimmicks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
texas123 said:
that reminds me of that "tornado" device that you installed in your air intake tube. seems like it was about $60 and promised 2-3 mpg more than you are presently getting. any one remember the name, and, do they still sell it?
I seem to remember these devices and if memory serves they actually caused some engine problems (burned valves or something along those lines). :eek:

·
Registered
812 Posts
i remember these tornado commercial stating an increase of 15-30 hp increase on stock, and if you put 2 of these that a whooping 45-60 hp increase.... you can basically have 500 hp on your 4 banger with 8 of these suckers crammed in your intake system!!!! LOL :bs:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just check out Ebay any day of the week for any of the 3 lambdas and there will be plenty of "tornado-like" contraptions to stick in your intake. My guess is the design causes the airflow to be so turbulent, that it works by robbing the engine of HP in return for greater MPG.

We did just the opposite in hopping up our imports...took AWAY the accordian style intake tubes and replaced with smooth inner-walled pipes to allow the airflow to rush thru faster. Colder air = More HP, but crappy gas mileage is the tradeoff.

·
Registered
812 Posts
likewise.... :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts