GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted a previous rant about the fit/alignment of my driver door and rear quarter panels. This past saturday I took it back to the dealer for a look-see. The service dept. says they can most likely adjust the door alignment but not the rear quarter.

My issue is: I bought a $38,000 vehicle, and even though it's mass-produced I still expect fit and finish to be within acceptable limits.

My question is: What will GM do to compensate me for this visual annoyance that I'll have to tolerate for the life of this vehicle, and who do I contact to get some satisfaction?

I know others here have fit issues as well ... what is our recourse?

No offense to the GM employees on this site who have built one helluva vehicle - and should be very proud of it! This issue happens with every manufacturer. I love the Acadia and have no regrets ... I just want to get the body parts all in alignment, as they should be!

·
Registered
123 Posts
NNJSteve said:
I've posted a previous rant about the fit/alignment of my driver door and rear quarter panels. This past saturday I took it back to the dealer for a look-see. The service dept. says they can most likely adjust the door alignment but not the rear quarter.

My issue is: I bought a $38,000 vehicle, and even though it's mass-produced I still expect fit and finish to be within acceptable limits.

My question is: What will GM do to compensate me for this visual annoyance that I'll have to tolerate for the life of this vehicle, and who do I contact to get some satisfaction?

I know others here have fit issues as well ... what is our recourse?

No offense to the GM employees on this site who have built one helluva vehicle - and should be very proud of it! This issue happens with every manufacturer. I love the Acadia and have no regrets ... I just want to get the body parts all in alignment, as they should be!
SOUNDS AS IF THIS ONE KINDA SLIPPED THROUGH INSPECTION...PERHAPS THEY SHOULD GIVE YOU A NEW VEHICLE... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can you take some pictures illustating your problem? I can't understand what could be so disturbing that you'd want compensation. I really don't have an eye for it, so don't take offense.

Pete

·
Registered
70 Posts
Please post some pictures if you can.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I also can't imagine how much of an imperfection this must be. I have walked around my SLT-2 several times looking for ANY slightest deviations or variations in the gaps on the body panels and have found none.

I also would want to know if your Acadia was one that you ordered, or one you purchased off the lot? If the former, why were these imperfections not noticed then? And if the later, and you were somehow forced to take delivery of a vehicle that was not up to par then I would think you may have recourse. In any event, without an photograph, I can't imagine just how bad this may be.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dan-M said:
I also can't imagine how much of an imperfection this must be. I have walked around my SLT-2 several times looking for ANY slightest deviations or variations in the gaps on the body panels and have found none.

I also would want to know if your Acadia was one that you ordered, or one you purchased off the lot? If the former, why were these imperfections not noticed then? And if the later, and you were somehow forced to take delivery of a vehicle that was not up to par then I would think you may have recourse. In any event, without an photograph, I can't imagine just how bad this may be.
Well, I did purchase it from dealer inventory (they got it on trade). Test drove it at night with the family. Picked it up on a Saturday afternoon, when the dealership was buzzing (and we were strapped for time - unbeknownst to me a surprise 50th birthday party awaited upon our return from the dealer). So I didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb like I should have ... and didn't notice the fit issues until a day or two later (I don't drive it on a daily basis). I can probably live with the fit issues if they are not fixable, but if so I would hope GM will throw something back my way - like maybe the hitch I wanted (the ONLY thing the Acadia I bought did not have) to tow a bike rack with. Something like that. I should have time tonight to take some pics and will post them on Wednesday morning.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You know what...if it isn't right, it isn't right! Period. Who says you "should have or why didn't you" notice when you got it. Hell, we didn't inspect ours to that degree either. Fortunately, everything seems to be "in alignment" with ours. That said, I don't know about compensation, but I would imagine GM would take care of it for you. But that would mean an honest dealer who won't try to talk you out of something they may think it small potatoes. I agree with you. It should be right, no matter how or why it happened. It just did!!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
etgus said:
You know what...if it isn't right, it isn't right! Period. Who says you "should have or why didn't you" notice when you got it. Hell, we didn't inspect ours to that degree either. Fortunately, everything seems to be "in alignment" with ours. That said, I don't know about compensation, but I would imagine GM would take care of it for you. But that would mean an honest dealer who won't try to talk you out of something they may think it small potatoes. I agree with you. It should be right, no matter how or why it happened. It just did!!!!
Thank you ... I was trying to be PC with my response to DanM but I have to admit his tone disturbed me a bit. In a perfect world we do everything right at the delivery stage but sometimes it just doesn't happen due to outside circumstances. You have astutely recognized the real issue here - that the exterior assembly was flawed - period. :thumb:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just want to see what's going on with yours so I can look at mine and see if it's similar. Pictures please.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I don't think Dan was meaning YOU should have caught it. I think he meant your dealer and everyone else that handles your car before you got it. They bring it in, it sits on the lot, they show it to other customers, they clean it up and get it ready for you. THEY should have noticed if there was a problem. I admit, I was in a HUGE hurry to get mine, the dealer was ready to close and I had just flown in from CA. I didn't look at everything either. I just wanted it after the LONG wait.

·
Registered
524 Posts
NNJSteve said:
etgus said:
Thank you ... I was trying to be PC with my response to DanM but I have to admit his tone disturbed me a bit. In a perfect world we do everything right at the delivery stage but sometimes it just doesn't happen due to outside circumstances. You have astutely recognized the real issue here - that the exterior assembly was flawed - period. :thumb:
Don't be disturbed! I was just looking at it from a legal standpoint. Of course that is disturbing at times.

As the saying Goes, Caveat emptor.... "let the buyer beware." And as we have no pictures to judge for ourselves it's not possible for me or anyone here to know if we have the same fit as you. If that was the case then you have no recourse with the dealer, or GMC. It's just the way it is, and without you noticing it first, before you drove it off the lot, then thats what you bought. It would be no different if you decide that you didn't like the color once you took it home, and tried to say the lighting prevented you from seeing the way it really looked. I'm not trying to be nasty, I just live with a trial lawyer and now how the system works in regard to being unhappy with what you bought.

So, anyway, when the pictures are posted me, and everyone else here will be able to decide if we agree or not, that you indeed have a flaw in your panel fit, and it warrants your, or anyones dissatisfaction and claim that it should be made right.

Good luck to you! Dan

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dan-M said:
NNJSteve said:
etgus said:
Don't be disturbed! I was just looking at it from a legal standpoint. Of course that is disturbing at times.

As the saying Goes, Caveat emptor.... "let the buyer beware." And as we have no pictures to judge for ourselves it's not possible for me or anyone here to know if we have the same fit as you. If that was the case then you have no recourse with the dealer, or GMC. It's just the way it is, and without you noticing it first, before you drove it off the lot, then thats what you bought. It would be no different if you decide that you didn't like the color once you took it home, and tried to say the lighting prevented you from seeing the way it really looked. I'm not trying to be nasty, I just live with a trial lawyer and now how the system works in regard to being unhappy with what you bought.

So, anyway, when the pictures are posted me, and everyone else here will be able to decide if we agree or not, that you indeed have a flaw in your panel fit, and it warrants your, or anyones dissatisfaction and claim that it should be made right.

Good luck to you! Dan
Dan,
Thanks for enlightening me on why you are so, er, analytical. I blew my chance last eve to get some shots, and when I get home tonight if it's still not raining I'll get those shots done so everyone can have a look-see and keep this thread going!
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
70 Posts
As a GM Employee - I agree the customer is always right. We need to get back to that (and our dealers too). If the customer dosen't like it then it's wrong.

Hopefully it is someting we can fix.

:thumb:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Fit & Finish Item - here's the pics

don willems said:
As a GM Employee - I agree the customer is always right. We need to get back to that (and our dealers too). If the customer dosen't like it then it's wrong.

Hopefully it is someting we can fix.

:thumb:
Don,

Thanks for your concern ... and to everyone else who has contributed to this thread! Here's the pics of the driver door and driver side rear quarter panel. Comments welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
oh man... that driver door alignment would definitley annoy me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wouldnt accept anything but a perfect fix if I were you.

I certainly would start my way up GM's corporate ladder to get satisfaction, if it were me.

The service dept that got your Acadia ready should have seen that...ugh.

Good Luck!
J.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would say that you are NOT over-reacting. That looks like crap, particularly the door.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Forget sompensation that would drive me nuts. I have 39 month lease and and could not live with that for 39 minutes. I feel a little sick just picturing in mind those pictures.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow, that is not right. Regardless if you 'missed' it at delivery. GM needs to fix it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: Fit & Finish Item - here's the pics

NNJSteve said:
Thanks for your concern ... and to everyone else who has contributed to this thread! Here's the pics of the driver door and driver side rear quarter panel. Comments welcome!

rear quarter is just a plastic insert which is flexible. Pop two caps, loose two screws, move the panel to the proper location and tie them back.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts