GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just filled up my new Acadia after its first (free) tank of gas from the dealer. I had about 360 miles on about 19 gallons (give or take). That equates to about 19mpg. For a FWD, I realize this is kinda low, but also realize this is the first tank of gas through it, and it's still in the break-in stage, and that I wasn't out on a long road trip with the cruise on.

I've been breaking it in per the other threads (i.e. trying not to drive a constant speed for long periods/distances, varying your speeds, not using trailering, etc.). The driving has been mainly in the metro/rural/city, so varying from 30 mph zones to 55's mostly. I still have a few more miles til I had the 500 mile mark, but I was just curious, knowing full well it won't be for a while, if anyone knows roughly when the Acadia's gas mileage will start to level off. In other words, at what point in time (mile mark) will the gas mileage start to reflect what the actual mileage I may get with the vehicle for the remainder of it's life?

I've heard not til after 1000 miles, not til after 5000 miles, etc. Anyone have any thoughts on when to actually start "caring" about the mileage I'm getting? Cuz in all reality, I know these first few tanks (hopefully) won't be a representative sample of my mileage, say at the 10000 mile mark, and thus I won't get too worked up if it's significnatly lower than expected. In all reality, if I can average 19mpg around the city/metro, I'll be pretty happy, hoping it gets better for long highway driving (for the FWD at least).

Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
First of all, congratulations on your purchase. Hopefully, you will be as pleased with your vehicle as we are of ours. Our Acadia is now a year old and has 15,000 mi. on it. We have enjoyed it in every way. It is the right size for our needs (still have two teenage girls in house). It's comfortable, quiet, and well laid out.

My opinion on gas mileage is that it will continue to vary depending on driving habits and conditions. Our Acadia is basically the daily driver. My wife drives it to work, does all the chauffering of kids, and does all the errands in it. I get to drive it to church and family outings. Typically the DIC says about 15.5 mpg. I find that exceptable based on previous vehicles(Explorer, Expedition, Audi allroad). It's better than any of those vehicles driven for that purpose. Just last week we took it on a 1000 mi. trip through southern Colorado. Most of the trip was on state highways, mountain roads, and some freeway. I made it a point not to exceed 65 mph during the trip. Elavation varied from 5,500 ft. to 10,900 ft. (beautiful country). The Acadia was fairly loaded, four adults, lugage, gear. I reset the DIC before we left home. At the end of the trip it read 22.5 mpg. I'm pretty happy with that. It is after all, a large, heavy vehicle. I have gotten as high as 23.9 mpg on road trips in flatter terrain.

Again, congratulations and welcome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts