GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had some exceptionally beautiful weather yesterday, so I decided to wash and clay the Acadia.
This was my first time claying, so this took much longer than I thought it would.
Unfortunately I was not able to finish the entire vehicle.
I ended up just claying the lift gate, as we had a party to go to, and I ran short of time.

I washed the entire vehicle three times prior to claying, and even on the third wash, I still had dirt in the bucket.
I saw a lot of junk on the vehicle, especially behind the tires, that would just not come off with hand washing.
Another thing I noticed is I always seem to get tiny rust dots on the surface of the vehicle,
especially on the lift gate and behind the front wheels. These rust dots will just not come off with hand washing.
These are probably iron particles accumulating on the clear coat, which then start to rust. Because my Acadia is silver,
these are very noticeable on the vehicle.

Well I have to say, if you have never clayed your car, do it.
The clay bar is incredible at removing junk you can't even see on the surface.
I clayed the first small area, then looked at the clay, and could not believe how much junk was in it!
BTW, my Acadia is only 6 months old too!

Claying I've found is very easy to do, but it is very time consuming and tedious.
Although I still found it almost therapeutic to just spend the day washing and detailing the vehicle.
I followed up the clayed lift gate with some Klasse AIO and Klasse sealant.
Unfortunately we are expecting rain (and possibly snow :sosad:) all day, so the rest of the Acadia
must wait for another nice day.

In short, get a clay bar and treat your ride to a nice day of cleaning.
It is fun and easy[/color], enjoy!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I saw 2 clay bars on sale @ Wal Mart the other day for $10, I guess I should have bought them if it's as easy as you make it sound.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Did I read one has to buy the right claybar NOT to abraze CLEARCOAT finishes? Could be like using some types of rubbing compound?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I haven't heard that; here is the one I bought

Attachments

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Maybe I am over cautious? If the claybar says is good on Clearcoat finish, then might buy. Clearcoat is so fine a finish compared to a plain painted pc of metal. I am under the impression, if you have a clearcoat finish, you don't need any claybar? Maybe if you are using a straight 100% Cabana wax or beeswax over non clearcoat finish, you might want to use a claybar first. My Klasse AIO seems to lift all dirt off my clearcoat finish as my white Cobra polishing cloth tells me its black\dirty. Claybar might be an extra step not needed and damaging as clear coat is supposed to protect paint finish in the first place. What am I missing? Claybar a gimick to use on clearcoat?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
teetertotter said:
Maybe I am over cautious? If the claybar says is good on Clearcoat finish, then might buy. Clearcoat is so fine a finish compared to a plain painted pc of metal. I am under the impression, if you have a clearcoat finish, you don't need any claybar? Maybe if you are using a straight 100% Cabana wax or beeswax over non clearcoat finish, you might want to use a claybar first. My Klasse AIO seems to lift all dirt off my clearcoat finish as my white Cobra polishing cloth tells me its black\dirty. Claybar might be an extra step not needed and damaging as clear coat is supposed to protect paint finish in the first place. What am I missing? Claybar a gimick to use on clearcoat?
Tetter,

If you use it, you'll see what I mean about being truely clean.
The clay doesn't effect the clear coat at all. I was scared to use it at first, I even called the
place I bought it from three times before I decided to go ahead and use it (Chemical Guys - great place by the way, 24 hour/day customer support).
After doing about a 6 square inch spot, not only did I become a pro, I couldn't wait to do the rest of the vehicle.
The main thing is, if it looks like you have a lot of "crap" in the clay, or you have any really big pieces,
just fold the clay over to a clean surface ( I also started picking out the big pieces, so I wouldn't use it up so quickly).
If you use the lube that comes with the clay, you have nothing to worry about.
Washing your car when it is dirty, is far more "dangerous" to your finish than using a clay bar on a clean surface.
I even used it on the chrome trim on the lift gate and the bumper, and even the Acadia and GMC badges.
There were no ill effects, scratches, or any imperfections from claying.

Well it did end up snowing today :sosad:
Guess it will wait until next weekend :eek:hno:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
teetertotter said:
Did I read one has to buy the right claybar NOT to abraze CLEARCOAT finishes? Could be like using some types of rubbing compound?
There are different grades.
If your vehicle is pretty clean, try a mild grade.

These guys are really cool and helpful, and the clay bar is 180 grams, which is pretty big compared to
most other places I've found for the same price!

http://www.chemicalguys.com/

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
...After doing about a 6 square inch spot, not only did I become a pro, I couldn't wait to do the rest of the vehicle.
Planning a trip to Florida anytime soon? I have a few candidates. :)

Thanks for the info, I've never used one of these and while I had heard of them I hadn't looked into the application process.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Planning a trip to Florida anytime soon? I have a few candidates. :)

Thanks for the info, I've never used one of these and while I had heard of them I hadn't looked into the application process.
I actually may be going next fall. :blob:

I love Florida, I just hate all the urban development and population growth.
So many of the unique natural areas are just completely destroyed.
Not to mention some of the most interesting and beautiful animals in the world
(Scrub Jay, Florida Panther, Eastern Indigo Snake, Manatee, etc.). :eek:hno:
Very very sad. :sosad:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I can identify with what you said- the growth in the southern part of the state drove us north when I retired. They were starting to build on 50' wide 0 lot line lots in one new subdivision where we came from. A guy that used to work for me from the Miami area commented the houses were so close together there that they had to ask their neighbors to close a window so they could open theirs (joking, but not far from the truth). Still plenty of nature here- Mrs. Blue has made some feeding stations for birds in our backyard & we get deer and turkey within 50' or so of our porch (low quality pic attached). We border a plantation so there is a lot of wildlife in the area. It's so quiet you can hear a Hemi from almost 1/2 mile away while inside the house. :-[

I want to try the clay bar on the Challenger since I saw some spots on it after the last wash.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
As Copperhead pointed out, there are different grades of clay. I have a few different grades that I use depending upon what I'm going to be doing overall to the car. If my plan is to polish the car, then I'll use a more aggressive clay. Medium to heavy claybars WILL leave micromarring on your clearcoat. Trust me, I've put plenty of micromarring on clearcoat finishes over the past couple of years. Since I knew I was going to be polishing the car afterwards, I wasn't worried about it as a good DA or rotary polisher, pad and polishe will take them right out. Polishing is a whole 'nother topic. More agressive clays require less passes over panels depending upon how bad they are.

If I'm just going to wax a car and the car needs claying, there are some milder clays out there that I prefer. One being from our friends up north, but that's another topic as well. I've heard that the Sonus mild green clay is pretty good without micromarring, but I've never used it myself. I tried some Mother's clay once. Did one panel and it went straight into the trash. Don't waste your money. For a more aggressive clay, I like the Adam's grey clay, but this is the one that I also know may introduce micromarring.

A good way to test whether your car needs to be clayed is to get a plastic zip-loc sandwich baggie. Put your hand in and gently run your fingertips over the paint. If it feels like sandpaper, then you need to clay. I try to clay my cars about twice a year and polish once. Let me know if there are any questions.

Also wanted to add to not be afraid to use that clay on your windshield. You'll definitely notice a difference.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Thanks for the link; that is the kit I bought. I was a little concerned that maybe the clay would be too abrasive, but after that video my concerns are gone.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
You're welcome.

My curiosity got the better of me this evening and I decided I'd clay my Acadia. I'd washed it just this afternoon after returning from a trip up to OR, and I'd never done a clay job before. A couple months ago I bought a Mother's Clay Bar kit (clay bar, Showtime Instant Detailer, and Carnuba Cleaner Wax), so I used that clay bar and the Instant Detailer. Worked like a champ. Sprayed the lubricant on an area, gently slid the clay bar over the wet surface, then wiped off the remaining lubricant. Just did the hood and the front fenders. Smooth as glass now. Then I applied some Mequiar's Ultimate Quik Wax.

Tomorrow I may just have to go on an errand or two so lots of people will be able to see what a magnificent sight a Red Jewel Acadia really is. GMC ought to pay me for the moving advertising service I'll be providing for them. It would only be fair.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
All you need to do is clay bar the whole thing and then get one of those cool forum clings and you can advertise for both GM and the forum.

Admin, any words on those window clings?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The best thing to do is get three of your buddies have them bring there cars over. Work on one car at a time and you'll finish (3 cars) in 3-4 hours. I use mcquires clay kit, it makes the car super smooth and shiny!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
jsimms said:
I haven't heard that; here is the one I bought
So I broke out the clay bar kit Sunday for a trial run; I clayed half the hood and left the other half cleanly washed. I then enlisted the help of an independent expert (Mrs. Simms) to see if she could notice anything different about the hood. I asked her to come out and tell me if she saw any differences. Her first reaction was :eek:hno: "what have you done to the Acadia"; I reassured her nothing was wrong. She then proceeded to look at the hood and at first she didn't notice anything. After 30 seconds of looking at it; she remarked that one side was shinier than the other (+1 points). She then ran her hand across the clayed side and remarked about how smooth it was (+1 point again). I told her to do the same thing to the untreated side and she said it felt rougher than the treated side (+1 points). I then let her in on the secret and she then said "well you better get busy on the rest of MY CAR". :banghead: I told her next weekend; and she settled on that answer. That clay kit works wonders.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.